Weapon Jamming

That’s still a pretty high threshold - 70% isn’t that hard to reach in U3, but I hope that the durability system will be way better in U4 to say the least. In any sense, it should either be limited to drum magazines or chains, or just not implemented. Having a magazine break in the middle of a fight at even 70% durability is a big yikes from me, and even having the slightest chance at such a high durability level is kind of paranoia-inducing.

Here’s my take:
Pros of drum:
*More space efficient. You’ll carry more ammo overall.
*Less reloading. Enemies will find you seldom vulnerable.
*Compact suppressive fire option. In a pinch your AR/SMG can double as a shitty LMG.
Cons:
*Faster ammo burn. If you’re trigger happy, you’ll blow through ammo very fast. It may form a bad habit.
*Longer reloads. Can’t dump mag in the standard pouch, it takes around, what, 5 seconds to change an empty drum?
*Poor suitability for suppression. The ARs and SMGs will overheat a lot quicker and wear out real darn fast if you do it regularly.
*Possibilty of jams. While very miniscule, still possible.
*High maintenance. To avoid jams, you’ll need to maintain the drum carefully.

1 Like

lol it takes about 4 seconds to change a box on a Minimi
Maybe 3-4 seconds with 0 upgraded skills? 5 seconds is one hell of a while if you’re constantly being shot at or chased by zombies.

I like these two. It’s a counterbalance between magazines and drums, and lets you have higher ammunition reserves at some costs that may or may not be the balance between the two magazine types.
Personally, I dislike drum magazines but since in U3 there’s really no downsides I use them anyways.

1 Like

Fair enough. The thought was: How long would it take for you to:
Pull the drum
Stow the drum in a dump pouch
Unfasten the strap and pull a new drum from the pouch
Put the drum in and charge the weapon.
Four or five seconds. Probably could cut this time with a tactical reload and dropping the drum but then you need to send a Combat Janitor.

realistic doesn’t mean good for gameplay

1 Like

I don’t recall talking about plasma rifles, mate.

Yes I know you meant chamber the round shut up just give me my internet points

How the hell would that take 4 or 5 seconds? Take a look at any other game with drum magazines, I’d bet none of them take that long to reload.
Even then, a simple rifle with a drum taking as long as a LMG to reload absolutely does not make sense. Like turkler said:

Making drum magazine guns have the same reload speed as a light machine gun makes it a “light light machine gun”, and that just doesn’t fit.

I do think Aden’s point is specifically important to a lot of posts. Of course, the line for fun/unfun tension can differ person-to-person too.

• (E.g., is gun maintenance just a bad mechanic meant to cause tension, or is it the fault of the player?)

There’s some good discourse in the topic. Suggestions for it to be arbitrarily tied to a specific category of guns (e.g., LMGs), or to be implemented with a focus on keeping the feature balanced rather than punishing. It’s productive input, even if people disagree with each other.

2 Likes

Just wanted to add that i for one did find in stalker games that one of the most nerve wracking and memorable moments you can get is being deep in a sewer with a bloodsucker sprinting at you and your gun jams.

I’m all for jamming by overheating and poor maintenance. Barrels colliding with walls making pistols and SMGs more useful in CQB sounds cool too.

far cry 2 but with zombies

1 Like

Charging, the act of cycling the empty action until it is ready to fire (Condition 1/0)

Again depend son the type of mag release/retention, the actual heft of the magazine and arguably users familiarity with the gun.

I can only get so erect

2 Likes

would be interesting if a jamming mechanic was added, possibly makeshift weapons could have a higher chance to jam and that the chance can decrease for all guns the higher a crafting and/or firearms skill is. :friendly:

Why in the hell did this get so controversial

Because depending on how such a feature would be implemented would severely change how the game plays. Shooting zombies and other players is a massive part of the game and a suggestion like this has the ability to completely change how people go about playing if it was to be added.

3 Likes

To be fair, I should have thought of that myself. But im dumb lol

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.