Balancing trunk storage in 4.0

In Unturned 3, there are only a select few vehicles with a significant storage space, such as the train, cargo truck and, including curated content, the Belgian Skyland plane. However, even these vehicles have a ludicrously low carrying capacity compared with the player, as I will show below.

The Skyland plane is based off of the AC-130, a transport/gunship primarily used by the United States Military. In real life, it can carry 42,000 pounds, or around 19,000 kilograms. Even if we decrease this by an order of magnitude to account for differences in the in-game model’s size, we still get a plane that can lift 4,200 pounds. What is the trunk storage space? 10 by 10.

Now at first, this sounds like a lot, but only because one wants to compare it to other vehicles. A full military gear player has an inventory space of 121 slots, plus the primary and secondary slots. So why is it that a single player can carry more than a massive gunship? I understand that realism for the sake of realism can be bad, but this is just plain silly.

To look at another example, let’s look at the cargo train. It has the second largest storage in the game, at 8 by 7 slots, as much as…an alicepack. A goddamn freight train can be beaten in capacity by a player with a parka, jeans and almost any vest. Or a naked guy with a backpack. let that sink in.

Now, I would like to address the elephant in the room: Mobile bases. “What’s the point,” you may be thinking, “In having a bunch of trunk storage if you can just place lockers all over the car?” Well, dear reader, prepare for a rant.

See, I despise the mobile items system more than anything else in 3.0. I hate it more than people who kill naked players. I hate it more than mic-spamming cringe kids. I even hate it more than 20x loot /tpa /vault /kit /maxskills servers with 26 players crammed into PEI. Why? Because I can avoid those things by playing carefully, while mobile bases are absolutely inescapable. It seems that every time I get immersed on a server, I see a guy fly overhead with a sandpiper with 10 wardrobes on its wings, or a golf cart so covered by plates that it looks like a hedgehog and can’t even fit through a military checkpoint. If I want to actually store stuff on singleplayer, I have to either edit every trunk size in the code, or put wardrobes on everything. It just doesn’t work for me, at all. And yes, there is an argument to be made that they are balanced. However, “Balanced” does not mean good. If Nelson decided to add a “Balanced” magical tome with Maplestrike stats, it wouldn’t be good. This is Unturned, not War Robots.

Mobile bases are another topic for another day, but the bottom line is that they don’t work in 3.0, and have no place in a realistic game such as 4.0. Of course, I would love to have vehicle customization, but I would prefer to have it handled like Mad Max, with interchangeable engines, addons and mountable guns. I’m all for adding plates and storage, but there should be a weight limit at the very least.

Basically, I want to see this,

Not this.

mqdefault

Okay, my rant about mobile bases is over. In 4.0, I would suggest that trunk size be much larger and more modular. The car in the demo is a great example, with (I think it was Nelson) mentioning that you may be able to use the back seats as storage for items, not players.

I have a number of ideas for balancing storage.

-Most simply, we could increase the storage capacity of vehicles. I would also enjoy seeing either item size or inventory size reworked, and I think that players by themselves should be able to carry less items in general. (Come on, carrying 14 assault rifles around and being able to sprint is just plain ridiculous). A car should at be able to carry at least as much as a decently geared player; A cargo truck, double.

-Also, if we have a weight system added in 4.0, then vehicles could have a very high weight capacity. Even though metal bars may not take up much space, they are certainly very heavy. Being able to carry 100 metal bars and jump around reminds of Minecraft, the difference being that Minecraft is not a supposed to possess realistic survival mechanics. I love the idea of being able to dash in and grab some cloth or snacks, but needing a vehicle to effectively loot machinery, metal scraps or large amounts of items.

-Finally, @GreatHeroJ had an amazing idea and made a post about sectionalized clothing (Link at bottom, check it out, seriously.) You obviously can’t carry a generator in your pants, so perhaps some items could simply be too large to fit into conventional clothing. They could be picked up and “Held”, but not put in to the inventory, then be “Loaded” into vehicle trunks, which would have no compartments similar to 3.0. If this is too complicated, large items could be simply impractical to carry with compartments, as packs would have at most one or two slots large enough to fit the item. I certainly hope that, if there are very large items (Think industrial generator) they take up more than 3 by 5 slots. Honestly, the only reason for that size limit in 3.0 is that you’re supposed to be carry any item without a pack, but this just isn’t the case in real life. A naked guy can’t carry a car-sized generator and swing a knife without dropping either, and, no matter what your opinion is on storage, I’m sure we can agree that it sounds ridiculous when you actually say it out loud.

I feel that some combination of these three would make vehicles far more viable as a storage method in 4.0. The fact is that, as of now, vehicles are very useful for transportation, but the trunk storage is always an afterthought. When I find a car, I get excited that I can move quickly, not that I can fit the equivalent of what I can in my pants in the trunk. Unfortunately, if I simply need to loot a nearby location right now, even something with as high a capacity as a cargo truck will only increase my storage by 25%. When players only use vehicles for transportation, it defeats half the point of said vehicle. Ideally, it should be able to carry more than the player, not less. Otherwise, 4.0 will be filled with players running around with a dozen generators in their backpacks, while they struggle to fit a couple of shirts into their cars. It hurts immersion, it makes no sense and it makes vehicles much less important. And in a game intended to be more realistic, that could cause great harm indeed.

Whew, that was a mouthful. I’m trying to improve the formatting in my posts, so sorry about the text wall. This was more of a stream of consciousness kind of thing, and if it sounded like I’m hating on 3.0, I’m not. I love the game, but I want to love 4.0 even more, and so I get somewhat passionate when I write.

Link for the clothing post:

Cheers!

23 Likes

jesus christ those fudgy and elitelupus videos make me want to kill myself brutally

14 Likes

The only problem here I see is how much harder that would make basebuilding. I remember watching someone attempt to build a base in DayZ, and he spent over an hour trying to carry two hescos over to fix a hole in the wall.

Now, I’m not saying that this is a bad idea, just that you probably shouldn’t put in movement restrictions as that would essentially make vehicles a must, and personally I just don’t like being tied to vehicles.

That’s a fair point, and I agree it would make base building even more tedious. I suppose that being able to carry industrial machines, but only a few, would make building easier and vehicles could simply expedite the process of resource gathering.

It is a very good idea, it would give a greater utility to slower vehicles like URAL of unturned 3.0, since most of the players when placed in front of a formula 1 car and an URAL they always choose the Formula 1 car, while that in real life in the case of an extreme survival environment (a zombie apocalypse) we would almost have to choose the truck.

1 Like

I agree with RedComm and it would make base building much harder but maybe we could use carts or if there is snow sledges or get a weelborrow (i hope i said that right)from a farm and while using a cart or a sledge you could use one handed weapons in case you get atacked

goodbye argument

on a more serious note, I am also not a fan of mobile bases but I do think that they should still be a thing in 4.0, just less accessible. For example, a person could live in a dumptruck, plane, semi-truck, or another large vehicle. I do like the idea of vehicle customization as you suggested.

mobile bases should be a thing, just you can’t build structural items and external storage on cars like in 3.0. RVs and trucks and caravans should be a thing, as well as canopies for pickup trucks you can put a bed in.

2 Likes

+1
This idea seems really good to me and I also despise mobile bases and feel they have no place in Unturned II.

1 Like

Just to clarify, I am fine with mobile bases as long as they are realistic. For example, a massive dump truck would be able to house a player and some furniture in the back. However, the weight limit should be very realistic, as there’s no way in hell a plane is going to take off with a bunch of metal plates welded to its wings. I am in favor of small mobile bases on vehicles such as dump trucks, but I’m not a fan of mobile bases on planes. In reality, that’s just not how planes work, and while I’m fine with putting some stuff in the cargo bay, putting plates on the exterior or adding too much weight should stop the plane from taking off.

I’ve had a few ideas recently for additions that could make building on vehicles more interesting.

• Mobile automatic weapons, such as sentries. These would be end-game buildables, would be very heavy and require quite a bit of power. Otherwise, they would function like sentries in 3.0, with perhaps more than one category (Light, medium, heavy, for different weapons) and a toggleable targeting setting. If you’ve ever used the open modular turrets mod for minecraft, I think that a system like that would be awesome.

• Mountable guns. If a vehicle doesn’t come with a gun, you can put one on it, like a manually operated sentry. Like the mobile sentries, these would require a lot of power. However, they would be much better whilst being operated, as they would have player-operated weapon stats versus automatic stats (Better range, accuracy, targeting and fire rate).

• Armor plating, designed specifically for vehicles. This way, players could add armor to their vehicles without making them look like hedgehogs. Of course, these plates would be smaller and much lighter.

• Possibly the ability to change or upgrade the engine/other parts. A little bit far-fetched for now, but It would be pretty cool to have in a future update.

3 Likes

i don’t really care about this, i usually travel by foot anyway.

Vehicles will be more important in 4.0 due to increased map size, and traveling on foot will likely become less viable overall.

3 Likes

cars are for the weak…

Bro you have greater chances getting a girlfrend on realife than geting a car in Unturned . Just do da math.

1 Like

What if they’re the same?

Wait shit I think I just invented a furry variant

While maps may be larger, the tools to fill them with content will also be more robust, so there should pretty much always be something worthwhile within walking distance.

you dont need a girlfriend when you have an unturned beta key that can fill the hole your soul

First mistake, comparing 3.0 to Unturned II.

This is a crutial part of your argument’s foundation because first of all, Unturned II will have a weight system so there’s no need to say "the plane can only have 10 slots but can carry 4,200 pounds while a lone human can carry 121 slots (given this information is 3.0 exclusive). If my memory hasn’t failed me, a lot of people have asked the clothing system be like EFT, having a couple big inventory slots for big items and the rest being small slots for small items exclusively. Let alone the weight system.

Second, we should put a limit to the vehicle storage capacity. A car shouldn’t be able to carry more than a player, size-wise. For balancing purposes of course.
Because it wouldn’t be a survival game without risk in every decision you make. Having the player be able to carry much more will push the player to focus on what to prioritize. Which items should he store in a safe car, and which items should he keep with him knowing good and well that he might die from any means, losing what he has.

Please stop using 3.0 as a reference to II.

Weight systems have been confirmed a long while ago,but they havent been implemented yet.

The rest is good however. Good post

4 Likes

I compared 3.0 to II because, while they will likely be rather different, they are fundamentally intended to be the same thing: A survival sandbox game. I am using 3.0 as a reference point, so when I say that a plane can carry more than a person, I’m merely pointing out the glaring issues as they stand, and how we can avoid them. I don’t see how this is a mistake, as I’m not asking for 4.0 to be similar to 3.0.

I understand that a weight system will likely be added, and as I stated, a system where vehicles can carry a large amount of weight would be lovely. I’m not really sure what your point is in your first paragraph, so if you could elucidate it for me that would be great. Again, I don’t really think it’s necessary to tell me that “There’s no need to say so and so because it’s 3.0 exclusive,” as my whole point in this post is to prevent the same mistakes from happening in 4.0, which I can’t really do if I don’t mention the mistakes.

In response to your second paragraph, I have a simple question. Why? Why should a car not be able to carry more than a player? At the moment, it’s ridiculous that players have to carry all of their items with them. To me, so vague a reason as “Balancing purposes” is not enough to keep vehicle storage so poorly handled. Again, I see what you’re getting at here: A weight system would fix a lot of these problems, and you’re not wrong. But the thing is, having a car store less than a person is still a problem. For example, I can carry maybe six pillows with a backpack if I manage to compress them sufficiently. A car trunk, with the same compression, could carry dozens. I’m not asking for a car to carry 10 times as much as a player, but to bottleneck vehicle storage based on player storage seems, quite frankly, illogical.

In regards to your statement about risk, I, of course, agree that survival games are heavily influenced by it. However, the prospect of losing a few guns, clothing and supplies is already a substantial risk. Being able to store more items and vehicles would make it less risky to walk into a city with guns blazing, sure, but it would also make vehicles more valuable, thus making losing a vehicle be more…risky. Either way, if your goal is to make the player prioritize, make them have to decide which items to take with them, not what they’re going to leave behind. To me, that seems much more interesting as it forces players to choose what’s important at the moment, not hoard precious items in their car like it’s a /vault plugin.

Also, I think that I will keep using 3.0 as a reference to 4.0, because if you don’t even want to look at mistakes than how can you fix them? I really don’t know why you’re so perturbed by me mentioning 3.0 when one of the main points in II is to be free of the sundry major issues in the current game. :roll_eyes:

Thanks for the info about weight systems, that’s great to hear. You’re certainly more up-to-date on this information than I am.

1 Like

I keep trying to distant 3.0 from II because: Not only are the issues of “Carrying 3 miniguns and a generator in my backpocket” due to simply bad suggestions or a bad idea in general, the foundation coding in 3.0 is hugely at fault, which is why we can’t implement so many fixes and features. The issues that you mention are well-known by the majority. You are right that we have to mention the mistake in order to solve it, but these mistakes well-known within the community and the only reason why they havent been solved is because of the foundation coding of the game. That is why Nelson is making II. That is why I keep distancing 3.0 from II, because although the concept is similar, the mechanics and foundation codes are different.

However, as for the cars, the extreme mobility and good protection from xombies and melee attacks are enough to make them extremely important. Especially when the maps are huge. Let alone a decent storage space for an average car. Again, for balancing purposes, we dont wanna make cars the absolute goal because of how OP it is. They should use cars to save time, have some protection and some extra storage space would help a lot. However, that doesnt mean that slow pickup trucks have the same amount of space. We dont wanna make cars utterly useless and we dont wanna make cars OP because that would make the endgame easier to reach, having increased mobility, protection, and a lot of storage space where you can store your valuables. This negates the use of storage units such as lockers. If cars can do the same, but also provide protection and mobility, then lockers wont be of use. Which is why we need to divide the uses of each items to not have another imbalanced game because some items are basically superior in every single way.

3 Likes