Let's talk about guns

In tarkov, there is no difference between a pistol or a submachine gun if your limb is killed. on the contrary, it is better to have a machine gun, because using painkillers, there is a chance to give the last battle even with dead limbs

1 Like

alas, but a pistol is a second chance weapon, it is not a full-fledged weapon in war

1 Like

Although I do agree with you, I think the logic to ‘just wait for unturned 2’ is not a good one. Unturned 3 will still be a game, even when Unturned 4.0/II is released. It may still be unbalanced at that point (and probably will), but shrugging off arguably ‘bad’ gameplay mechanic for the hope that it will be fixed in another game seems kinda sad to me. Theres many things that unturned 3 could do to improve gun balancing without too much of a change/effort.
Idk I’m excited for Unturned II, but then again I’m not going to leave unturned 3.0 completely in the dust and I still think it will be popular to some extent. So I dont see why the extra effort shouldn’t be put in towards Unturned 3 (and I think this mentality was recently adopted by Nelson and explains all the awesome new updates we are getting to 3.0 + I cant wait for more)
And it’s not even about realism, more just from a fun gameplay perspective. If I want to use a different assult rifle to everyone else, I shouldn’t have to be put at a clear disadvantage to them, but instead play to that specific weapons strengths.

1 Like

Yeah I agree on the logic of waiting for U4 that’s why I gave some ways you could balance it in U3 but the issue will prevails we would need more systems that allow more game play mechanics for the gun play to be changed ie weight or some others I can’t think of them atm. The other thing is realism is not a thing here in Unturned guns for example the Bulldog is in 9mm IRL while the Cobra is in 9mm IRL also so would they have same damage, wrong cobra does 25 bulldog 20. Another is maplestrike and nightraider both IRL take 5.56 maplestrike does 40 while nightraider is 43. There’s countless examples of that If you want realism wait for U4 but yeah I agree on there should not be a rigid gun meta. U3 is pretty rigid system for guns from what I can tell though so it’s hard to break that meta to a degree. Nelson could change stats for it and fix it to a degree.

2 Likes

The problem with your thinking is that you want development, talk about new mechanics, and then broads and words about balance
Balance is not new mechanics, there is no balance in any game because it is always subjective, and in life it does not exist anymore, there are specifically constructively unsuccessful automata, which are inferior to others - only the automaton designer is to blame for this, which could not make it worthy of it
Survival means you use whatever comes your way, no matter the best rifle or the bad

1 Like

New mechanics don’t = balance
new mechanics mean new features and weapon counters, but that would be very cool in Unturned 3, I even made a topic about it. Underbarrel grenade launcher
But we must admit that ordinary players do not care about new chips, and for Nelson, the introduction of new mechanics is a large layer of work, which he will not agree to, until the players of all the community unanimously ask him

2 Likes

I didnt mean to suggest new mechanics, only balancing the current guns and not waiting for a new game to fix all the problems. I do agree new mechanics does not directly = balance. I was suggesting smaller implementations with the current system to improve ‘fairness’ of particular guns.
Im still conflicted about your thinking. Maybe a translation issue? I would go on but I might make a separate post about this entirely.
Also maybe try and and do one big post with all your thoughts, rather than spamming the topic with a bunch of smaller responses.

2 Likes

talk about guns
ok

pick up gun
pull trigger
gun go bllllllllllllllllllllllllat bllllllllllllllllllllllllat bllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllat bllllllllat chick shick chi-ching

conversation over

2 Likes

Perhaps an idea from a major post makes sense.
As for balance, I already told you - this is a subjective concept.
I understand that it’s boring to run all the time with one weapon, only because it is the most effective, and there are no alternatives
And using other weapons will have to measure up with the fact that it is somewhat inferior.

1 Like

It’s just that if you do it like in life, it doesn’t matter, in most cases, what kind of weapon you have, it is important what caliber it is and what cartridges you loaded it with
But for this you need to create new mechanics so that it does not look crooked in the game.

2 Likes

I’ve said this before and I’ll say this again. The most abundant and common types of ammunition in Unturned II should be (from most to least) .22LR, 9mm, 12 gauge, .223 Remington, and .308 Winchester in that order. (5.56 & .223 have different PSIs, same applies with .308 & 7.62 NATO). That being said, it’s disappointing seeing the Unturned gun play being based more around select fire assault rifles rather than semi-auto civilian sporting rifles (yes, that includes the AR-15 because it’s a semi-auto only rifle).

Also, a big reason why the gun meta is in it’s current state is the option to turn on/off gun degradation & ease of repairing guns even if it is turned on (only a bit of scrap). For Unturned II I believe the way to solve this problem is to have a corresponding cleaning kit & gun parts to fix the existing problem. Oh you chose to use a FAMAS on a map based in the US? Good luck finding the parts & gun cleaning kit for it because there were only 400 FAMAS rifles imported to the US.

4 Likes

unturned needs an entire, comprehensive overhaul to its weapon sandbox + skills and hopefully we might see that in the near future. everything from assault rifles dominating to dual caliber to attachment durability to recoil and everything in between needs to be looked at. kuwait had a good thing going with their weapon handling and i hope to see more of that in the future

1 Like

I still have 1 thing to say

WHY DO THEY ALL STILL HAVE ABSURD +99 ZOMBIE DAMAGE

3 Likes

After getting through the everything said I’d like to say that:

1. One-shot zombies are okay, I guess. After all in this game they are not your main enemy plus it makes Unturned somewhat more friendly towards the noobs. If they shoot a zombie then it’s most likely that they will kill that zombie. Most veterans use melee weapons on zombies anyway.

2. Altough assault rifles (and most importantly, Maplestrike) do need a nerf, it should not be too big. Maybe, make AR damage around 40, not 44 and decrease fire rate a little? And Heartbreaker should see a fire rate increase, probably.

3. Pistols, SMGs, - they all need a buff. Speaking about the pistols I’d say that Ace is a good all-rounder and is just in the perfect spot, but the Desert Eagle is weird - first 2 shots are fast, but the next ones are slow. Sure, it has 88 head damage, but good luck hitting your target first. It should become somewhat more consistent, I guess. Civilian pistols like 1911 and Kryzkarek lack player damage, a slight buff would be very good. SMGs need to receive a slight damage buff to make all of them somewhat consistent. Viper, for example, has less damage than a Cobra - why?

4. Shotguns might need to get their range increased. As I remember, Greece shotguns had a whopping 40m range. Crazy. I’d say that Bluntforce would be alright with 25m(as it is the king amongst the vanilla shotguns when it comes to range), Masterkey with 17.5-20m and Vonya with 22.5-25m. The Devil’s Bane should keep the 15m range that it has now or get 17.5m range as it is very situational anyway. And Sawed-Off should get the 15m range, since right now it’s a weird gun.

5. Attachments. Nobody uses suppressors and it might be interesting to let people actually use them. How about letting us putting military/ranger suppressors on guns like 1911, Ace, Schofield, Hawkhound? They would be really nice. Of course, we have a Makeshift muffler, but it lasts for 10 shots and is very bulky. Also, how about adding a 6x scope as an alternative/replacement to the bulky makeshift one? It would be really nice on Yukon, for example.

2 Likes

Nelson should make a gun that weighs one hundred fifty kilograms and fires two hundred dollar, custom-tooled cartridges at ten thousand rounds per minute.

2 Likes

What I don’t understand about guns is why they occupy inventory space. An assault rifle would either be carried on hands or at the back, and a small pistol you would carry behind the waist. I do however understand that if you are going to be taking more weapons, then a bag would be the proper way to carry them around. Instead of being placed in the IN-ventory, they should be OUT-ventory.

Also, I would add double hands for pistols. And in a survival game like Unturned unlike Military simulators, ammo must be crafted and not just found in full boxes randomly.

Also, why I can’t revert the process of UNLOADING magazines so I can use the same bullets for another weapon instead?

1 Like

I did not understand what did you mean about carried guns occupying space since when a gun is equipped it is already not occupying any space except the weapon slot.

However I do agree that it might be a good idea to allow us carry one more mellee weapon/tool in slot 3, as right now we have to either have a gun and a mellee weapon or two guns and both options put you at a disadvantage. Maybe a 3x1 slot would be fine, since it would allow just small weapons like knives or katana/machete?
(I hope that it does not need a lot of work from Nelson since he already overhauled the UI and adding one more slot kind of means him needing to do that again, but in a smaller scale.)

Double-wielded pistols is not what we are going to see any time soon since it would need a lot of stuff from Nelson to do. Right now it’s better to think about the stuff that can be changed much more faster - things such as weapon/item stats or just adding an item in the game.

I almost agree with the unloading thing, but, perhaps, it should be kept as it is? And you can craft ammo for the makeshift guns.

@MediumPlayer Nelson needs to focus on Unturned II right now. He’s already gone back and fixed 3.0 several times, Unturned II isn’t any closer to release and we’ve been waiting for four years now.

Exactly. We were waiting and waiting, the hype is long gone and many people left the game. Although I understand that Nelson works alone and has no previous experience with Unreal 4 and that he also wants to do everything properly to ensure there would be less troubles in the future (unlike 3.0’s spaghetti code which makes many tweaks a big problem) but the 3.0 lives on and he needs it to live on. He still releases weekly updates where he introduces new features for modders and accepts community maps and skins. He even overhauled the UI completely and is now consolidating resource files. I think that changing stats of some weapons might not cause a lot of trouble - you literally change a number and that’s it. How to change and what to change is what this forum is meant for. PDW got replaced with Swissgewehr recently and the reason for that is a poll people voted in. You know that yourself, 'cause you voted there. Let’s discuss further then together, if Nelson is willing to listen. Who knows if there will be another opportunity?

1 Like

I think my issue can be solved by your proposal of a third slot for melee exclusively, and in that order I would continue to expand the idea with drums/magazines as well. Because there are many occasions in which I lose a drum in the heat of a fight because I picked up some loot that was automatically placed in an inventory slot where the replacement drum should have been stored instead. It sucks a lot for me when I want to switch my sniper out to take on an assault rifle, but I must first relocate items in my inventory to open a 5x2 which I originally had beforehand but was reduced to a smaller space due to how inventory system works.

Going back to the beginning of my comment, I really need an easier way to access items that you wouldn’t usually be packing inside a bag or pocket: Katana, Chainsaw, Axe :axe:, Pickaxe :pick:

1 Like