Make Unturned Open Source!

@SDGNelson we should make Unturned 3.0 open source.
Not sure if this has been suggested before.
To try it for maybe, I don’t know, 3 months, have an open-source version on GitHub and then the Steam version. If all goes smoothly, make Unturned have an auto-update that automatically downloads the new files on GitHub.
This means that you will be able to focus more attention on Unturned 2 and that the community can make the necessary updates.
Examples
Open Spades - a remake of the game ‘Ace of Spades’ that is very successful in the regard of players and most of its playerbase liking it.
Control Room - a horror game orginally on itch.io that I’m sure will recieve great updates by its community now that it’s open source.

ples do also bold arnt working 4 me on the forum right now

Should we make Untuned 3.0 Open Source?
  • Yes
  • No
  • PatrickR2020 shut up no one likes you and you will die alone in hell because you’re such a god-damn failure.

0 voters

1 Like

Why would he make it open source? He’s worked his ass off and you expect him to give everyone acces to the game code? This makes no sense to me at all, sorry.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a good idea to make the game open source, not yet at least. I’d think that it’d be a final step to when a game is on it’s last legs, which Unturned isn’t yet.

12 Likes

:sob:
I thought it was a good suggestion, but it had VERY poor reception.
It means Nelson can focus on Unturned 2 and Unturned 3.0 can be community updated. I realize he’s worked his ass off to get to this point, but there are just some regards in which he is not ready to change Unturned 3.0 as it is his creation, his child.

There are some things as a developer that you aren’t ready to criticize.

I mean, being community run means that he no longer must worry about this game, and people can’t criticize him for it.

Personally, I see no fault in this.

1 Like

The problem is that it could be abused. If only a few trusted community members that know how to code work on it, then sure. So it’s semi-open source

3 Likes

What about that trial period? If all goes well within that trial period, go through with it. If people abuse it, block them, because I’m sure GitHub would have a proper system for that.

1 Like

I’d still not trust it if everyone could acces it. Trial period wouldn’t change a thing about it either, because there will always be trolls.

4 Likes

There’d also be updates left, right and center

2 Likes

GitHub has been around for a long time and is a strong platform. They’d have a system to fend off such things (or, I would expect them to have that system).

1 Like

And that would be bad because…
Maybe it would be a large file size with updates stacked upon each other, but, I honestly think going open source could really help this game.

1 Like

Yes, but there’s no way that they can block out every troll really.

3 Likes

Well, there’s no true way to stop trolls. But I still believe this could work.

1 Like

Gotta agree with Animatic though. Even if the open source would’ve gone well, it should be when it’s going to its end. Makes more sense to me atleast.

4 Likes

If we wait till it’s on its last legs, it won’t have much of a community to back it up, though.

1 Like

With ‘on it’s last legs’ I mean when Nelson stops updating Unturned himself after that there’s a version for Unturned II that allows you to actual survival with other players with enough features to keep you pleasured.

2 Likes

yeah lets give everybody the ability to destroy game that would be awesomer!!!

How about the dev just retires Unturned into the shelf like every +5 year old games out there when he’s done with it. I think it already had a very good run in its lifetime on Steam, so just leave it as an example of SDG’s work

7 Likes

Wise words

1 Like

But I never want to see this game die. It’s got so much potential; potential that me must embrace.

The more I think about it, the less “crazy” it seems. I’m not opposed to the idea, I guess I support it but ultimately it comes down to Nelson.

1 Like