Specialized "Economy"

(Emphasis added)
He was responding to when you said spawning with clothing ruins immersion. Until cosmetics were added, gold players spawned with actual clothing. Since 4.X will have so many more clothing slots and stats, I don’t think progression would be ruined by having some low tier clothing for gold players, dev testers, premium pass holders, or built into the skill set system. Cosmetic items, on the other hand, have nothing to do with a survival game.

Idk about you guys, but I kinda liked the economy

Not the crazy Bubbly Pirate Hat and the Raining Cash Jacket or these weird outfits that you’d get.

Most of what I want is just simple shirts and pants to change so that I’d look a bit different when i spawn in rather than everyone having a white shirt and cowboy pants

My problem is that it wouldn’t let you see what the person is wearing, as it will be covered by the hat (in this case). If this isn’t the case, then I’d be fine with it.

Perhaps you could have it so the cosmetics are automatically overpowered by actual items, so if you’re naked it shows your cosmetics instead, but when you find a baseball cap, it replaces your dank hat.

ew no plz

Just go back to Rust’s system. That idea for cosmetics is still always the best one. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it here yet before, but cosmetics using the textile variation system would be nice too.

Honestly I’ve been pretty surprised at the amount of requests for an economy redesign. Will have to carefully consider it!

14 Likes

Interesting…
:thinking:

Customization aside an economy is still one of the best ways imo to generate revenue that can sustain things like all the sites (wiki/blog/forum), servers, repositories, and future projects. :man_shrugging: Even if you aren’t worried financially it’s useful to still be bringing in a substantial amount more than you’re putting out each month.

Then there’s stuff like how it helps the community feel closer together or whatever… that thing. The people thing! (Curated economy items is what I’m talking about.)

2 Likes

Considering that Unturned II might be on both Steam and the Epic launcher, I think this system with a few tweaks could work out since I’m not aware of the Epic launcher having a community market based off of money like Steam.
Either way I’m curious to see what happens with this system!

1 Like

I’d rather the economy be used to reskin or spawn with actual clothing items than to hide what a player is or isn’t wearing. If players could spawn with clothing it would have to be a limited amount, or only certain slots, and better clothing would have to be available through actual gameplay.

1 Like

YES! Rust’s system for cosmetics is the best

1 Like

I mean, that’d be fine for players who are already experienced, but for new players they’d think that they are actually wearing clothing.

I’ve had a little time to rethink about this topic because it’s kinda a debate and I am starting to agree with a little bit of cosmetics. I know I did disagree like yesterday but people can change.

If cosmetics were to be added I would only like to see a little bit and not over the top. Only simple shirts, pants, maybe shoes, hats, backpacks.
Unturned did have over the top cosmetics in 3.x such as all the bubbly, fire, electric, money cosmetics which were not fun to see in servers.

How does the Rust cosmetics system work? Is it similar to Unturned?

Rust has an economy like Unturned, pretty much the whole thing is the same actually, but there are a few main distinctions:

A) most of the guns and clothing in Rust are craftable, so skins are crafting based. When you craft a revolver for example, you can select a revolver skin, and once you craft it, the skin stays on the gun even if it is dropped. This means you can kit out your buddies with the same cap that has a skull marking on it and have a squad uniform of sorts.

B) you can break down items as well. Breaking down weapons gives you metal, breaking down clothes gives you cloth, breaking down buildable skins gives you wood. Each can be used to then craft various containers of sorts to open.

C) Some of Rust’s skins are just as immersion breaking as Unturned.

2 Likes

With the Rust system where you have to craft for skins, does it carry over to other servers because I have played Rust before and played on many different servers. For example if I played Canada 1 and made a skin for a revolver would it carry over to US 1??

It sounds like a cool system for Unturned because I can see weapon skins being craftable and equipped to for example a maplestrike.

I’m not sure what you mean.

When I said skins are crafting based, the only difference is how the skin is actually applied.

Unturned: skin is in your Steam inventory, and it shows when the gun is in your hands only, and not when dropped or given to another player

Rust: skin is in your Steam inventory, and it shows on the gun when you select that gun in the crafting menu to make it. The skin stays on the gun itself and can be passed to other players as well as dropped on the ground with that skin still in effect.

1 Like

Honestly, I see no reason to debate this SO harshly.

Nelson said there wasn’t going to be tradeable cosmetics or so; no microtransactions. However, cosmetics can still be workshop mods stuff.

Official simple ingame cosmetics? I can agree with that, wether found or crafted.

Now, is this whole thing because of what? I’m really lazy of seeing the rest of replies at this point right now.

They’re not useless for the reasons stated in this thread.

Yes, the debate is in fact about the non-economy cosmetic system. Think Rocket League or BrainOut.

Nelson also responded to this thread saying he’ll consider what we’ve said, so I’d advise actually reading through.

I’ve also done a decent job of summarizing my take on the debate as it has progressed.

This debate needs to be intense because it will be very important in the future, but also, because Nelson has acknowledged that this will have a possibility of consideration for the game.

But skins like those are the minority. The important thing is that they actually fit with the game’s theme, unlike the ones in 3.0 where it was just crazy.

Also, the best part is that there aren’t any cosmetic items. If skins were to be added to 4.0, I would like it to be like Rust because the only things it changes are the colors and patterns, nothing that actually looks different than the actual item.

1 Like