Variable Throttle

There are turbos that has a long rpm range, but doesn’t have mucht of that torque boost, and there are also the turbos that kick at a certain rpm, with a low range, that has that “boom” when you’re driving.

Maybe a throttle control with more authority? For example, holding shift raises throttle, holding ctrl decreases it, pressing X cuts it and pressing W sets it to 100%?

1 Like

Kerbal Space Program just called, they want their controls back.

Find me one person that would want that. It seems very clunky for cars.

1 Like

Well, I’m under the impression that it isn’t added for keyboard yet. It’s definitely a given that it is implemented for controllers.

1 Like

It doesn’t work for keyboard bwcause the vakue otputed by the keyboard is either 1 or -1. The moment you assing the gamepad and move the analog stick a litthe it would output different values. And how would it work with a keyboard?

The topic at hand was moreso having a throttle modifier (shift) that changes the throttle from say, 50% to 100%. If you read my other comments you’d know that I’m fully aware that keyboards are not analogue. My reply to you was because I was under the pretence that you only thought I was suggesting this for gamepads/controllers.

1 Like

Fuck, you caught me.

As I previously suggested in my first ever post, the Vehicle Overhaul, I’d like for watercraft and aircraft to have this function as they operate like that IRL.

Land vehicles…not so much. You have a gas pedal, not a throttle stick.

Did you even read the post or just the title?

I’m saying that both keyboards and controllers should have variable input for aircraft and watercraft (ideally through a system similar to that of War Thunder), while both platforms should have binary input for land vehicles (meaning controller players would either be at 0% or 100%, and no in between).

What you suggested over a year ago was that on planes and boats the acceleration should remain constant* until the player chooses to throttle up or down, mimicking how IRL a throttle stick stays in the same position without being actively pushed. What OP is suggesting is that you should be able to control how quickly you’re increasing acceleration by how far you push the analog stick/whether or not you’re holding the shift key, mimicking how IRL you can control how hard you’re pressing on the gas pedal or pushing/pulling on the throttle stick.

*I’m ignoring the negative acceleration from gravity and friction, to keep this reply under 4 paragraphs in length.

I’d much prefer an option of a Tiptronic transmission, so you’d have only 2 binds for shifting: one up and one down, while reverse would be linked to the conventional S or down arrow.

This could more work with a Manual Transmission. Gear 1 gets you to 20%, Gear 2 gets 40%, etc. Gear 6 would put you in overdrive which would increase speed to 125% but it would consume gas at twice the speed or something

That’s really not how cars are supposed to work.

Overdrive gets your engine consuming less, because it’s working at lower RPM.
Google to prove:

I know that overdrive gears in manual cars consume less gas. I was thinking closer to Afterburn that jets have, it consumes more fuel but at the same time it makes the jet go a lot faster. For the purpose of balance to the game, going at that overdrive speed and consuming more fuel would make it that “Short Burst” of sorts

throwback to Turbo Boost from Knight Rider

1 Like

Or maybe we could use numpad keys to change the %

That by far has to be the stupidest idea on this topic.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.