Customizing the Eaglefire [Attachment System mega-post]

Introduction

This post will be detailing a list of potential customization options available to the Eaglefire in Unturned II. The post will be rather lengthy, and is broken into multiple parts.

This post does a lot, as it attempts to not only suggest content for the Eaglefire specifically, but it also attempts to suggest more generalized ideas for all firearms (and other related things).

–|- Disclaimer -|–

When making this post, I decided that the game’s content should only be loosely based on their real-life counterparts. I believe this allows for wider variety in its content. The game should be able to tell its own story, despite striking similarities.

Also, I’m not a gun nut. Bare with me?

There is a lot of information in this post.

• The Glossary explains various terms used in the topic, and contains an overview on the ratings for stat buffs/penalties.

• Polling contains numerous polls. These polls are not for the main suggestions themselves. Rather, they are meant to allow readers to give feedback on the implied/assumed game mechanics and such that this topic references, although they are not meant to be the main point of discussion.

• Aerosol Paint briefly discusses color/pattern variants of items, the method of their creation, and “standard” color variants.

• My opinion on: Easily Distinguishing Various Items” is a brief opinion on item meshes.

• Rail Systems covers the various ways attachments can be affixed to a firearm, the ones planned for U4, and a few others that exist.

Glossary

• ADS: abbreviation of “aiming down sights”

• Compensator: reduces muzzle rise caused by successive vertical recoil and gun shake, usually also part muzzle brake; some compensators may have holes in the bottom for redirecting pressure, which kicks up dirt particles when too close to the ground

• Encumbrance: movement impediment inflicted by overweight

• Ergonomics: stats generally regarding the animation speed in switching between hip-fire and ADS

• Flash hider: reduces the intensity of the muzzle flash “fireball” caused when firing a firearm

• Gun sway: reticle movement not caused by player input, occurring when the player attempts to aim

• Muzzle brake: reduces felt recoil and gun shake, sometimes also part compensator; oftentimes mistaken as to causing a louder noise when firing, but actually only redirects more pressure to the immediate area left and right of the muzzle

• Muzzle device: a weapon attachment affixed to the end of a barrel—such as a flash hider, compensator, or muzzle brake

• Scope sway: gun sway that occurs exclusively when looking down a scope

• Suppressor: affixed to the end of a muzzle device to reduce gunshot volume

Stat Boosts and Penalties

The ability stats each component/attachment provides is described rather generally. Typically, it will be described as one of five “tiers” based on how much of a boost or penalty it provides.

• Significant – ★★★★★
  • Major – ★★★★☆
  • Moderate – ★★★☆☆
  • Minor – ★★☆☆☆
  • Slight – ★☆☆☆☆

Polling

In order to make this post, some mechanics have to be assumed/suggested to possibly exist in Unturned II. These polling options allow for expressing your opinion on such features without making them the highlight of the topic.

Implementation of Gun Sway

In Unturned (version 3), the game has scope sway. The equivalent option in the poll is the first option.

• Gun sway occurs only when scoped in.
  • Gun sway occurs whenever the player is ADS.
  • Gun sway shouldn’t be re-implemented.
  • – Null option (accidentally voted) –

0 voters

Implementation of Inventory Weight and its Potential Punishment

• Items should have weight in the inventory.
  • Items shouldn’t have weight in the inventory.
  • Players can go over their weight-based carrying capacity, but are encumbered.
  • Players cannot go over their weight-based carrying capacity.

0 voters

Implementation of Encumbrance

• Players are slowed at a fixed rate (regardless of how far over the limit they are).
  • Players are slowed at a constant rate that increases gradually as the player becomes more overweight.
  • Players are slowed at an exponential rate in relation to how overweight they are.

0 voters

An “exponential rate” means that, as the player becomes more overweight, the penalties become increasingly more severe the more overweight they are. So at 110% weight they might be at 90% movement speed, but at 120% weight they could be at 50% movement speed.

A “constant rate” that is increasing the penalty gradually means that, once the player is overweight, they will slowly begin to be slowed down as they become more overweight. For example, for every 0.5kg overweight the player is, there base movement speed could be reduced by 2%.

Being slowed to a “fixed rate” would mean that, once the player is overweight, they suffer an immediate movement speed penalty that does not change. For example, anyone who is overweight (regardless of how little or far over they are), could move at 50% the normal walking speed.

Implementation of Manually Adjusting Stock Position

• Players should be able to manually adjust the stocks position (retracted or extended) on a collapsible stock.
  • Players shouldn’t be able to manually adjust their stock position.

0 voters

Suppressors Connecting to Muzzle Devices

Realistically, suppressors must be attached to a compatible muzzle device in order to be attached to a firearm. Should this be reflected in-game, too?

• Suppressors require a muzzle device to connect to a gun, like in real-life.
  • Suppressors can connect to guns without the need of a compatible muzzle brake or flash hider.

0 voters

Effect of Muzzle Brakes on Noise Levels

Oftentimes, it is mistakenly believed that muzzle brakes increase the volume of gunshots. This is not true. Rather, pressure is being diverted to the side openings in the muzzle brake, which causes what is perceived to be a “louder” gunshot if you stand within the vicinity of the muzzle brake’s side openings.

I do not believe that Unturned II needs to reflect this in-game with its muzzle brakes, but if it does it should compromise in doing so. While the actual volume of the gunshot shouldn’t change, the noise fall-off could, resulting in the sound being heard more audibly from farther distances than normal, which could attract zombies.

• Muzzle brakes have no impact on the sound of the weapon when fired.
  • Muzzle brakes reduce noise fall-off, but do not actually increase the maximum volume of the shot.

0 voters

Effect of Compensators when Prone

Some compensators (and muzzle brakes that are part compensator) may have holes at the bottom of the muzzle device. When used near the ground, this results in dirt being kicked up into the shooter’s face.

As a game mechanic, this would result in punishing those who use (some) compensators while prone, as it would briefly make the player unable to clearly see due to the dust particles flying out from near the muzzle. Should this be implemented?

• Some compensators will kick up dirt whenever they are used while prone.
  • Some compensators will kick up dirt when they are used while prone and on a dirty terrain (such as dirt).
  • Compensators will never kick up dirt.

0 voters

Aerosol Paint

A majority of the items detailed below should be available in different colors. They can spawn painted a certain color, or they can be manually spray painted.

In addition to solid color states, items can also be patterned (typically, of the camouflage variety). An example of this would be the pattern on the MOLLE Rucksack.

Not every item can spawn in every potential color/pattern variant. Instead, some must be manually spray painted to achieve the intended variant.

In addition to the more “standard” color variants, additional colors like gray and white, or even red and purple could be found, with the more colorful styles being exclusively painted on. Aerosol paint opens up the possibility of allowing “skins” or “patterns” being spray painted on with certain aerosol spray paint cans.

My opinion on: Easily Distinguishing Various Items

Some muzzle devices and other such weapon attachments can look very similar to each other. Understandably, good game design should include letting the player be able to easily distinguish various items.

In Unturned (version 3), this would be more challenging, as the limited art style did not allow for much distinction between items. For example, how Nelson decided to handle distinguishing the three principle barrel attachments:

This should be less of an issue in Unturned II, due to the “improved art style” that allows for more detail in objects. As such, some alternative inspirations for items may be suggested on the basis of “distinctiveness”, but I do not feel that they are necessary to consider.

Rail Systems

Rail systems on firearms are straight mounting brackets on the gun’s receiver, handguard, or stock to allow attachment of optical sights and accessories such as tactical lights, foregrips, and laser sights.

Planned v. Real

According to the SDG Wiki’s official modding guides, Unturned II plans to feature the Picatinny, Dovetail, Warsaw, Weaver, KeyMod, and M-LOK systems.

Rail systems that have not been mentioned by Nelson include the NATO Accessory Rail, UIT rail, and Freeland rail.

Understanding the Rail Systems

Weaver

Weaver rail mounts use a pair of parallel rails and several slots perpendicular to these rails. Attachments designed for the Weaver systems will typically fit on a Picatinny system, although not vice versa.

The GSG-5, C7A1, and Steyr Scout all feature some sort of Weaver or modified Weaver rail system.

Picatinny

The Picatinny rail is a standardization of the Weaver rail mount. “The rail consists of a strip undercut to form a “flattened T” or hexagonal cross-section provided with crosswise slots at intervals interspersed with flats that allow accessories to be slid into place from the end of the rail then locked in place.”

Picatinny handguards typically will have rail slots for its whole length resulting in a heavier and bulkier handguard with sharp edges and poorer barrel ventilation.

NATO Accessory Rail

The NATO Accessory Rail (or NAR) is a modernization on the Picatinny system. It is backwards-compatible with the Picatinny rail, and the H&K G28 features this kind of rail system.

Dovetail

A dovetail rail has a straight mounting bracket with an inverted trapezium (dovetail) cross-section. While the Picatinny and Weaver rails are more well-known in the U.S., many European gun manufacturers offer dovetail mounting systems.

The Sako TRG, Arctic Warfare, and SA80 have dovetail rails. In the case of the AW, a Picatinny rail can be permanently fixed (which is the case for its implementation as the 7.62x51mm Firing Range Gun right now), and the SA80 has an adapter for its Picatinny rail system.

Warsaw Pact

In its simplest description, the Warsaw Pact rail is a variant dovetail rail system to side-mount telescopic sights (i.e., PSO-1) to rifles and machine guns.

PSO-1%20scope

KeyMod

The KeyMod system is intended to be used as a direct attachment method for firearm accessories.

M-LOK

M-LOK allows for direct accessory attachment onto the “negative space” (hollow slot) mounting points.

UIT (Anschütz) rail & Freeland rail

These are more so for mounting slings and other gun accessories in competition shooting.

The SIG Sauer 200 STR has a UIT rail (and dovetails) integrated in the underside of the front of the stock. There’s a handful of a Picatinny rail adapters that people will use instead though.

My opinion on: Why will/should the game have multiple rail systems?

There’s a lot of reasons people can name for things.

• Progression and Difficulty. This intentionally slows down progression, and even sets the player back, by restricting what they can use. The end-all is a bit farther out than in U3, if you want to be truly fully-decked. It’s quite artificial in nature, but it’d be effective at giving a reason for players to keep scavenging.

• Incentive and Diversity. Too often is certain content not important to the player because they don’t have a reason to use it. But, what about when your only tactical laser isn’t compatible with the gun you were using up to that point? People have more reasons to use other firearms/items.

U3 had a hard time bringing diversity to its attachment system. There wasn’t much it could do, and the closest it was able to get to was with barrel calibers. This is why we see so few grips and tactical attachments—there’s just no place for them.

Any gun that could take tacticals/grips could take any of them from the whole bunch. There’s not a lot Nelson can work with there, as the nuances of the different weapons they’d impact is too much for there to be any above-average levels of interesting attachments (except for Adaptive Chambering, which was able to scale its usefulness/viability/“balance” all on its own without being restricted to certain guns).

With multiple rail systems? It’s easier to balance things. It’s easier to say “this attachment can’t appear on this gun.” Even if rail adapters were implemented in some form, there’s more room to work with.

Content Suggestions

Barrel Components

When adding alternative barrel components for weapons, it’s important to find a good reason for it. There’s a lot of things people may consider in real-life when choosing a barrel, but most of those things just aren’t relevant in-game.

Range and Function

The main thing I’ve considered is that the most rifles would have barrels that essentially change their purpose. For example, turning an “assault rifle” into more of a DMR.

With this, the simplest of trade-offs comes down to range and inventory space. With larger barrels, it’s also important to keep in mind that they’ll often increase the gun’s profile, and thus increase it’s size in the inventory UI too.

Profiles and Weight

I think one thing that could be considered is the weight or profile of the barrel.

While they’d obviously have different weights in the inventory, it’d be fair if realistically heavyweight barrels were more durable but clunkier to use (i.e., gives penalties to something like stance-switching speed to ADS). Meanwhile lightweight barrels are the inverse (i.e., penalties to durability).

This allows for categorizing barrel components not only based on their associated calibers, but also based on lightweight/medium/heavyweight, which could each have their own standardized-ish ability stats for the typical buffs/penalties they tend to give.

Switching Calibers

Something I’m less comfortable with is suggesting barrels that aid in switching a firearm’s compatible caliber(s). Partly because I’m uneducated on all the methods for doing so, and partly because I don’t think switching calibers should be an integral part of the attachment system (which would also complicate things like muzzle attachments in the process).

There’s older threads that already discuss people’s opinions on this.

Precision Barrel v. Performance Barrel

I’m suggesting two barrels.

The Performance Barrel is already implemented, and is based on an AR-15 barrel from the “Performance Series” by Ballistic Advantage. The image I have provided is a 14.5" 5.56 BA Hanson Midlength AR 15 Barrel w/ Lo Pro, Performance Series.

• Although the name Nelson gave it is purely coincidental, it makes sense for it to be an all-rounder type of barrel. Rather mediocre at everything, rather than specializing, which any standard barrel for a gun should do.

• This should be the standard Eaglefire barrel. In addition to the description on the image, it would also be lighter than the alternative barrel I’m suggesting.

The Precision Barrel is an alternative barrel. The image provided is Aero Precision’s 18" 5.56 CMV Barrel, Rifle Length. Functionally, it extends the effective range of the Eaglefire at the cost of its ease-of-handling.

Muzzle Attachments

Muzzle Devices

Realistically, suppressors are not attached directly to the barrel like they are in U3. Rather, they are attached to a muzzle device. Muzzle devices would be flash hiders, compensators, or muzzle brakes.

There is a poll on whether or not the game should accurately reflect this. There are other polls in that area for things like muzzle brakes causing noise, and compensators causing dirt kick-up.

Types of Muzzle Attachments

Games all have their own way of implementing the various types of muzzle attachments and foregrips and such. Below is a simple explanation of their purposes in real-life, which I believe should be simply reflected in-game.

Suppressors, legally termed silencers, are affixed at the end of a muzzle device and reduce gunshot volume.

Flash hiders reduce the intensity of the muzzle flash “fireball” caused whens shooting.

Compensators reduce muzzle rise, but are often designed in a way that kicks up dust when used near the ground. Most compensators are also a muzzle brake.

Muzzle brakes reduce felt recoil and gun shake. They are mistaken for making gun’s louder, but the pressure is just being redirected out the sides of the muzzle. Not every muzzle brake is a compensator.

Real Inspirations

The 5.56x45mm Suppressor is a Knights Armament 556 QDC. It is a modern version of the widely-popular Knights Armament 556QDSS-NT4.

The Birdcage Flash Hider is the USGI A2 Birdcage Flash Hider. This flash hider is the standard muzzle device for the M4A1. Realistically, you’d likely find an Eaglefire with this already equipped to it.

The 5.56x45mm Compensator is based on the Precision Armament - AR-15 M4-72 Severe-duty Compensator DLC 22 Caliber.

Improved Makeshift Suppressor

The latest rendition of the “Makeshift Suppressor” is now using an oil filter. This is the Improvised Suppressor.

Improvised%20Suppressor%20model

Aside from the visual difference, it’d function practically the same as previous iterations. In fact, I believe if manufactured suppressors were to require muzzle devices, this could actually be a bit more viable early-game by just connecting directly to the barrel instead of a muzzle device.

Alternatives for Inspiration?

When I was trying to be inspired for this post, I came across a handful of other good examples for content. Some of these aren’t as well-known as the ones I’ve used, but are more visually identifiable if that is a concern.

Alternatively, they could eventually all be implemented, if they were given their own unique stats, which should be more feasible given the ability stats system.

5.56x45mm SUPPRESSOR

The SilencerCo Omega 300 Suppressor realistically accepts a wider caliber range, which is something important to consider when adding muzzle attachments.

Overuse of the caliber system to the point of making every item exclusive to a single specific caliber would likely make the game rather “not fun”. Regardless of the real inspiration, this should be considered so that each item can still be useful while unique, without making everything too overly niche.

The Knights Armament 556QDSS-NT4 is incredibly well-known. Additionally, it is realistically more openly compatible with non-proprietary muzzle devices.

Another issue with straying too close to realism is that suppressors tend to only work with muzzle devices of the same brand. Unturned II doesn’t need this.

However, if Nelson wanted to implement this, then he should take it as an opportunity to expand the canonical universe of the game. If weapons are going to have fictional manufacturers, then all muzzle devices and suppressors’ mounting restrictions could be based on fictional companies instead, and not be limited by the company’s they’re realistically based on (even if the two items have entirely different manufacturers in real-life).

BIRDCAGE FLASH HIDER

The JPFH-556L is more distinctly shaped compared to my example, although it’s not realistically standard.

JPFH-556L

5.56x45mm COMPENSATOR

The Precision Armament - AR-15 M11-SPR Muzzle Brake 22 Caliber is also a more distinctly shape alternative.

Unlike the suggested example, this muzzle device is a muzzle brake. It is part compensator, and has rather minimal dust kick-up.

M11-SPR%20Muzzle%20Brake

If dust kick-up was implemented, it could be treated similar to ability stats. This would let different compensators cause different amounts of dust kick-up, and allow for things like facewear to reduce the difficulty of seeing through the dust.

Handguards

Importance of mentioning “Carbine-length”?

Adding different barrel components means that, in some cases, firearm’s are going to have differently sized barrels. Handguards are available in different sizes, too. Why is this important?

An improper handguard isn’t going to make handling the gun easier, but a larger handguard is going to be substantially heavier. Handguards would directly impact how people use barrel components, as there’s indirect drawbacks to trying to kit out a larger rifle.

It also goes back to progression and incentive. People wouldn’t desire to use a carbine-length handguard on their DMR. Finding a carbine-length handguard incentives either trying a different weapon type for the time being, and/or continuing to scavenge until they can find a more suitable handguard.

Picatinny v. M-LOK

The quad-rail Picatinny handguard is already more feature-complete when found, having rails on every side, but this makes it substantially heavier.

The M-LOK handguard is lighter, because it doesn’t have any unnecessary rails. Instead, accessories are attached either directly to the handguard, or a Picatinny rail section is affixed to the handguard and you can attach Picatinny-based attachments from that.

• This handguard in particular has spaces at three different angles (two, six, and ten o’clock positions), and realistically requires use of the standard A2 front sight assembly as the only compatible front sight.

Optics, Front Sights, and Rear Sights

Eaglefire Iron Sights, Canted Sights, and the Reflex Sight

You’re already familiar with these.

The iron sights are two separate items: a front sight and a rear sight. The canted sights are the same way. The reflex sight is considered an “optic”, and is attached to the handguard in this image (although the upper receiver has a Picatinny rail too, which a canted sight is attached to).

Tubed Dot Sight, & batteries

It’s important to consider how many real firearm accessories are battery-powered. A lot of people want batteries to return, and to be used in electronics like flashlights. What about our tactical lasers and holographic sights?

I’d be fine with it, to be honest, as long as they were incredibly low-maintenance. With all the suggestions people have for the game, there’s always going to be something going on, and we really don’t want batteries to be the equivalent of low-durability suppressors.

I’d say that batteries should be needed for some firearm accessories, but most of them should be incredibly efficient, and last for many, many days.

The first way of applying the variation system to optics is through different finishes. Tan, black, and just about a majority of the stuff I mentioned earlier on in my post. Players would be able to spray paint some optics, if they so desire.

Holographic Sight, & magnifiers

The introduction of the holographic to Unturned II opens up new possibilities with magnifiers. This has been a feature previously suggested many times before now. Of course, magnifiers can be used with a variety of sights.

A second way of using the variation system is for reticle types.

image image image

ACOG, & flattop mounts

The ACOG has a flattop mount on the top of it. This allows for attaching certain, smaller sights to the top of the ACOG. This has also been previously suggested by other users already.

Personally, with all the options already available for attaching optics to guns, I don’t think this is necessary. However, it is nice to bring the idea back up again, and if it was to be implemented I assume that players might need a way to more dynamically hotkey stuff while “playing the game live,” so that they can choose what button does what after having equipped a piece of clothing or attached a new firearm accessory.

The third implementation of the variation system could be for reticle color. The examples provided are available in red and green reticle variants.

Grenade Launcher Leaf Sight, and a continuation on “dynamic keybinding”

These are some leaf sights, which are used in conjunction with something like the under-barrel M203 grenade launcher in order to aim.

Grenade%20Leaf%20Sight%20(a) Grenade%20Leaf%20Sight%20(b)

As one might assume, they’re not very useful for shooting “normal bullets.” They’re flip-up leaf sights. Many other sights are also flip-up.

For something like a leaf sight, it makes sense to only have it up while using a grenade launcher. However, this option isn’t something that would be easily available to the player without just attaching/detaching the leaf sight every time.

We haven’t seen radial menus in U4 yet, and it’s likely because of scalability. However, they would be quicker in allowing for something like this (manually flipping flip-up sights up or down). Alternatively, the tactical attachment menu could allow for this, and have it so when holding a modifier key over an attachment you can “modify” its current state (flipped up/down, stock expanded/retracted, electronically on/off, etc.).

I would much rather have a radial menu though, at least for managing firearm accessories, as it’d be quicker. Perhaps players could manually assign actions to each “section” of the radial wheel when they’re attaching accessories, for their own consistency.

Then, if the player has multiple tactical attachments (or a hybrid), they could manage each separately via the radial wheel. If an action isn’t relevant to the player, then they just wouldn’t assign that action to a section (i.e., toggling a tactical flashlight’s “strobe” feature).

Players could assign multiple actions to the same section, so that it can flip through each action as it is subsequently navigated to via the radial menu (i.e., turn the light on, turn the light to strobe, turn the light off).

Tactical Radial Actions

The final step would be to make it so players could associate a hotkey to one of the radial menu sections. If the radial menu had a limited amount of space, then this could be done from the main menu’s keybinding settings (and the hotkey would be visually displayed next to each section).

• However, if the radial menu could be as large as people want it to be, then it has to be more dynamic. In this case, I would still suggest having “main menu keybindings” for tactical radial menu actions. Players would then assign the hotkeys to a specific section when they’re editing their radial menu of tactical actions. In this case, I’d suggest at least 3 hotkeys dedicated to tactical radial actions, so that people can still efficiently use attachments without the menu.

This is important for more “immediate” actions, such as a bayonet thrust, or firing a grenade launcher. The only other “viable” alternative would be to make these firing modes in some capacity, or have them replace a different action (i.e., buttstock melee).

• In this case of controllers, it would likely make sense to pursue the route of having grenade launchers and bayonets be a “firing mode.” If an “immediate action” is assigned to a section of the radial menu, selecting it should switch the gun’s “firing mode” to that action, and shooting would initiate the action until they switch back.

Eaglefire Carry Handle

The Eaglefire Carry Handle is a relatively-straightforward optic. It could have one of two implementations:

1. It has iron sights attached to the top of it already, and the item is functionally just the Maplestrike Iron Sights. The player can more easily equip/unequip the gun “due to the handle.”

2. Players can attach their own sights on to the carry handle itself, as if it was a rail system. The carry handle still provides its bonuses to equipping/unequipping, but it’s overall a bit slower for the player to ADS, and the player would have to get used to how the ballistics are going to look. Optics could end up unintentionally misaligned, and the weapon would overall be heavier and bulkier (especially in the inventory).

Front Sight w/ Bayonet Lug

The proper way for a bayonet to be attached is via a bayonet lug on one end, and a ring that goes around the muzzle device (i.e., a flash hider) on the other. The ring shouldn’t be going around the barrel itself, like what may happen depending on the barrel’s length.

None of that would/should be relevant to Unturned II, but it’s something to consider, as there’s also things like “is there an accessory in the way of the bayonet?” Regarding the front sight w/ bayonet lug itself though, it’s just a simple replacement for the Eaglefire’s front sight, but it has a bayonet lug.

Tactical Attachments

This section does not cover too many new ideas, it just expands on familiar things.

Handgun Laser Sight

Source: Ade Advanced Optics HG54R Strobe Laser Sight for Pistol Handgun, Red

• Fits on Picatinny rails, Weaver rails, and various proprietary handgun rails.

• The variation system allows for it to spawn with differently colored lasers (red or green).

• Some laser sights, such as this one, could have a “manually hold” mode (in addition to the on/off modes).

• “Manually hold” requires that the player is actively holding down their tactical (radial) action key-bind for the laser to be active. If it is let go, the laser turns off.
  • Moderate battery life when using the visible laser. For other electronic accessories, battery life could differ depending on the mode the accessory is in.

Tactical Handgun Flashlight

Source: Streamlight 69260 TLR-1 HL Weapon Mount Tactical Flashlight Light 800 Lumens with Strobe

• Fits on Picatinny rails, and various proprietary handgun rails.

• “Strobe” flashlight mode, which when toggled results in the flashlight continuously flashing automatically, in “bursts.”

• Moderate battery life when using the white LED flashlight.

Tactical Picatinny Laser/Light Combo

Source: Streamlight TLR-8 Tactical Weapon Mounted Light/Laser 500 Lumens Black Finish

• Fits on Picatinny rails.

• Players can switch between a red visible laser, a white LED flashlight, and a “combo” mode that toggles both on.

• Major battery life (red visible laser). Moderate battery life (white LED flashlight). Minor battery life (combo).

Picatinny Laser Rangefinder

Source: LaserWorks LE-032 Mini Laser Rangefinder

• Mounted to Picatinny rails, and could be mounted on some optics.

• Could have a Color oLED display for providing information, rather than just purely giving the range as a snippet of text next to the gun.

• The rangefinder has an “angle compensation” mode that can be toggled into. This provides information regarding things like bullet drop or horizontal distance that needs to be accounted for.

• It could have a “speed” mode that displays how fast an object is moving.

• Moderate battery life (standard mode, speed mode). Minor battery life (angle compensation mode).

Miscellaneous Content

Although not worthy of the time and effort to be properly featured in the post, there’s a few other tactical accessories I’d like to mention.

• Red Tri-beam Laser: because Predator more lasers is easier to see, right?

• Infrared Laser Sight: because it could come into play with heat signatures and the “heat vision goggles/scope(?)” that will eventually be added. Although radically different in nature to green/red lasers, IR lasers could just make use of the variation system.

• Large/Rifle Green Laser Sight, & Universal Tactical Flashlight: basically just proper rifle versions of the handgun accessories. Larger accessories could realistically have a better battery life at the cost of other limitations (i.e., being heavier, and not fitting on smaller firearms).

Underbarrel Attachments

Real Inspirations

The VFG’s image is of a Knights Armament - AR-15 Forward Vertical Grip. The AFG is based on the AFG-2 by Magpul. The Stubby Foregrip is inspired by a TangoDown product. The Picatinny Bipod is a Leapers UTG Tactical OP Bipod.

M-LOK Vertical Grip

While the above images detail attachments for a Picatinny rail system, I’d like to bring up M-LOK again. Although the M-LOK system does allow for Picatinny rails to be placed on it, some accessories are instead directly attached to the M-LOK system.

M-LOK%20Vertical%20Grip

The M-LOK Vertical Grip would be an example of that. Rather than require an addition Picatinny rail piece first, it would be directly attached to the Eaglefire M-LOK Handguard.

Mounted Shooting

This game mechanic has been suggested frequently. Essentially, players should be able to “mount” their gun on props in the world, such as sandbags, while performing combat.

I will not heavily explore that idea here, but if “mounted shooting” was implemented then it should also function as to be suitable for prone-based buffs (i.e., everything beneficial from using a bipod).

Under-barrel 40x46mm Grenade Launcher

Based on the M203 grenade launcher, the Under-barrel 40x46mm Grenade Launcher adds substantial weight to the Eaglefire. When attached, it would allow the player to fire explosive grenade projectiles from the under-barrel of the gun.

A few interesting things should be considered when implementing something like this. The main thing is “how can players trigger the grenade launcher?”, which I sporadically cover earlier. Even something like reloading the grenade launcher could be done through that, in addition to being possible from the actual tactical attachment menu interface.

Another point of discussion is how it interacts with other accessories. In my opinion, it shouldn’t. If an accessory would block the path of the grenade launcher (e.g., Front Sight w/ Bayonet Lug), then they aren’t compatible and cannot both be used at once.

Miscellaneous Content

There’s always been relatively few grips in Unturned, as it’s not easy to give each one a unique purpose. The ability stats system, in combination with the rail system, changes that.

Although not properly featured in this post, I’d like to mention the following:

• A folding grip, which could grant various stats boosts to ergonomics and similar actions.

• A short angled grip, which could be a mixture between the Stubby Foregrip and the Angled Foregrip.

• A monopod, which while traditionally not seen on an automatic rifle (or most rifles for that matter), it could be added for additional prone-based stability. Monopods are typically placed on the stock (for example, the Sako TRG’s). There are various stocks for the M4A1/AR-15 that allow for accessories to be placed on them (although it could technically be placed elsewhere too, but it wouldn’t be that useful).

Miscellaneous Accessories

M-LOK Picatinny Rail

As mentioned previously, one method of attaching accessories to M-LOK rail systems is via first adding a Picatinny rail to it.

M-LOK%20Picatinny%20rail

These could be affixed to anywhere, as long as there is an M-LOK rail system there.

Rail Covers

Rail covers are used to cover portions of unused rail. For something like a quad-rail Picatinny handguard, it’s more comfortable and you’re less likely to get something snagged on the rail.

Picatinny%20rail%20cover

For gameplay, this could provide a slight boost to ergonomics/handling-based stats. Above are examples of rail covers for an M-LOK and Picatinny system respectively.

Ghillie Gun Wrap

Bayonet

Earlier, I suggested the Front Sight w/ Bayonet Lug. This brief section is about the actual bayonet.

Again, realistically, the bayonet needs to be affixed to both a muzzle device (not the barrel) and a bayonet lug. Depending on the barrel and gas block, sometimes this doesn’t realistically work out. In-game? I don’t think it particularly matters, and I am unsure of the complications in having an attachment that is affixed in two separate areas.

The specific bayonet I’ve chosen for my inspiration is the OKC-3S bayonet. When attached to a gun, it allows for sharp melee thrusts. It can also be used without a gun, as a fighting knife. Unlike the M9 bayonet, its appropriate sheath does not double as a wire cutter.

Stocks

The PDW Stock is based on the Battle Arms Development PDW Stock System with Stock Assembly and Ultra Compact Buffer. It would make sense for this to be the rarest manufactured stock, due to its more unique “compactness” factor.

The Telescopic Stock is already implemented into Unturned II, and the image I used is a B5 Systems BRAVO Collapsible Mil-Spec Stock.

The Fixed Stock is a Strike Industries Viper Modular Fixed Stock.

Civilian Variants of Firearms

With the attachment system, it would be very simple to implement the same base weapon in several different tiers of areas. For example, the Eaglefire and Maplestrike are similar weapons in Unturned and real-life, and in the case of Unturned II could essentially just be variants on the same base gun receiver.

Unturned II’s Eaglefire could have a civilian variant. This variant would have all of the most lackluster of manufactured accessories, and provide the player with a relatively “alright” weapon that they can eventually make into a good weapon by upgrading the individual attachments and components of it.

If firearms had multiple receivers (i.e. a Military Eaglefire Receiver with all firing modes and a Civilian Eaglefire Receiver with only semi-automatic), then attachments/components could be entirely cross-compatible between the two, but “civilian variants” could be even less inherently powerful (or more of a side-grade).

Adjustable Stocks

A lot of stocks for rifles like the Eaglefire are adjustable/“collapsible.” While I don’t believe it’s important for players to be able to fine-tune the positioning of the stock like one would desire for optimal comfort and grip in real-life, I do think it would be nice for players to be able to collapse stocks, when potentially advantageous.

For example, the PDW Stock I have suggested. Players could have the option to fully extend or fully collapse it (stocks) on a whim. When collapsed, it wouldn’t provide as much of a bonus (if any) to the player, but would be more compact in the inventory. When expanded, it would provide the full set of bonuses to the player, but would take up more space in the inventory.

Now, alternatively, this could all just be automatic. However, that means the player could have to constantly re-extend the stock anytime they take the gun out of their inventory (which should happen, as lowered equip speed is a fair way penalty to have). Allowing the player to actually choose whether or not a stock is extended/collapsed would give more freedom to the player on something like this. Perhaps they don’t need the inventory space, so they’d rather just always have the stock extended.

Technically, the collapsed state of a stock could have other stat-related changes to it besides just the original diminished benefits, but I’m not sure what they would be (if any realistically exist). To be fair, there realistically aren’t many disadvantages to shooting with a fully-collapsed stock to begin with.

Makeshift Stock

Makeshift weaponry has been very lackluster in Unturned. In order to give it a good chance to be somewhat-kinda-viable in Unturned II, it should make apt use of the attachment system. Most makeshift weaponry should be built around the same/similar components, and be mostly cross-compatible with each other (generally) regardless of the type of gun you’re building.

For example, this Makeshift Stock suggestion should work not only on a makeshift assault rifle, but also a makeshift bolt-action sniper rifle, in addition to various manufacturer assault rifles (like the Eaglefire).

With makeshift weaponry, players will eventually find something that is, ultimately, better. By focusing on customization and compatibility for the makeshift components, they can have a longer life-span in a player’s experience.

Rail Systems on Stocks

Although none of my examples of this, earlier I mentioned that some stocks have rail systems on them (which are sometimes used for attaching monopods). Personally, I think it’s a cool gimmick for a stock or two, but I’m not entirely convinced it’d ever be that useful.

Magazines

Originally, I considered suggesting the “smallest” capacity to be at 5 rounds, but I decided that was probably too few to be relevant to the player using an assault rifle, even if it was a civilian variant.

Different Standards

If firearms have “official” variants on the base receiver, then there could be different standards for each variant. For example, a civilian variant might always have the 10rd 5.56x45mm NATO Rifle Magazine as standard.

Meanwhile, the military variant may have the 30rd 5.56x45mm NATO Rifle Magazine be standard, but it could rarely spawn with even larger magazines.

Visualized Ammo Count

Some magazines could have clear covers, which allow for an even greater expression of the visualized bullet counts Nelson has implemented into the game. For incredibly large magazines, it may only show a certain percentage of the bullets until there’s fewer bullets than that percentage (e.g., a double-drum that holds 100 bullets only actually shows the next 20 bullets at any given moment).

The End

This post does a whole lot. At least, it’s meant to, and has the opportunity to. It’s more than a suggestion.

There’s a lot of discussion elements in this post. While the suggestions are a very present part of the topic, and for Nelson, the main thing I’m wanting the community to get out of it is the discussion.

There’s a lot of ideas in the topic. I don’t expect anyone to actually have read through all of it and then decide to respond to each thing I said, especially with how my opinions bounce around and off each other constantly during this topic, but I do want to see people take an idea from the thread and run with it.

When you’re trying to make a suggestion for just pure content, you really have to come at it at the right angle. Don’t stop at the suggestion itself, but think about “fluff content” you can add that’s unique, fun, interesting, or new. Think of ways your otherwise just “fluff” filler content can interact with the rest of the game. That’s what helps to lead you towards original and valuable ideas and discussions.

54 Likes

Now this is big :wink:
Good post nonetheless

5 Likes

It’s fockin yuge! Must be damn focking gud

3 Likes

I like the sidebar, quite epic.

7 Likes

I thought of something you could improve upon, but i forgot it and i dont feel like reading it again to figure out what it was.

3 Likes

i never thought i would make it to this comment section /reply section !!

1 Like

Nice topic,well made :+1:

1 Like

10/10 topic. Not much else to add but;

I really like the overweight mechanic, the player gets slower as he goes over the cap, essentially making him a walking loot bag for every one else.

1 Like

this is massive.

1 Like

First of all, I’d like to comment on the sidebar. It’s amazing, I need to know how to do that.

Second of all, your visual aids are also excellent.

However, there’s a couple attatchments that I feel you have failed to neglect. For example, slings could allow the player to carry a rifle outside of their inventory, but would cause an increase in equip time due to the time required to unsling the rifle.

I’d also like to see infrared lasers and flashlights that are compatible with nightvision devices, as well as 20-round magazines in between the 10-round and 30-round ones.

As for conversion of calibers, caliber conversion kits would probably be the best solution, for example a 5.7x28mm conversion kit would turn the Eaglefire into an AR-57 (no idea if they’ll be a name change).

Great work as always!

6 Likes

what the fuck why doesn’t it end.
How long did it take you to make this jesus christ

6 Likes

I’m not reading all that but from the parts I skimmed it actually seems like a good idea for those that I actually skimmed through

2 Likes

I REMEMBERED! I think you should give an explanation between gradual and exponential, for non-native speakers.

6 Likes

very cool post :+1:

3 Likes

Now this is an example of the type of content we need, thank you molton very cool.

sorry molton

5 Likes

You should retire from the forums, Molt.

You’ve reached peak physical male performance.

7 Likes

didnt read all of it but it looks really good

2 Likes

He has reached more than 6 packs, grew buffer than Arnold Schwarzenegger & can rival the strongest man in the world.

He is the apex himself around now. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

IR lasers could possibly bring a big advantage to teamwork depending on how they worked. If it works more like other lasers you could possibly use them to designate targets while only being noticed by people with equipment that can see IR light like a camera or special goggles. Or it could just be a way to create a difference between passive and active night-vision equipment.

4 Likes
I added the following portion of text to the corresponding poll:

An “exponential rate” means that, as the player becomes more overweight, the penalties become increasingly more severe the more overweight they are. So at 110% weight they might be at 90% movement speed, but at 120% weight they could be at 50% movement speed.

A “constant rate” that is increasing the penalty gradually means that, once the player is overweight, they will slowly begin to be slowed down as they become more overweight. For example, for every 0.5kg overweight the player is, there base movement speed could be reduced by 2%.

Being slowed to a “fixed rate” would mean that, once the player is overweight, they suffer an immediate movement speed penalty that does not change. For example, anyone who is overweight (regardless of how little or far over they are), could move at 50% the normal walking speed.

3 Likes