Charts, Car GPS And Military GPS

As we know in Unturned, you have 2 different map types. You have a chart and a GPS. They’re both practically the same, except for extra detail and seeing certain areas the other doesn’t show. But that’s boring.

Charts
As we know in 3.0, these are the most basic maps. They tell you where you are and where to go. If you’re just starting out on Unturned or a new map, these are your best friend. But, they are a little too good. Not overpowered, but they make the GPS a little bit useless.

What I suggest is have the chart NOT show your position or your friend’s. Would they do this in real life? No. The maps should look like your standard topographic map, eg
300px-Topographic_map_example
Something like this is what a chart should look like, with lots of details such as contour lines and grids. The grids in particular (not included in the above map) could serve as a way for you and a friend to both find your location. Instead of saying ‘I’m near Moscow’, you could say ‘I’m at E4’, or if Nelson wants to go technical with grid references, it’d be more like ‘I’m at 6041’.

You’d have to hold a chart out to look at it, and a possible function to place it down could be good as well. Drawing on maps would only be able to be done on these, and it only saves to your map, but if you drop it then it retains the drawing.

Car GPS
Everyone’s best friend when it comes to driving, the trusty car GPS. These would only display the roads and towns. No unnecessary info here. Most cars would have one of these built in, and you can take them from some cars to either put it in a different car or hold it. They would use battery, assuming that’s a feature in 4.0. The maps always center to your location and can not be zoomed in or out. These do sound pretty useless, which they are. A car GPS would be pretty bad for navigating, but it’s a zombie apocalypse, you don’t really get a choice.

Military GPS
Finally, the most advanced, the military GPS. Found at military bases, if you and a friend have one, it’ll show your position to eachother. It’ll also show 6 digit coordinates incase your chart buddies need directions. It shows the most information, basically a satellite image from right before the apocalypse. You can’t draw on these, but you can put a single marker on that if your friend has a military GPS, he can see.

These were my ideas on the charts and GPS’s of 4.0. I hope you guys liked them, and let’s have a civil discussion in the comments.

14 Likes

I like the your ideas but I am going to suggest something to make the Military GPS more useful than the other two.

It would be nice if the Chart and Car GPS would only show the main military points such as maybe an Airfield or base but not show any other military places (Such as bunkers, etc) if there are any, this would make it so that you can’t just pick up a chart and be able to go to all of the military points. What I am suggesting is that there could be military points not marked on the Chart or Car GPS, this would mean that the only way to find the locations not marked on the Chart or Car GPS would be to either stumble upon it, know its general location or find the Military GPS.

5 Likes

That’s perfect.

My suggestion would be to have wall maps with the locations next in progression so you can add them to to your map. If your friend has a radio and gps, they can be set to constantly update his location on your gps, and the gps can be plugged into docks in hard to access areas to add new locations.

Something around the lines of Far Cry’s radio tower system wouldn’t be bad, albeit there should be waay less towers.

You have earned my +1
Awesome suggestion

1 Like

But the charts, car GPS and military GPS all had maps before the apocalypse. Why would I need to do something akin to Far Cry to get info on my GPS, even though they run on satellite imaging?

1 Like

In 1.X the chart was essentially an aerial view, and didn’t show your position, and the GPS only told you your coordinates. Maybe something similar could be done in 4.X, but instead needing to switch between the two, opening the map could display information from all your navigational instruments.

Ehhhhh I don’t really think that’d be necessary. Each have advantages, except for the car GPS. I think you should have to hold your map instead of viewing it in the playerlist menu.

1 Like

I’d like audio and give directions to a place for the car GPS. It could saw turn and recaculating.

I don’t think making it give you a route would be necessary.

It would be neato thou…

I’m always the car.

1 Like

:thinking:

+1 Great Idea. Or you could just be like me and search up on Google “Unturned map image”

(Sorry for the late reply, I didn’t see your response immediately.) Holding a navigation tool (which would work with the dual wielding system) could give the information that that particular tool shows, while using the maps in the menu could allow you to access information from more than two tools, place markers, and such.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.