Simple way to curb skybases

When adding a new floor to your base, the game checks to see if A. it is supported by four pillars and B. if those pillars are attached to a floor. If not, it would prevent you from placing it. When attempting to remove it, it would notify you with “Cannot remove floor/pillar/whatever, it would cause the structural trouble” or something. Maybe also buildings cant be more than five floors or something?

tl:dr game checks to see if the structure has supports when placing new thing. no need to add physics or base weight system

3 Likes

This doesnt fix the problem of (build a tower, then base, then remove tower, and you still have skybase.)

Okay let me explain, the way your saying it, it only checks once, AND it might create lag.

why would it lag it

1 Like

The game has to check down the entire structure EVERY time you place something. That would create a bunch of lag, specially is people are building a lot.

it would not lag unless your building is large af
You are way too scared of lag, 4.x will be much better optimized.

If you don’t think it won’t lag, then you really don’t understand code or servers. Think about it, the server has to check every building connected to the one your placing, every time you build. Now imagine if the entire server is also building.

There you go. Even if a game is optimized, it doesn’t stop the game from lagging when stuff like this is implemented.

nelson isnt goddamn YandereDev, he’s not going to have 50 lines of spaghetti code just to make a checksum or whatever it’s called. Also the idea of an entire server building at once is atrocious

Yes, but if you think about creative servers making a comeback… Yeah.

It’s possible it will happen, and there are far simpler ways to fix skybases without the game having to check if the thing you are placing is connected to an object which is connected to several more objects which are touching the ground. Also, someone could literally make a pillar of wood, then connect it to a skybase far away. It may not be as secretive, but it would still be a skybase.

If I’m not making sense, I’m sorry. I’m just tired.

in that case creative servers will lag, They are supported as it is anyways

You know the idea is great and all, but you know people have access to stairs. So People could learn how this stuff works, and find other solutions to have in the air. Your also forgetting Abusive 12 year old Admins, Who can literately Go into the editor and move the Bases up toward the sky.

I don’t really have a problem with skybases. They are a pain to build (on Vanilla), require aircraft to access, fairly easy to spot, require a decent amount of fuel to maintain oxygen (or turrets), can’t utilize pumpjacks, and they make for a fun raid. This doesn’t seem to necessitate a structure system for base building.

Not really, you can just keep the staircase you used to build up till you finish the base, then remove it.

If you build it up against the skybox, you can spot them, or access them with aircraft. And oxygen isn’t entirely a problem if you just have a staircase going down to oxygen then use an oxygen tank and stuff, you can stay up there for hours at a time. Skybases can be self sustaining. It can be built the way I said to not require oxygen.

They are difficult to spot when placed against the skybox. Even at Max render distance, you can see them. So don’t give me that bs.

They are next to impossible to raid if you can’t land the helicopter. Not fun.

They are incredibly stupid, and shouldnt be in 4. Because they also are invincible against the hordes that come at night. (pretty sure Nelson has said there will be horde based attack during the night. )

And next to impossible to raid if built correctly.

Aj, make sure you say CAN’T because you are writing CAN when you mean CAN’T.

I meant “pain” as in time consuming. It’s not something most people want to spend time on if they could skip it. The actual building and collection isn’t hard per say, but it mostly consists of monotonous tree cutting.

I can’t say for sure at every elevation, but while on the ground I have spotted a skybox on the edge of Russia’s deadzone that was built into the ceiling. And I was mainly referring to them being fairly easy to spot Vanilla, where a skybase owner has to have somewhere to land their aircraft. That requires them to add a platform a few floors down.

As for them being inaccessible by aircraft, that is irrelevant. Any vanilla skybox must have an access point for the base owner to enter, whether it be a platform or a tower. Servers operating with plugins that modify the game shouldn’t be Nelson’s concern to bend over backwards just to balance. With that being said, I think a slight limit to the max height that you can build on would be fairly easy to implement. Something like 4-6 floors from the ceiling would be nice just to make it easier to spot and land on.

Never thought of getting oxygen like that. However, I doubt many base owners would do this as it makes the base even more visible, and it would make sense to add an oxygenator if they already power sentries.

Agreed, they shouldn’t be in II. But this discussion is about what can/should be done in 3.0, not II.

You sure this is a 3.0 post? I swear it was about whether or not to add skybases in 4.0

Edit. Oh… It is 3.0. Here it’s arguing on why to not add it to 4.0 :confused: