RFC: Banning Purchase of Individual In-Game Items

It is though very easy to prove which servers do it, by just joining them and talking to people.

I feel as if this is something that should be implemented, and for good reason too. I’ll mention it here in this comment, despite how many times it has been written in this forum. The fact that P2W Server owners claim that it is “expensive” to own a server. Which from my past experiences of owning a server, it really isn’t at all. It’s about time considering the extent the scummy P2W servers have gone for even a cent of profit. To whoever made this discussion possible (thx Nelson btw) and people in the community, it is much appreciated.

In conclusion, this is a step in the right direction and would be much better when thinking long-term regarding future servers.

5 Likes

I’ll keep my post short and sweet, a game advertised as free on the steam shop should not have then be turned away because many of the servers were not able to find alternative ways of generating income to keep them stable. Lets keep in the here Minecraft’s EULA outlines very clearly what they want and didn’t want in a public minecraft server. They’ve clearly outlined P2W and as far as we know the biggest server “Hypixel” runs so well they’ve managed to fun their own game studio, all while being P2W free. Albiet I admit cannot compare Minecraft and Unturned server hosting that much as they have very different internal components but it still stands as a great example of you can still make it without making things a paywall.

Personally I don’t have an issue with servers who provide kits with loot that takes a little more time to get for a price that could include useful tools like a blowtorch, gas can or carjack. However servers that outright sell kits for direct base raiding or to blast kids away with a “right there and then” pvp kit is not something I would like to see continue.

I do like where the proposal is going but there are definitly things we’ll need to outline more clearly.
In its current state what Nelson has proposed has made his intention clear, he does not want to see P2W dominate his server list any longer. As this does effect even his own reputation as a developer.

3 Likes

Nelson i forgive you for not updating 4.0 you done something great for community take the k hat (king hat)

I am just gonna say add this, p2w is a scummy thing that literally almost every known server has and it’s honestly sickening seeing a nice server, going into it and immediately seeing p2w displays saying buy this buy that and ruin the experience for yourself by not playing the game or even knowing the term of “grinding” on a game to get a certain item and actually be happy that you grinded for it and instead not just buy it for whatever the price would be - adding this would put an end to this that is p2w servers.

4 Likes

I don’t really mind buying ranks that just highlighting your nickname, doesn’t giving access to in-game console commands or inviolability to server’s rules, or just donations if you think that server has a right on existence.
I’m against EULA breaking offers like Nelson said above. The advantages should not be priced for real money, like kits with gear and overall this is disrespect to non-donators. But there’re some pros to P2W servers like:

• They live longer cause of constant consumer.
  • The server has a big budget to take care of server like hosting and data centers.
  • Constant supervisory by moderation (bad moderation likely, but its moderation).

But counting all the cons this is not how Unturned works, and i am really glad Nelson want to do something against this all. Thank you, Nelson.

2 Likes

I read all comments and also figured some things out, so what are my thoughts.
@SDGNelson I think not only banning consumable items’ repeatable purchases is need. I think banning pernament benefits such as legalized KOSing other players on RP servers is need too.

1 Like

I 100% agree that P2W should be removed. Some of my points

1. It makes Unturned less skilled base and more money base

2. Many mention the cost of running a server. Your server can have donators with no rewards if they really love the server they will donate just look at Rust servers for instance. Never seen a p2w server but they are still able to host 200 player servers for the community. Besides hosting a server only costs a dollar or few no need to have 500 USD ranks

3. Its so hard to properly play a p2w server

4 Likes

Hi and there Nelson,
I’m, myself part of a in game purchase game or hosted one and i have forward experience that this is a wise decision on Nelson’s behalf. I been in the unturned community since Deadzone. The problems are the purchases in-game recently.

What should be stopped:
The servers that break the law the most or companies, are the Server Hosting companies and the Roleplay servers such as Brad’s RP or Modern Hosting servers.

What they do to make profit:
Lets start with the Server Companies first of all. The companies play a risky game and are breaking the law and do many frauds. What they do is once they have a costumer, they give a price around 25$, now what nobody notices is that these companies go to a server provider, buy a server for less than 10 bucks and then come back to the customer saying a totally other price, them doing a 15$ profit. And not only that, they broke a rule in the cyber-law. What they broke is the fact that they didn’t show which company provided the server for the the company doing business with the customer.

Now for RP servers, I’m not very happy with any of these servers and the reason being why is that when you join the shop, they say their’s a off-sell for the next hour or so, I myself, waited for it to be going and guess what, you guessed it, when you refresh the page, the sell is back at the same hour you saw it begin from. This is bullshit and I myself, someone that was part of a in-game purchase game find that unfair but this is not it but this is confirmed a fraud in the cyber law again.

Final conclusion:
Nelson, if you are reading this, contact me cause I have seen way too many servers that do this and I think, it would be a wise decision to take all in-game purchases down. The people ansering against this post are the people causing some Tax-Fraud and law breaking.

Thanks for reading this and if you want more answers of this type of problem, contact me on my discord (☭ Laxkrovasz Engi GKRB Гнибор ☭#3250) or steam.

2 Likes

It might not be a perfect solution to instantly get rid of p2w overnight, but it’s a good start. Please implement this.

5 Likes

My Lord finqlly. Imagine having 3k hours and being bullied by some guy who wspawns tanks all the time

2 Likes

Cmon mo, we all know the Only reason your saying this is because its gonna cripple your stream of income from the servers you own.

7 Likes

Based on Nelson’s rules, it would not affect the Modern RP store.

Nelson’s rules are also insufficient to fixing the problem. It would make more sense if they were expanded and more coherent.

1 Like

Looking at this gives me hope.
My own words towards “P2W” Companies.
The “Companies” that are making mega profits from this Free to Play game that is.

Unturned was made as an experience with a simulation for the people that want to have fun in general.
But most of Roleplay servers or other related servers that are also doing this just ruin this one experience. As others said previously about those fake timed sales and all make the “Companies” look bad already. What Nelson has provided i agree mostly. Permament purchases are no problem, but purchases that are unlimited aka. Game Curency or Kits pointed out are also ridiculous to turn young players to sort of addicts, also changing the perspective they see on other games. Sounds stupid but in this case it happens. It’s like gambling in low-spec. What about gmod rp or other related games? Those companies that host servers in those games do follow the basic rule like that.

Free Game; Profit.

Basically Nelson’s points are valid all is i’m trying to say.
Say whatever you want “Company” owners or founders. You should be ashamed.

Note: I was drinking a drink that had alcohol so i may be wrong in some lines idk.
Note 2: Yeah i think i made pointless things.

5 Likes

Nelson, my friend is making a ww1 server in unturned, he is making the mods him self. Maybe you’ve heard of him before, his name is GamingToday093. He asked if he can make kits that sell for 1 dollar each, but the kits dont give you an advantage over other players. The kit gives you a paint bucket which you can use to craft vehicles with camo. The kits are very cheap, if this is a problem how could we fix this?

This would be the best thing that would ever happen to unturned multiplayer. These Pay to Win severs need to go and many people would agree but the problems for this is all of the Pay to Win server owners and members would try to do anything to stop this from happening but most of the community want these servers gone so LETS THIS HAPPEN

3 Likes

LAN IPv4 =/= WAN IP Address???

I find that quite good actually considering people then can play on the server much better.

1 Like

Hi,
If you could please provide any kind of proof or evidence of your claims towards Server Hosts, I’d be happy to hear.

Many of the claims regarding Server Hosts are incorrect. Where are you getting $25 price and a $10 cost?