Reloading and firemodes

The ammunition in a gun should be handled in 3 sections:

Chambered Ammunition

This is important for progressive reloads, and manual actions.
Multi-barreled firearms might chamber multiple cartridges at a time.
In revolvers only the indexed round would be considered chambered, though every round in the cylinder would technically be chambered. In muzzleloaders, the ball and powder aren’t considered chambered ammunition until the pan/nipple is primed and the hammer is cocked.

Ammunition in Feed System

Feed systems would include: Magazines, Belts, and En Bloc Clips.

Attached Ammunition

Would include ammunition in shell holders, jungle style magazines, and spare magazines attached to the weapon.

There should be progressive interruptable reloads.

Explanation

This means that instead of having one long animation for reloading, which either is skipped or restarted by doing a different animation, the character would go through multiple steps of reloading and the game would remember which step the player is currently on, even if the reload is cancelled or interrupted.

The steps for reloading many weapons would include:

Removing the feed system

Maybe tap “reload” to quickly drop the feed system, and hold to carefully place it back into your inventory.

Inserting a new feed system

The feed system used, instead of always being the fullest like in 3.X, would prioritize attached ammunition, then items in a particular article of clothing. (i.e. arrows in a quiver would be used before ones in a backpack.) Maybe a feed system could be selected using the “holstering” mechanic from Devlog #6.

Chamber a round from the magazine

Would only be done if the chamber is empty, or if the player has set the game to always rechamber when reloading, which would be useful if the player wants to be sure they’re not using ammunition from a previous feed system.

A new key could be used specifically for checking the current feed system, which would be most important when playing with a limited HUD.

Additional functions when held down

Would vary from weapon to weapon, but would include topping off the feed system with loose ammunition or a speed loader, placing boosters in powder actuated tools, replacing the tank in pneumatic tools and weapons, and chambering a cartridge.

Firemodes should include

Single

It would only fire the chambered cartridge(s), and would prevent loading from the feed system.
I call it single because it would fire a single cartridge, or multiple cartridges in a single shot.
It would be used in single shot weapons, multi-barreled weapons, and weapons with magazine cutoffs.

Manual

It would fire a round, but not automatically chamber the next round in the magazine.
It would be used in single action revolvers, and manual action weapons, such as bolt-actions, lever-actions, and slide-actions.

Semi

It would function the same as in 3.X, firing one round and chambering the next.
It would be used in semi automatic weapons, double-action revolvers, and multi-barreled weapons.

Auto

It would fire and chamber cartridges as long as the player holds the fire button and there are cartridges in the feed system to chamber.
It would be

Burst

would be a limited version of Auto.
I’m unsure how exactly this would work due to differences between burst limiters IRL; Some are based on time, some are based on the number of times cycled, and I know of one based on the number of cartridges spent. The amount of time or cycles per burst varies between mechanisms, and some continue counting across multiple bursts, or even when used in other firing modes.

After inspecting the feed system, reloading, or attempting to fire, if the chamber is empty, the player will cycle a cartridge from the feed system into the chamber. If the feed system is empty, the player will instead place a loose cartridge from their inventory into the chamber. Cycling the action would take some time and displace the point of aim, when the displacement happens, how much happens, and what directions it tends towards would vary by weapon, and possibly between dominant hands.

Customization:

Lockwork

Certain revolvers should have replaceable lockwork so they can be fired in single action, double action, or from either. Flintlock, matchlock, percussionlock, and wheel lock lockplates should be available for antique weapons.

Magazines

The following suggestions are made assuming caliber conversions will be unavailable in 4.X, but would also be useful with caliber conversions. Magazine adapters should be available, to allow a specific magazine to be used in the place of a specific other one. Shorter versions of some cartridges should be available, and should be more compact in tubular magazines, but might not be compatible with autoloaders.

2 Likes

okay okay yes this is good

oh?

what

okay this i understand again

seems unnecessarily complicated but i see the idea

ditto

oh god no that’s too much

everything else

ok

tl;dr: wow okay you went way overboard with the reloading section

5 Likes

Topping off, as for certain bolt action and other repeating rifles, having rounds inserted through the chamber instead of changing the clip or magazine/

for which part?

This is what I’m referring to

WHICH PART OF MY RESPONSE

jesus tap-dancing christ

To make this suggestion even viable for a nice playing experience, the only weapons that need this are pump shotguns and bolt-actions. You’d fire a shot, and then press a key (it should be the reload key for obvious reasons) which would cycle the bolt/pump the shotgun (idk what to call it). If Nelson wants to be realistic with Unturned then this suggestion wouldn’t be that crazy.

that’d be the only thing that would make any sense

1 Like

What I was thinking of were single action revolvers, and percussion lock weapons, I only mentioned cycling, because (In case you couldn’t tell) I was trying to mention as many possibilities as I could.

On applicable weapons, you can choose whether to remove and replace the current feed system, (whether it be a belt, magazine, en bloc clip, or perhaps even a revolver cylinder,) or whether to refill it.

Wouldn’tit be nice to control with a button what ammunition you’re putting in your gun? (I remember being very frustrated that the reload key in 3.X would load guns with standard magazines, drums, tracers, or explosives, with the only way to pick the one you wanted being to go into the attachments menu.) The player should be capable of loading loose ammunition or using a loading tool to refill magazines, or revolver cylinders, and shouldn’t be forced to use up the ammunition in a loading tool, until they decide to.

On applicable weapons, you can choose whether to remove and replace the current feed system, (whether it be a belt, magazine, en bloc clip, or perhaps even a revolver cylinder,) or whether to refill it.

many guns can’t even do that

Wouldn’tit be nice to control with a button what ammunition you’re putting in your gun? (I remember being very frustrated that the reload key in 3.X would load guns with standard magazines, drums, tracers, or explosives, with the only way to pick the one you wanted being to go into the attachments menu.) The player should be capable of loading loose ammunition or using a loading tool to refill magazines, or revolver cylinders, and shouldn’t be forced to use up the ammunition in a loading tool, until they decide to.

outside of shotgun ammo this would be a job for the customization menu. otherwise it gets to be too many buttons. have you ever played the hideous destructor mod for doom? no? well the number of buttons fucking ruins it.

What I was referring to is that shotguns that don’t use magazines can be fired mid-reload, and bolt actions, when having less than one clip, can instead, have several rounds inserted through the chamber and into the magazine.

When you press R to reload your gun, the game detects the mag with the highest number of bullets that is compatible with your gun and lets you reload. Not too frustrating in my opinion. And at the same just like irl, you wouldn’t be able to choose which mag in 0.0043 seconds. If you wanted a tracer mag (if you’re not trained and memorized of where the tracer mags are placed), then it should be like going to the attachments menu and manually selecting the mag. This is a game, doesn’t have to be too complicated just to make one small feature look cool

IRL you can choose to have a specific magazine easily accessible, which is similar to quickslots in 2.X, or Hotkeys in 3.X, but magazines can’t be hotkeyed, because you aren’t technically equipping them, allowing them to be placed in a quickslot, or bound to a hotkey would be a simple improvement which could be implemented in 4.X.

Honestly, I don’t understand the point of tracer rounds for assault rifles

Keep in mind, in unturned, almost the entire keyboard is being used. So you can’t just choose a button for something irrelevent like a magazine for quickly reloading.

1 Like

A lot of keys are redundant.

It’s basically used to keep the person using it informed of where the bullets are landing. Especially when there’s wind and it’s night time

By the way, the default rounds are, in fact, tracers.

In Unturned yes.
Irl, no