Left and Right

This one is something that hasn’t been discussed at all, even though this is currently a function in U3 where you can select whether you want a left-handed or right-handed character. If this mechanic were to continue into UII, then some advantages and disadvantages would have to be addressed.

Essentially, there are right-handed guns, which are the majority, left-handed guns, which are a minority, and ambidextrous guns, which function equally well whether in the hands of someone who if left-handed or right-handed.

Left-handed characters would have an advantage leaning around left corners as this would explose less of their person, but would also be at a disadvantage when leaning around right corners. The opposite is true for those who are right-handed.

In addition, a left-handed person using a right-handed gun would reload slower, and in the case of bolt-actions, work the bolt slower due to being forced to use their non-dominant hand, as well as spent cartridge cases being ejected across their screen instead of off to one side.

As shown by the stock image above, this particular shotgun ejects to the right, meaning a left-handed person using this would have the spent shells ejected across his/her screen, possibly obstrucitng vision to a degree.

Ambidextrous guns can be used equally well by both left and right-handed users, and cartridge cases could be confirgured to eject in either direction or downwards to obstruct vision less.

6 Likes

Very original, not likely. Seems to unessery for 2. Or any game. But mabye, just mabye.

6 Likes

Hmmm…Interesting little detail there.Not a priority,but interesting.

1 Like

I think all guns should be right handed, but thr animations be different like a left handed person moving their hand over the gun to rack the bolt.

do i dare make a leftist rightist joke…

EDIT: fuck it im doing it anyways

EDIT EDIT: alright so i cant find a good rightist meme so uhhh… never mind this post

If 80% of people are right handed, then probably around 80% of guns are righthanded, so why would anyone play as a lefty when 80% of the time why have to deal with shells obstructing their vision? This would also require Nelson to remake most animations to have a left handed version. Why not just keep 3.0s version, where its just mirrored without any effects or anything so that left handed people, or really people that just want their gun on the left for aesthetics can do that. The only way I could ever see this making sense is if traits would be implemented, with lefty being a negative one.

Seems really arbitrary

3 Likes

redcomm meant:

tbh it’s a nice small detail, not really neccessary tho, just mirror the animation.

I just made this because muh realism. Not to mention simply mirroring the weapon models is dumb to me, but that’s just me.

1 Like

On top of all this being quite unnecessary and tedious IMO, it would seem very easy to circumvent, seeing as dominant hand selection is currently a setting that can be changed at any time (in 3.0).

I just see no reason for this to exist. It’s realistic, but not something we need.

2 Likes

Why i need this on game?

It can’t be changed at all in Unturned II, as there’s no character customization yet. Even if for some (completely baseless) reason, Unturned II had character customization exactly the same as in 2 or 3, instead of the customization system being adjusted to what customization options there would be in 4.X and how they would impact gameplay, it still would’t something you can just change on the fly, as “currently” you need to exit to the main menu before you can customize your character.

As a left handed person:

Fuck off.

3 Likes

Quoting @AnimaticFreak here:

I don’t believe your suggestion improves/evolves anything at all, and seems to be more of a nuisance the player would have to deal with for no valid reason.

Literally just have all the guns & gun animations mirrored for left-handed users and call it a day. No need to make a storm on a cup of water.

2 Likes

I think this dives into the issue of where do we draw realism. Im a lefty IRL and I shoot like a righty only because its easier and rly you can get comfortable with it. Aswell almost like all guns are gonna be right handed so I think it’d just be dumb to add this level of detail.

Doesn’t Unturned already have an option to make your character lefty or Righty?

it does but hes asking whether or not guns should be left/right handed

well just make it an option! like what 3.x does!

I thought on this as a good idea a the start, but now I can’t take my like back.

Damn you, red scum

If weapons holding and animations aren’t mirrored, but instead changed for lefty players like you proposed, it might look as a nice detail in favor on realism.

Now, this is totally ignoring the debuffs and the existence of guns designed for lefty people. I thought on this at the start as some help for variety, but indeed it adds nothing useful and can even become annoying.

1 Like

pretty nice detail, but not really anything more

I was referring to version 3, but either way, the fact stands that I could theoretically find a left-handed gun and immediately leave to the menu to just change my dominant hand.

This mechanic really doesn’t do anything productive, because it doesn’t add to gameplay, but also because it’s so easy to circumvent.