Night vision

I think heat vision like how it functions in fortnite would be interesting, where the potential threats or treasure are highlighted by the thermal overlay. So players, animals, and vehicles could be highlighted>

This idea has good potential for Unturned 4 :+1:

1 Like

Honestly Nelson should just take take most of the combat vehicle mechanics from War Thunder and implement them into Unturned II.

It twas a joke im not that retarded

2 Likes

Thermal cameras comonly have way lower resulotion then normal cameras (unless we are talking military). So having a fixed resulotion for thermal cameras would make far away targets difficult to track and not work across the entire map. Keeping this low resulotion idea across all thermal cameras would help balance it compared to normal nvg’s. Thermal imaging could “maybe” be feasable if not talking about engine limitations/work needed.

Altough civilian night vision should perhaps not be replaced by thermal, it should be it’s own thing since it has it’s own applications and functions so differently. Maybe it could be split into tiers kinda like real night vision “classes” aka class 1<2<3. Civilian could be 1 and 2 or one between the two. And class 3+ reserved for military.

Basically what I described whit nvg’s is it could be like u3 where they are simplified to 2 types but civilian nvg is green and still weaker then the military grade one. Or there could be 2 classes of civilian and one military (still, all green). While keeping thermal it’s own separate thing.

Also, ir lamps?

3 Likes

I think that this kind of equipments can be added only after a discussion about the general light ingame:
In U3 the nights are too bright, only gaming with the gamma settings of the screen could led to easily see without problems

1 Like

Shameless plug

Also I might be redoing that one, Alexa, add that to my to-do list.

I just read your post you linked and I just wanna point out that you said that thermal imaging ignore walls.
I was not able to quote it for some reason tho. You should be able to find it. Anyways that statement isn’t actually true, you can’t see through regular walls whit thermal imaging cameras.
Only if there are for example very thin sheets of plastic, It’s kinda like visible light passing through a piece of papper otherwise the thermal radiation just get absorbed like a normal wall and visible light. only certain rare materials are almost completly transparent to thermal cameras, these are used for thermal camera lenses as normal glass absorb thermal radiation.

I just wanted to point this out as to not spread this myth further, thanks.
Your nvg post was really good tho, I’d love to see a revisited version.

(Ik this was unnecessarily long)

1 Like

Oh thank you very much! I will search in my message for the problem and correct it!

Owh I was replying to RedComm but thats great that you include it in yours aswell.

1 Like

ugh just click alt f4

1 Like

Nice try but won’t work with my MAC lol

1 Like

but that’s so dumb, you do realize that lowering the resolutions will do absolutely nothing except annoy the user? Let me tell you something, in roblox a while ago there was a wave of people who thought blur = good so added very noticeable blur to everything, which did not look good and just made people’s eyes hurt if you stared at it too long. that’s absolutely ridiculous and I hope you were joking

In my opinion it depends on how low the resolution is and whether its applied to a camera in the world or the player’s view. Poor visuals at far distances are something I’d agree with depending on how it is handled.

2 Likes

The point of it is not to make it look nice. Now don’t imagine it as just a super blurry screen of white and dark covering the entire screen. It really depends on how it’s implemented. Imagine having it like looking down a scope in unturned. Altough these devices irl can be hand-held aswell.
Thermal cameras/scopes have an lcd screen that displays the image since they are digital.

The idea is that it’s more of a pixel array on a surface in a 3d viewport like an actual little screen (kinda like in tarkov but not the same viewport setup) but not as realisticly illustrated as maybe tarkov and it deffinetly does not have to work exacly this way. Seriously tho, look up some tarkov thermal scope footage. Anyways so it’s not like a up-scaled jpeg plus gausian blur on top covering the entire screen like vomit.

The reason for the low (whit low I mean not razer sharp) resulotion for these is that as I said, very far away targets would be difficult to track and would artificialy limit the viewing range across almost ALL screen resulotions (irl moniters).
Which would lower the advantage for having high resulotion screen vs low res players, keep the framerate consistant when viewing through these when ingame and make sure it does not work like a legalized player display hack that works across the “entire” map.

On the note on framerate, real thermals have a limited hz but unturned is not a simulator and does not affect balance AS much so it’s up for debate for me. Oh and they also tend to have a low fov.

All these things would leave it as not a no-brainer item, but a specialized utility item since nornal nvg’s can still see visible light sources which is useful since thermals have trouble to see in even-tempurature enviorments (like inside a house) if you use them for navigation. There could maybe be tiers of thermals (whit slightly higher res) but thats maybe not neccesary.

This is a good way of describing it aswell. Thank you Craven.

In general thermal imaging in games are complicated to get right, altough they can easily be altered for gameplay reasons. But I know It’s also a really big technical challenge to implement for any game aswell and it’s often not flawless.

I hope you understand my view on this subject better now. Remember this is just talking about the possibilities of this being a real in-game thing.
(Idk how to end a reply so…) Thanks

Side note: The contrast of the thermal (how much warm objects pop out of the background, imagine black and white) could aswell be tweaked for balance. In games like tarkov the contrast is really or maybe too good, I’d imagine it not being that great but still enough to see somewhat clearly.

(Was this also way too long?)

I didn’t really describe anything there.

I meant it’s another good perspective on it.

what if instead of a thermal cam we had a heartbeat sensor. that way it wouldnt be too op by giving us the (roughly) full shape of a living thing, but a dot in its place, and we would have to use other clues to distinguish it as a human or animal.

I think vanilla would be better off devoid of anything that lets the player detect things through walls.

1 Like

yeah that would be a nice compromise too

Thermal imaging should definitely have an actual limit as to how far it can detect a target regardless if thermal cameras and the like have a purposely somewhat distorted view. And no seeing through walls.

As for heart beat sensors, no thanks.

1 Like