Solutions to 'KoS' player behaviour issues in unturned

I have a solution that works in such games as project zomboid. But given the view differences this would actually make this better for pve and discourage pvp. That is have a large amount of zombies in towns and stuff. When you shoot your guns tones of zombies will surround you and you will have to fend them off rather than fight.

7 Likes

the environment would literally have to be hell. On top of the fact that this would create clans or large groups that hunt and feed on the weak rather then helping the weak.

And also noting the fact that weak and new players would find the game extremely difficult to find a weapon or even a simple piece of food.

4 Likes

DOOM, but doomguy doesn’t exist

2 Likes

Maybe they could add a system similar to Fallout 76 or GTAV wherein players who KoS get penalized, or other players see their location on the map and are given an incentive to hunt them down.

3 Likes

Have a karma system with rewards worth investing in. For example locked protected slots in inventory that are not dropped upon death. Being a “good player” would make players more willing to use their better gear as they won’t lose it.

This is obviously an example. The only way to lower KOS is to incentivize the player to do so. The mechanics need to produce the dynamics you want.

6 Likes

I also wich that the KoS mabye could be redused a little bit.
@Pesticide

This could happen but It doesn’t need to be seen as a problem, it could be seen as a possibility to make the game more dynamic and it could make the game more interesting in that and many other ways.

If clans and groups of people would form troughout the game then the only threat wouldn’t only be the environment anymore, It would also be the player groups. same comes with players as with the turned, alone they might not be a big threat but, as a group they might become a big treath.

The groups and clans that form might not only be hostile, players that prefer playing peacefully, and I assume now that I’ve read here that there are other people than only me, could also form groups and clans and build up “safezones” (which could be attacked sometimes by hordes or bandits/hostle players)

I’ve actually been thinking to write about groups and sutch stuff, but didn’t really have that many ideas about it.

I’ve also written something about cities and factions a while back if anyone is interested in such stuff, it’s a little bit relatable to this topic in someways, not directly but you get what I mean.

Dynamic world, factions and such stuff

3 Likes

Real interesting conversation.

if only we could ahve a system where everytime you kill someone you get electrocuted that would be some goddamn stakes

KOS is always going to be a thing, so its important to look at why it happens:

Usually, questions that are asked when a player goes to shoot another are
“How good of a chance do I have to kill another player?”
“Is it worth it? Do I get enough loot out of it to justify my investment (being bullets lol)?”
“Does killing this player present any potential challenges in the environment (such as zombies or another player hearing me)?”
“How can I trust anyone?”

In 3, you spend very little resources to gain a lot. PVP is pretty forgiving due to hitboxes and such and it is usually not hard to get the jump on someone. There is no reason to trust anyone, and being friendly is a strict disadvantage.

If you increase the investment or make it harder to invest to begin with (aka making good guns rare, and ammo hard to come by), you make players less sure of themselves and lower their confidence to win a gunfight, which is probably one of the main reasons KOS is so prevalent in 3.0.

Increase the threat of PVE. I think between new zombie types and bandits, this will certainly be done. Make gunshots noticeable as well. I believe that the addition of some PVE “endgame” things like excursions will also help.

Give reasons for players to actually interact outside of shooting each other. Expand on safe zone mechanics as well as have a fleshed-out trading system. I could see potential for types of reward mechanics that reward players for cooperative play between different players/groups as well.

In the end you can only encourage a more “friendly” playstyle but you can never ensure it, which is honestly fine. But I would definitely love to see some support for a more friendly playstyle, as currently in 3.0 there simply is none.

4 Likes

I am happy to see that we are actually discussing about solutions to the problem.
The new ideas seem to be even applicable, and I am overall happy that there are people that care about that problem and even collaborate in the discussion.

6 Likes

You could use the reputation once more but this time it punishes you harshly. No more trading at the Traders for example. The faction might even shoot you for killing others. Now only they didn´t shoot you first.

4 Likes

how did i miss this

god no

anything from Fo76 is a terrible idea

firstly

secondly
maybe not no more trading at traders, but varying prices depending on your reputation

Like if your viewed as a good figure the price are decreased

but if you have negative reputation, the npc either is scared shitless and has his prices decreased, or is brave and riskful and will rise the prices of his wares.

3 Likes

Necro’s aren’t a problem as long as someone is actually contributing. While @WishYourLife’s suggestion might be a little lack luster, they are adding to the discussion.

7 Likes

I blame the KOS phenomenon on large groups, and the fact that most Unturned players are squeakers.

3 Likes

the kos phenomenon exists simply due to the fact that in the vast majority of situations, kos is the option that will give you the most material benefit, not because of organized clans or young children

8 Likes

Definitely this. In a survival game, using a couple bullets to drop a target or two that might have some food or other valuable loot on them is a trade I’ll be more than happy to make. Plus the viewpoint that if they’re allowed to survive, there’s a good chance they’ll be even more of a threat to me in the future. A lot of factors go into making a ‘whoever shoots first wins’ mentality in survival games.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is looking at the bigger picture, constant killing in game happens because of people’s lack of incentive to not kill. “Whats in it for me, why do I need to trade with that guy when I can just kill him?” Is what someone could be thinking or “Why should I spare him? He can shoot me in the back” is another thing
It’s definitely really easy to be killed, even as a fully geared players.
Even the colt takes 4 shots to kill someone (if aimed at the head) and 5 shots with a helmet. This may be a bad example, but it does work if you have good aim, here’s another weapon
The hawkhound/scofield are 2 shot kills in the head even with a helmet, 3 shots in the body even with a vest (2 shot without a vest). These weapons are more infamous as being common and easy to kill with if you have a steady aim, third person is the greatest dot sight after all imo. Don’t even get me started on shotguns.

So if your not paranoid and looking everywhere and making absolute sure no one’s nearby, you still could have a difficult time staying alive as solo, the best way to stay alive is to have a friend, and even meeting a friend in game by chance is difficult. This might instill a “kill or be killed” mind set into all of us who play unturned “Killing” is the only way to stay alive

6 Likes

I am actually really happy that people actually are still discussing in this thread. I was actually conviced that it was going to die.
Thank you people. You made my day.

5 Likes

No problem.

2 Likes

I think with the new “excursions” and other pve content mentioned (zombies and food decaying) I believe people will be more willing to act together. But I think any pvp survival game will always have a KOS issue, not just KOS being present but a PROBLEM. People are people. To me I love playing with the idea of a player driven threat in the back of my mind. To me this is a key factor to surviving. Food, AI threat (zombie or new bandit), environment, and players.

But I think maybe having the some quest lines and AI traders unavailable to KOSING players (-rep) could discourage some but at the end of the day groups and players will always go for the easy kill to gather an hour or many more worth of loot. This is the nature of survival.

I think it just comes down who is behind the screen and there current motives. I have actually met 2 good friends I play Unturned with regularly because we allied together to take out the superpower Kosing group of the server. So even though KOSING in theory is bad it forced me to join forces with randoms to create lasting relationships.

Not to say I like getting Kosed, cause I don’t. But I need someone to play the bad guy, something to work for, something to rally against. Imagine how weird and unrealistic it would be if a full lobby of players where all working together and raising farms and helping each other. We need someone to be the bad guy, someone to make the good guys good.

3 Likes