The Turned general ideas (Rough draft)

I might be busy in the next few weeks so I’m gonna post this very unfinished draft with ideas for the Turned enemies. It might be more than twice the length of what is shown here if I finish it

Introduction

The Turned would be the new proposed enemy of Unturned II, reimagined from the standard green virus-born human zombies in the first game. It is described as “very dark, organic mutations and growths on the apocalyptic buildings, e.g. growths that spawn monsters or creatures attached to the ceiling.”, likely meaning that they won’t be mere humanoids but mutated forms that likely absorbs victims and create unrecognizable things.

New status: Turning Point

Separate from immunity bar. Turning Point is the progress before you become Turned. Every hit you take from Turned creatures will fill the Turning Point. Once completely filled, you will rapidly lose HP and on death you become the Turned (See ‘Revenant’ below). Possible symptoms could be pale-dark skin and/or slight growths

To make matters worse, you’ll slowly turn at the very first moment you get hit (It’s very slow, maybe takes 100 mins from 0% to 100%)

To reset the Turning point you need to inject yourself with a Vaccine. Using potent medicine like antibiotics will halt the process but will only take away a portion of it.

Types of Turned

The Turned take many forms, but witnesses have passed along and shared information on the most known forms you will face when traveling along what used to be civilization.

Walker

• The simplest Turned, incomplete to take the victim’s original humanoid form. They walk aimlessly looking for anyone not Turned.
  • Standard health with average speed
  • Has a delayed melee strike dealing damage on contact

Lurker

• Crawling mucky things that lack legs, using their strong arms to travel and cripple their targets
  • Above average health with sluggish speed
  • On contact, will grab onto a player’s legs and does continuous damage. Hitting it causes it to flinch and let go of the target.

Revenant

• Seasoned survivors who has recently become one of the Turned.
  • Standard health and speed equivalent to the player.
  • Only appear if you become Turned, will take the appearance of whatever gear you have. They are basically stronger Walkers
  • Will use either your previously-held primary or secondary weapon. They’ll be inaccurate with guns and slow with melees, however. Choice of weapon is random
  • Drops all items you had before you got killed.

Grappler

• Sentient growths on ceilings that grab onto people with its long arms while slowly consuming them.
  • Low health and are immobile.
  • When unprovoked, they appear as dark growths which can camouflage with the surrounding growths around it.
  • When near, they enlarge and long arms will appear to try to reach for the player. Does continuous damage while grappled until it is killed

Snag

• A wall of mutated flesh which will block the way of any unexpected survivor. They are commonly found blocking the passage to spawners, or valuable loot.
  • High health and are immobile
  • Immune to damage except fire and explosives.
  • Can harm you when touched or punched

Spawner

• (WIP)

Spewer

• (WIP)

Alpha Spawner

• (WIP)

Sentinel

• (WIP)

Locations and Turned infestation

(WIP)

Excursion: Overgrown Complex

I’m not sure exactly, but I believe this means that they originate from another dimension. I theorize that the Turned is a creation of an experiment conducted by an research team of an advanced civilization which has gone wrong and cause ruin to the facility. These things probably found a way to spread everywhere using the technology the aliens have created…

Alternatively the description is just an exaggeration and means that it originates from a hidden lab somewhere in North America, with the same outcome as the alien version above except that it is spread by something mobile like spores or carriers.

(Feature/mechanic ideas WIP)

I’m not entirely sure what Nelson has in mind but this is how I imagine what it would be like according to the little description on the Roadmap

17 Likes

A fun and innovative thing should be this: Since that they are no longer regular zombies but some sort of mutated being, their weak point should not be the head, but instead a mutated ball thing that randomly spawns on different locations of their body (could be on the leg, on the shoulder or even on the head). That would add some variety in fighting them, instead of the usuall “shoot the head” concept.

2 Likes

a idea to you expand your post in 4.0 probabily go have more animals why no the infection atack this animals and create zombies extremaly dangerous in forest?
and just i like the idea of a style of tair atacking you?!

What if you could make the vaccine with herbs so that you can counter the infection easier?

Leaked Unturned II Mega zombie

(Overall, I like it, but some of the zombies seem a bit gruesome for Unturned’s style)

3 Likes

You should clarify that the items drop after you kill it. (also lootable bodies are going to be implemented, so maybe it only drops what it is holding?)

1 Like

I think we should get a few more variants of Walkers, and Revenants shouldn’t be able to use firearms, only melee.

I think higher tier Walkers should be found with more health, speed, and eventually melee weapons. This would obviously scale with location/difficulty.

I do like the rest of the ideas presented thus far, and I’m interested in the other Turned ideas you have.

1 Like

I like this a lot, however it whould be nice if we got some vary quick and agile opponents, particular ones that swarm together.

Say you blast through that fleshy wall?

Say hope you can deal with all these scuttling little horrors jumping, latching, and just going everywhere on you.

If the Turned are ever considered to be able to use firearms, it should be very rarely, and they should only use low-mid rarity weapons (albeit very inaccurately and just spraying everywhere). Like what many other people have said, they’d just be holding on with whatever brain cells they have left so they wouldn’t be like the guys in Resident Evil 4.

This isn’t really the best example, but it’s a good representation of how I’d imagine it playing out.

They wouldn’t be able to hit the broad side of a barn past 10 meters at best, but they’d shoot around whatever’s in front of them once agitated, whether it be survivor or other Turned. Once their magazine is empty, they’d probably just continue on as regular walkers. Worst case scenario they try and beat you with whatever they’re still carrying onto.

Some possible armed walkers could be:

• Police officers
  • Militia
  • Military personel
  • S-7 workers (if scorpion 7 makes a return)

There would be exceptions about what they could use, they’d probably be able to hold onto pistols, SMGs, and maybe assault rifles at best. But they wouldn’t be able to use pump action shotguns, bolt-action and lever-action weapons, or really anything that’s too heavy or needs two hands. I was also thinking about some Turned holding grenades, but I don’t know how much of a good idea that’d be in practice.

Sorry if I went off from the thread a little.

1 Like

I still don’t think Turned should have firearms.

Specific examples of Turned with ranged weapons I could agree with; A Scorpion-7 Turned with some kind of arm cannon for example would be acceptable, as it’d be unique and easy to identify.

Considering armed NPCs are (somewhat) likely, I’d like to have only Players and (possibly) NPCs be the only sources of gunshots.

Giving them guns just seems weird, not to mention the gunshot would attract other zombies, confuse other players, and possibly result in some annoying deaths just because one Police zombie had a glock on him.

5 Likes

the turned would rather rethink of system shock the many concepts, who are parasitic abominations linked with hivemind

honestly, after zombie mutations, Nelson should make infected animals such as zombears for ultra-fun experience

You did a pretty good job on the concepts. I love it! If there is like a hard mode, there would be growths or Walkers that would operate vehicles and try to ram you over, but the vehicle will get damaged and will explode if you avoid or shoot it. It would also burn the growth in the vehicle which eliminates it.

I think that there should also be Animal growths too. Like if there is an infected cat, it would try to go fast and throw up on you. You have to break free by taking off the cat that is on your body with your hands. While it’s throwing up like infected puke, your turned point would decrease too. Just kill them before they notice you.

I like all of the ideas you made but wtf is an Alpha spawner? I’m pretty sure that the Sentinel should be like the Intelligent ghoul from Fallout.

Maybe instead of using guns they could just scream to get the atention of othre tunred cuz i imagine it to be the same
It shoots but misses and zombies come
It acreams but your ears hurt and zombiea would come

The turned should turn you into a zombie not another turned thing. The turned is from an alternate reality that somehow turned people into zombies. So it would make sense if it turned you into a zombie.

Sector clear.

NOT CLEAR! NOT CLEAR!

2 Likes

Personally I like the challenge of armed zombies. Mean, are you just scared of them? Anyway I don’t see inaccurate glock shots being that threatening, just a minor jumpscare.

Just makes it so that you have to be aware if your surroundings, anyway getting into gunfights in pve (or single player) sounds fun.

The whole wierd thing? Mean, it seems in 4.0 they won’t be rotting corpses, but living… Somethings… I can see maybe some from of brain activity in there, mean there be able to climb at least.

I mean, I can understand why people don’t want them though, it’d be pretty awkward hearing gunshots all over the map just for it to be a bunch of zombies with guns.

2 Likes

Easiest solution is to just have ranged zombies Turned that are better at doing their job without being hitscan lightning bolts, tbh.

3 Likes

What @Fallout_48 and @MoltonMontro said.

Zombies with guns is a trope you rarely see, and for good reason.

It’s just downright weird, and it’d really throw players off in-game.

I’m not against armed npcs with firearms, nor Turned that have ranged abilities.

That’s why I didn’t include a variation that uses guns (Except the Turned player, maybe they only use the gun as a form of blunt weapon?)

Maybe stick to organic/chemical projectiles for these enemies.

4 Likes