Night vision

In my opinion it depends on how low the resolution is and whether its applied to a camera in the world or the player’s view. Poor visuals at far distances are something I’d agree with depending on how it is handled.

2 Likes

The point of it is not to make it look nice. Now don’t imagine it as just a super blurry screen of white and dark covering the entire screen. It really depends on how it’s implemented. Imagine having it like looking down a scope in unturned. Altough these devices irl can be hand-held aswell.
Thermal cameras/scopes have an lcd screen that displays the image since they are digital.

The idea is that it’s more of a pixel array on a surface in a 3d viewport like an actual little screen (kinda like in tarkov but not the same viewport setup) but not as realisticly illustrated as maybe tarkov and it deffinetly does not have to work exacly this way. Seriously tho, look up some tarkov thermal scope footage. Anyways so it’s not like a up-scaled jpeg plus gausian blur on top covering the entire screen like vomit.

The reason for the low (whit low I mean not razer sharp) resulotion for these is that as I said, very far away targets would be difficult to track and would artificialy limit the viewing range across almost ALL screen resulotions (irl moniters).
Which would lower the advantage for having high resulotion screen vs low res players, keep the framerate consistant when viewing through these when ingame and make sure it does not work like a legalized player display hack that works across the “entire” map.

On the note on framerate, real thermals have a limited hz but unturned is not a simulator and does not affect balance AS much so it’s up for debate for me. Oh and they also tend to have a low fov.

All these things would leave it as not a no-brainer item, but a specialized utility item since nornal nvg’s can still see visible light sources which is useful since thermals have trouble to see in even-tempurature enviorments (like inside a house) if you use them for navigation. There could maybe be tiers of thermals (whit slightly higher res) but thats maybe not neccesary.

This is a good way of describing it aswell. Thank you Craven.

In general thermal imaging in games are complicated to get right, altough they can easily be altered for gameplay reasons. But I know It’s also a really big technical challenge to implement for any game aswell and it’s often not flawless.

I hope you understand my view on this subject better now. Remember this is just talking about the possibilities of this being a real in-game thing.
(Idk how to end a reply so…) Thanks

Side note: The contrast of the thermal (how much warm objects pop out of the background, imagine black and white) could aswell be tweaked for balance. In games like tarkov the contrast is really or maybe too good, I’d imagine it not being that great but still enough to see somewhat clearly.

(Was this also way too long?)

I didn’t really describe anything there.

I meant it’s another good perspective on it.

what if instead of a thermal cam we had a heartbeat sensor. that way it wouldnt be too op by giving us the (roughly) full shape of a living thing, but a dot in its place, and we would have to use other clues to distinguish it as a human or animal.

I think vanilla would be better off devoid of anything that lets the player detect things through walls.

1 Like

yeah that would be a nice compromise too

Thermal imaging should definitely have an actual limit as to how far it can detect a target regardless if thermal cameras and the like have a purposely somewhat distorted view. And no seeing through walls.

As for heart beat sensors, no thanks.

1 Like

well there is no reason for thermal cameras to detect people throught walls because the wall has it’s own temperature wich means by looking at a wall you will see a grey color(like the grounds color) because the wall is cold and blocks the heat from the people behind it from reaching you.I don’t know why people all think you can see throught walls that’s strange. and also little note vehicles and fire camps can be used to disorient the ennemy due to the heat that they generate it’s like a “smoke screen” of heat arround you so you won’t be able to see people behind a hall but actually have to identifie which heat source is human and wich one isn’t…

1 Like

aaah! why do people think that you can see others throught walls!

1 Like

well that’s an interesting idea…I proposed to use thermal cam because it’s a real technology that exists and I don’t know if heart beat detectors exists so it would be interesting to see how it will work out.still it’s a great idea maybe have it as a mythical item that is found in a scorpion 7 base or something like that maybe? I encourage you to make a hole post about this idea so that it can be spread and that you can give us more details about it.

Honestly, I could agree to thermal vision instead of civilian night vision. Civilian Night Vision has problems and nobody ends up using CNV because it’s way worse than MNV. Adding TNV (Thermal Night Vision) would be interesting to say the least.

2 Likes

it really doesnt deserve an entire post, I was just thinking of something similar to MW2’s heartbeat sensor attachment. I guess it could be used as both a rail attachment and/or a hand held tablet. Dots along a blank plane is what id imagine it would look like.

1 Like

Thermal imaging is really OP if implemented 1:1, it would definitely need some tweaking for it to not be a game breaker.

As for heartbeat sensors - it doesn’t make sense. Essentially it is a radar that displays players’ locations. It isn’t even feasible in the real world. Just call it living player radar instead because that is what it is.

2 Likes
  1. The tech does exist, and if this game takes place during a zombie apocalypse then it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to assume that it would have been developed by then, would it?
    https://www.dhs.gov/detecting-heartbeats-rubble-dhs-and-nasa-team-save-victims-disasters

2. It detects all forms of heart beat, not only the player’s. And it wouldn’t provide an entire map of the area with locations of heartbeats, maybe only 10 feet ahead within a 60° radius. If it doesn’t sound worth it, consider it an experimental piece of S7 tech.

1 Like

Ooh that looks cool.

I still don’t think a heart beat sensor is a good addition to Unturned II nonetheless. I’m hoping for a theme and gameplay that is harsher and slightly less comical than Unturned 1.

fair enough, being on the receiving end probably wouldn’t be too much fun

1 Like

I know this is isnt night vision but hopefully in the early game you could craft a torch at night to see. Or to explore a cave.

1 Like

I mean we can do that in unturned 3.X so…

just eat carrots