Make SMGs/Pistols/Shotguns great again

I believe I’ve made this type of post before, and I’m not going to copy and paste all of that.

I said previously that fully automatic weapons should be very rare in vanilla Unturned II and if you’re going to get them you better have some decent gear. Pistols, shotguns, hell even low tier rifles and carbines (Including pistol caliber carbines) should be way more common. SMGs should also be rare as they’re fully automatic but should absolutely dominate in CQC.

I also said that weapons should have their own individual trade-offs, including ammo commonality, damage, accuracy, reliability & durability, ammo capacity, damage at certain ranges, weapon and ammo weight, etc. Like for example, a .22 rifle can have really common ammo and good ammo capacity at the cost of low damage per shot and long range accuracy. Or a .50 BMG Anti-Material Rifle could have very high damage and accuracy per shot at the cost of durability, and ammo rarity. Every weapon should come with trade-offs, so that no one weapon is perfect. For example, use an SMG at close range and get higher damage at 10-20 meters than firing an SMG at 50-100 meters.

In fact, all gear should come with trade-offs of one form or another. Like the military gear weighing you down, the SpecOps Gear being lighter than the military gear and providing better protection but it degrades faster than military gear and it still being heavier than civilian gear. On top of that civilian and police gear providing less protection but more maneuverability and mobility. In a military history class I once took, I learned the concept of MOOSEMUSS which was a set of Principles of War set up by the US Army. One of the principles is Maneuver or Mobility.

“Place the enemy in a position of disadvantage through the flexible application of combat power. Maneuver is the movement of forces in relation to the enemy to gain positional advantage. Effective maneuver keeps the enemy off balance and protects the force. It is used to exploit successes, to preserve freedom of action, and to reduce vulnerability. It continually poses new problems for the enemy by rendering his actions ineffective, eventually leading to defeat.”

As you can see in warfare, maneuverability/mobility in warfare is very important. The most famous example being at Agincourt, because many of the French practically had the best armor in the world, they got pretty cocky on top of that add the unfavorable terrain and weather conditions and the result is the English absolutely dunking on the French because they could hardly move. Which is why making military gear heavier than civilian gear would give civilian gear some advantage where it had none previously.

2 Likes

Interestingly, US doctrine is to blast the fuck out of targets to suppress, while a mobile unit, Mechanized, Infantry, finishes the job.
It’s worth noting that this is with larger units. Solo or fireteam level tactics are more interesting. There’s merit to heavier loads and lightweight loads.
Mobility is crucial, but so is survivability. Don’t skip parts of the Protection Onion. Some people may prefer heavier armor and to have better survivability. Some people might go light and prefer getting into place faster. It’s all a matter of what you like. Mobility is cool and all, but if you can’t hold a position, you’ll lose a few more fights than you’d like.

And a PDW is just an SMG that fires shortened rifle cartridges.

Then how do you explain the MP7 and P90, which fire proprietary rounds that are smaller than pistol rounds?

I suppose it depends on what you define a pistol cartridge as. Sure, an MP7 cartridge is smaller than a Magnum round, but certainly larger than anything fired from a typical automatic pistol or SMG.

Well, no, it’s actually smaller. The MP7 is a 4.8mm, the P90 is a 5.7mm. Most pistols shoot either 9mm or 11.3mm.

The one exception to this rule of PDW ammunition is the AAC Honey Badger, it’s chambered in .300 AAC Blackout.

Well, there’s also the G11 PDW, which is chambered in the same caseless round of the G11K2.

Did somebody say Kraut Space Magic?

Doesn’t apply to near-per for the most part as those assets couldn’t really be fielded that way.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.