Suppressors

Introduction

Are we rushin’ in, or are we goin’ in all sneaky beaky like?

Although technically it would make more sense to make a post on muzzle attachments in general, that one really long post that Molt made back in May had already covered what the different muzzle devices generally do, so I decided to go ahead with this post.

External Suppressors

A silencer does not make a soldier silent, but it does make him invisible.

These are suppressors that are attachable/detachable, and are attatched to the barrel of the firearm with either of two methods:

• Threading: The suppressor screws onto a threaded barrel. Usually applies to non-military firearms.

• "Quick-Detach": These attatch to an existing muzzle device, and are typical of military-type rifles.

These suppressors can then be roughly divided into the following subtypes:

Rimfire Suppressors

These are small cans, designed for use with small rimfire cartridges such as the .22 LR, and are extremely quiet. When using the correct ammunition, all the player will hear is the bullet impact. As the propellent rimfire ammunition is often corrosive, rimfire suppressors need to be taken apart and maintained.

Pistol Suppressors

(Note: With a few exceptions, most revolvers are incapable of accepting a suppressor. This is due to their design)

These are designed for use with typical pistol cartridges such as 9mm Parabellum and .45 ACP, and, aside from pistols, are also used with pistol-caliber carbines.

Rifle Suppressors

These are designed for intermediate and full-sized rifle cartridges such as 6.5×39mm Grendel and .30-06 Springfield, as well as larger rifles up to .50 BMG and 12.7×108mm. These suppressors are often sealed, however due to their muzzle energy these generally don’t require cleaning.

Shotgun Suppressors

Suppressors for shotguns do exist, however they’re also noticeably less effective than other types of suppressors. In addition, suppressed shotguns cannot use any chokes.

Improvised Suppressors

Suppressors can be made using a variety of materials. These usually consist of two pieces of tubing with holes drilled in the smaller of the two and insulating material packed in between.

Integrated Suppressors

Guess how many times I’m forced to use the word “suppressor” in this post…

Integral suppressors are those that are designed to be used with a specific gun. Although sometimes this can be removed, it’s generally advised for the weapon to be fired with its suppressor. Examples of these include the DeLisle commando carbine and the VSS Vintorez.

Captive Piston Suppressor

A unique type of suppressor in that the weapon uses a special type of ammunition that encapsulates gases. Essentially, the cartridge itself is suppressed. Examples include the S&W QSPR revolver and the PSS Vul.

Miscellanous

Subsonic Ammunition

Most firearms utilize supersonic ammunition, which has a distinctive crack upon accelerating past the sound barrier. Subsonic ammunition reduces this issue by traveling at a lower velocity, however this also reduces muzzle energy unless the mass is also increased, which in turn creates more bullet drop.

Wet Cans and Packing

The effectiveness of a suppressors can be greatly increased by the addition of a coolant such as oil or water, or by packing material such as steel wool into the suppressor. Coolant, however, quickly evaporates after just two or three shots, while steel wool usually needs to be replaced after about ten shots.

Polling

It’s poll time!

Suppressors and Velocity

In most games, suppressors are depicted as decreasing muzzle velocity and increasing bullet drop. However, this is opposite to what they actually do, on the contracy, suppressors actually increase velocity.

• Suppressors decrease velocity and increase bullet drop
  • Suppressors increase velocity
  • ~ Null option (accidentally voted) ~

0 voters

Suppressors and Maintenance

• Some suppressors should need cleaning
  • Suppressors should not need cleaning

0 voters

Suppressors and Attachments

• Suppressors should conflict with certain types of muzzle devices
  • Suppressors should not conflict with other attachments

0 voters

Suppressors and Overheating

• Suppressors should overheat after continous fire
  • Suppressors should glow, but only visually
  • Suppressors should be unaffected by continous fire

0 voters

Suppressors and Damage

• Suppressors should reduce damage
  • Suppressors should not reduce damage

0 voters

Suppressor Types

I am in favor of the following types of suppressors:

• Rimfire Suppressors
  • Pistol Suppressors
  • Rifle Suppressors
  • Shotgun Suppressors
  • Integral Suppressors
  • Captive Piston Suppressors

0 voters

Caliber-Specific Suppressors

• Suppressors should exist for different calibers
  • Suppressors should just exist for gun types

0 voters

Conclusion

That’s it! This is the end. Thank you for taking the time to read, or at the very least skim through this topic, as well as leaving an answer on the various polls.

It is with regret that I must say I cannot hope to match the quality of GHJ or Molt’s posts, as I simply do not have the ability to create good visual aids and can only make a half-hearted imitation by copying their formatting and coming up with text walls.

Despite that, however, I hope you sincerely enjoyed reading through my effort and I look forward to making a post on another subject soon!

As a side note, yes, I have for the time being switched to an alternate pfp.

17 Likes

laughs in M1895 self-seal

As for the poll, I think it might be a good idea to have both behaviours - a pristine condition suppressor or one that is very well maintained would increase bullet velocity, but one that is poorly maintained or worn down would decrease it.

2 Likes

Whats up with all these high quality posts recently damn

1 Like

Nice post man :slightly_smiling_face:

And…
WTF is that

1 Like

I personally expect the suppressors to be like in real life, just suppress some of the noise, and also hide some of the light from the shot and reduce only a tiny bit the recoil of the weapon.

Now, I believe that there was an option in the Polling poll that would not change the velocity of the bullet, and within those two (since one is neutral) I prefer that the bullet lose speed and increase the drop, because a suppressor that besides decrease the noise still increases the speed of the gun sounds to me a little OP.

I also believe that the suppressors need cleaning, or some kind of repair, after several shots. It could also be his durability rather than cleanliness.

Although I do not quite understand what you meant here, I think they should have some conflict, for example a suppressor of a weapon, which is factory installed, should not work on other weapons.

I do not believe that there should be any kind of heating … Maintenance is enough, now having to stop firing in the middle of the fight because my suppressor has overheated seems to me to be a good stimulant to use it.

I think they should lessen the damage a little, just as a way to balance it.

I do not like the idea of ​​having 20 types of suppressors for 20 different calibers (just one example), I think it would be like having a type of tire for each type of car, which I find a little unnecessary.

My god, he watched anime so much that he turned to anime!

Supressors should definetly not reduce damage, that’s just a game myth that people have started to believe.

2 Likes

Yeah, I dislike how supressors always seemed to reduce damage done, doesnt really make sense.

1 Like

Weeaboo lvl. 2

I’m still a higher lvl than him tho

I think suppressors should not need cleaning, but would overheat and break.

For the suppressor overheating mechanic - it should not stop your gun from firing, but would visually glow exponentially as the round count goes up.

This would indicate the state of the suppressor and firing past its capabilities will lead to the suppressor breaking.

2 Likes

A few thoughts:

1. Bullet velocity and damage should remain unaffected, since IRL the potential velocity gains apparently range between 1% and 3%, which is less than the typical variation between individual cartridges
  2. Suppressors should reduce recoil a little due to the increased weight on the end of the barrel and the trapping of the muzzle blast.
  3. Suppressors shouldn’t significantly affect the sound levels when using supersonic ammunition.

Long way from it

I draw anime, and watch anime a lot. Still think so?

I suppose I dont have any anime related products, but other than that… maybe?

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.