Making guns rare doesn't discourage PVP effectively

right. I don’t really want that solution I was merely pointing out that the only effective way to reduce pvp is to deincentivize it.

Making guns rarer can sometimes increase the PvP capacity of some players by making the others unable to fight back.Meaning that if the players that kill for the fun of it get their hands on the only assault rifles and snipers that spawned, they become unstoppable. And after a while make lots of people angry and wanting revenge.

It depends on who gets the rare weapons if your friendly rp guy gets a grizzly he won’t kill half the server. A regular player might feel very powerful unstoppable and start showing of their power if they have the rare guns.

As mentioned by other people the opposite is true the other players with bad gear would rush the guys with rare weapons having not much to lose it would make lots of people with rare gear caught in a constant cycle of PvP to defend their gear PvPing to get ammo for their gear and constantly searching for ammo.

1 Like

If guns are rare enough that only a few can ever find them, wouldn’t it be fair to assume that ammunition would be rare enough to limit their usage?

3 Likes

smacks table
THANK YOU!

1 Like

I feel like there’s not much you can do about discouraging PvP. Pretty much anything will seem artificial and fake.
Maybe stronger PvE aspect would help a bit but it’s a topic that many multiplayer survival games struggle with.

3 Likes

Well, not necessarily.

The current and prominent idea of limiting mid/high tier weaponry and ammunition would 100% fit in, considering how rare they would be in a real apocalypse where everyone has taken most of them already. It also makes sense that ammunition would be scarce since there’s nobody to produce more anymore.

I believe that making guns rare would discourage pvp because it would be a bigger risk to attack someone. In 3.0 it is so easy to get guns, and that removes the fear of dying and loosing your gun.

Around where I live (Western U.S.A) there is definitely enough guns to go around. There is also a nearby military base that is completely stocked full of firearms and ammunition. Assuming that the majority of the population gets zombified, there would definitely be enough to go around, especially since in actual real life catastrophes people tend to band together a lot better than in video games. When it comes to ammunition I have several neighbors who know how to create their own and I have learned some of the basics myself. Its possible, but is fairly dangerous, so its not unlikely someone in the apocalypse could produce ammunition fairly easily; the hardest part would be having to drive out to mines to get nitrate and other metals.

TL:DR: I don’t disagree that mid/high tier weaponry should be rarer, but from a realistic point, at least from where I live, guns and ammo would be quite common. Balance and fun is always greater than realism.

1 Like

The problem is every fresh spawn in the universe will bum rush people with gear because its rare and they want it fast. Then people who have gear retaliate by constantly killing fresh spawns so they don’t die and the cycle continues. PVP in its current state is just a death spiral because of lack of trust between players online.

Problem is, you need 200 rounds for a horde of zombies, and 3 for a player. I think a better way would be to make it risky for anyone attacking willy nilly with high level gear, as they now have to deal with the horde of zombies headed for them, in addition to the player they attacked. This would make cities much safer to be in, unless you’re PvPing.

1 Like

rare weapons and rare munitions will discourage pvp
the player will not have enough ammo/gun to finish what started.
the victim will have more chances of survival.

Using guns against zombies has almost always been a waste of ammunition. Players would be better using melee weapons, bows, air rifles, and possibly blackpowder firearms against zombies, but those weapons are ineffective against players.

Not true, as it takes very few bullets to kill a player, and many to kill zombies. There are much better ways to balanc PvP imo, see some of my other posts

So just remove the entire list of guns and replace them with safer ones, so players don’t get hurt?

As I’ve already stated 6 days ago, it’s not just about changing weapon characteristics, and rarity, but map design as well.

if you do not have the weapon to defend yourself, just craft a bow with arrows

bad suggestion (unrealistic)

As somebody else pointed out before it would only change the way people kill each other. Just take a look at Rust. Back when I played it the first day of the server restart, as a group of 10 people we would slaughter each other with rival teams using bows and spears because nobody had resources to produce guns yet.

I’m not saying that less guns is bad, in my opinion it’s even better because usually the first days of the server cycle were most fun and challenging (mostly because the progression during the week was very, very satisfying),

All I am saying is that if somebody plays the game just to kill other people they won’t really care if they have to do it with a gun or with a club (we would often meet freshly spawned players and let them go farming with us and we gave them tools/weapons to do that, and sooner or later they tried to kill somebody).

What I feel that would be a good (but not complete) solution to this problem is more challenging environment that makes player work together to survive, even if their intention is to backstab the other person in the end. It’s hard to achieve but I believe it is possible.

3 Likes

Alright, here is my suggestion for how to limit PvP:
Maps need to be designed so in most areas players can see eachother well before entering the effective range of common weapons. This would allow players to see eachother and communicate or retreat, before becoming close enough that either of them panic. Zombies need to be smarter and gun shots should attract them from further distances. Modern propellants and ammunition, which would be fairly effective against other players, even at the greater distances, would be rarer than in 3.X. Other weapons (which might include melee weapons, blackpowder weapons, air powered weapons, bows, or slings) would be more cost effective against zombies, but would be even more difficult to use in the more open areas then the modern firearms.

That’s the first problem.

Most of the maps are set in countries other than the US, and in most of these countries (if not all of them) gun regulations are far more strict. The amount of firearms and ammunition you would find is drastically lower.

And I’m not even going to get into the real life implications of this either, but I’m going to mention that an abundance of guns in the US also seems to increase violence and crime rates.

Also btw, crafted makeshift ammo is basically confirmed for 4.0, I was referring to not being able to craft standard ammunition.

Edit: That wasn’t my point but just me thinking out loud. Please ignore that

1 Like

I feel that instead of just a straight gun spawn nerf, slightly decreasing spawns while making gun calibers and ammo spawns more diverse could be more effective. If you have a gun and the only three or four ammo types, the chances of you getting a compatible ammo type are greater. Compare this to a dozen or so ammunition types, and you’re most likely going to be more careful with your ammo supply (thus decreasing PvP and KoS) if there’s a chance you can’t get reliable and compatable ammo spawns for your rifle.

1 Like