Parkour system - my Unturned-4.0-dream

I thought about a parkour and climbing system in Unturned for a long time, and as I heared about the 4.x, I developed a not-overpowered parkour system.

= 1. Freeruning =
It would be nice if you could (maybe automatically, maybe by pressing a key in front of it) jump over small barriers like sandbags or something like this if you run. Also you should get under barriers which don’t reach the floor. If you run you automatically should dodge thin barriers like streetlights or hydrants. It would work very nice together with the improved animations! I also could imagine a freerunning skill: With a higher skill you get faster over a small fence.

= 2. Climbing =
I want to climb in Unturned, and climbing is very useful in an zombie-apocalypse… but if there’s a zombie on the roof, climbing isn’t so overpowered as it looks. Here is a very bad drawing :wink: about climbing in Unturned:

If you run against a wall and press a special key, maybe the same as freerunning, you start to climb.
I thought about different skill levels; you can see them on the drawing, but it also could be more so it isn’t too easy to reach the full skill. Without any skill you can’t climb.
With the first level you only can climb walls about two metres.
With the second level three metres. With the third level you can get to an height from four metres, but only if there is an decoration object like a window or something else on a height of about three metres. You also can climb any height with decorations like rain pipes.
With the fourth level you can climb buildings fof more height. Walls like in 1. and 2. you get full up, but a wall for level 3 you don’t, because you will stay on the decoration. You now can cling on decorations, and so you can get higher and also climb horizontally. But it will take stamina, so be careful. You maybe also climb trees; I don’t need it, but some players want it I’ve seen.

= Why it’s not over-powered? =
Because you need stamina to climb and there are zombies who can climb, too. Not as fast as you and sometimes they fall down by theirselves, but the can attack you on the roofs. There also spawn zombies on the roofs and if you aren’t carefull, they will kill you or drop you down. I also would like Zombies with guns. They don’t aim well and the gun isn’t strong, but if they hit you hanging on a wall, you will fall down. With exepensive and more skill levels the rest can be ruled.

I’m sorry if my English is bad, I am learning it for only 2.5 years.

Nelson has already confirmed that a lot of this will be ingame in some form. The free running part is already implemented.

1 Like

Please, no climbing. The last thing I need is a dozen players wallrunning up my base and breaking in from the roof.

3 Likes

#Freerunning: Not in 3.0 or the Devlogs.

Solution for breaking in: (New) Traps.

1 Like

Traps are gay /s

@101gamer101 I do not share that view

Climbing will just be a pain, I can already feel it
Trying to have a regular firefight then all of a sudden the enemy becomes a monkey and starts climbing walls. Freerunning would be fun and maybe suiting, but hardcore parkour where you can simply climb walls will completely eliminate the purpose of ladders. I would agree if the idea said that if you jump on a ledge, you can hang on (for 2 seconds) then get yourself up. Or vaulting over windows and small barriers.

1 Like

Being as realistic as possible, I am sure there are people capable of climbing walls, or certain structures if they have enough of a edge for such a thing to be possible. But it would be kinda OP seeing as people “could” become like Spider-Man and start sticking to the walls and your character won’t be able to shoot them…

Realistically, people can do it. Not some rado who just radomly clicked “space” at a wall

Again, if the player jumped off and landed on an edge, he/she can hang off it for 2 seconds before climbing on it with “space” or letting go of the edge with “S”

1 Like

I would think they could be a skill you can acquire to make it more balanced. Since most people aren’t a genius at parkour and then it’ll be realistic.

There’s 2 ways this can go. Both end badly imo

The skill system is gonna be either…
1, Cut down trees for EXP to spend on skills that have nothing to do with trees.
Or 2, doing an action a lot of times till the corresponding skill upgrades

Wall jumping is something you’re not gonna be able to do unless you have the skill for it, so number 2 will be invalid since there’s nothing to do to upgrade it. And if you can just cut down trees or shoot some xombies for EXP to jump on walls, then this…

… is invalid

Not that I explicitly support the suggestion, but there’s always the concept of having skills primarily level up through repeated action while also having a side experience pool you can spend freely.

Skills based around adding new gameplay mechanics could technically be gated behind grinding for your side experience pool first.

@Nerobrine_LP

The above aside, gating those kind of gameplay-changing mechanical skills behind experience feels a bit too much like an MMORPG. Nothing like this should start as being gated away behind experience.

To be honest, not too sure about supporting the suggestion outright. The alternative implementation of a climbing mechanic is just actual climbing gear rather rather than parkour skills and skill upgrades

People have suggested grappling hooks and ice axes for a while, and those seem like they’d be more interesting in the end, without also being used all the time (one could say that makes them balanced, or one could say that it makes them too lackluster).

I see your point. And if that was the case for new mechanics, then i’m all on it

As for the second part of your comment, I also agree. Climbing walls should be something you can do if you have the set of tools for it. Not just radomly jumping on a wall and 2 seconds later you’re on top of Burj Khalifa

= 1. Freeruning =

this is basically just vaulting and sliding under one button. sliding is already in 4.x, but i think vaulting would be cool too. perhaps whether vaulting would require a button or not would depend on its height - if you could reasonably just step or hop over it you could just run, and if you actually needed to bend your knees or use your hands it’d need a button.

= 2. Climbing =

ehhh? other people have pointed out the problems behind this, but i think it could be really fun. Squad introduced climbing and it’s a hardcore large scale tactical shooter where most soldiers in the game are carrying like 50+ pounds of gear, and if you’ve seen v10 footage you’ve seen the crazy stuff climbing can let you do.

maybe instead of just straight up climbing, people could vault onto each other to get extra height to vault onto higher things? needing another person to cooperate could balance it out a bit.

First of all, this is a 4.0 suggestion, so not sure where you got the idea it was in 3.0.

Second of all, you must’ve missed the locomotion mechanics of 4.0 as there’s some examples of freerunning already shown.

Example 1 - Freerunning specifically, Devlog #2
Example 2 - Locomotion Demo

While it is quite brief, it’s still there.

Edit: if that’s not good enough for you, I do know that Nelson is working on similar things for 4.0 such as lunging through cover anyways

to be fair, nothing about locomotion suggests anything about the freerunning section in any capacity

Hmm, well, I definitely recall Nelson talking about it at the least

So umm… Nelson can make these animations very slow, maybe even slower than in GTA IV