Claiming someone elses base with a claim flag?

it would be cool if when you place a claim flag in someone elses base, they lose their permissions to salvage their builds in that area, (the guy who placed the claim flag doesn’t gain the salvage perms either) but when that claim flag is destroyed, the original owner will get salvage perms back. this way, you can actually take over bases you raid (currently you only get loot from it, but this way you can also get a back-up base for when your main gets raided)

edit: for the people who dont get what i mean, read the paragraphs below

no people who place a claim flag dont gain your salvaging rights, it just disables yours until the claim flag is broken. i do NOT want people who place a claim flag to get salvaging rights, it disables everyones salvaging rights in that area.

if i raid you and place a claim flag there, i cant salvage anything. i can however destroy your doors with raiding supplies and then place my own, so then its my base, but i still cant salvage anything. so if you raid it back and destroy that flag and place your own, you can salvage things again

Sounds heavily exploitable and kinda unfun tbh. I’d find it a bit upsetting if I spent a lot of time on a base only to log off and have someone take over the entire thing while I’m gone and not be able to recover anything from it. Why even bother putting in effort if someone will just claimflag your nice big base the second they get the chance? Not to mention exploits such as how someone could just hide one near your base and prevent you from expanding or placing items inside it.

I’d also recommend editing your posts or perhaps rolling them into a single megapost since you’ve posted claim flag/base salvage ideas multiple times now instead of posting new threads.

7 Likes

Interesting proposition, I think that something like this would be difficult to employ due to the likely need to balance things because you don’t want someone to be able to place a claim flag outside of your base and take your salvage permissions (on a side note, does this just include salvage perms, what about bedrolls, or storage?) because your base is only a 2x2 structure. But if the claim was restricted to only inside your walls somehow, then someone could just ruin your base by placing structures around it and making it impossible to use. I can see where you are going with this, but I don’t know it would improve the game rather than take away from it and make it annoying to have to go through the whole process of reclaiming your base you spent 10 hours on because they got a claim flag and away inside your base. and then they could take away your salvage perms and block all the doors, now you have to raid your base just to get your loot. So I don’t think that this would improve upon the game, only take away from it. But maybe some rendition of the basic idea of having a more in-depth raiding system could be beneficial to the game but I don’t know really.

2 Likes

but the only way for them to take over the base is by raiding you and placing down a new claim flag. imo when you get raided, that should be the end. you should have to restart. if they dont place a claim flag, then you keep your base but if they want to take it over, they should. they spent a ton of resources raiding your base, they should be able to keep the base.

how do i roll them into a single mega post?

this is why i want the claim flag to be cheaper. it should be like the tool cupboard in rust, it should be a requirement to have in your base.

How would the game detect if I’m getting raided vs someone climbing to the top of my house and placing down a claim flag to take it over completely?

If they’re going to be cheaper and more powerful, not only is that a typical balance issue, but what’s the point of even making a base in the first place if it’s so cheap just to take one over by “”“raiding”“” it when the owner is offline/away

5 Likes

What I meant by this was that if you only needed to place a claim flag in the area of the already existing claim flag. You could have all your salvage perms (and whatever else) taken away because you are one person and can’t afford a crazy megabase, and even with that, I would imagine (Going off of 3.X’s claim system) you have bits of your claim flag sticking out of your base. So my main concern was that if the claiming system was similar to 3.X’s it would not work unless some sort of new claiming system was developed because someone could place their claim of your claim flag OUTSIDE of your base.

1 Like

just make it so the radius of the newly placed claim flag won’t overlap with the already placed claim flag. prioritize the first claim flag. if i place one in the center of my 3x3 and the entire base is claim protected, and someone places a new claim flag like 1 meter away from where the claim prot ends, the distance that the claim flag covers will be very short as it wont interfere with the first one

if you manage to get enough raiding supplies to raid someone before you have evne built your own base, you deserve to take over that base

remember, raiding is going to be a lot harder in unturned II

also it wouldn’t detect if ur getting raided or if someone climbed on top and placed a claim flag. you need to be the one who builds the first claim flag. place a claim flag in a safe area before logging off, and you probably wont get ur base perms stolen

According to your suggestion, all I need to do in order to get an entire base is to go up to it while the owner is offline and find a tiny corner that isn’t covered by a claim flag, place one of my own down to where it clips their base, and then salvage my way in. Besides, what happens if two claimflags overlap, who owns the claimed area in between? This entire suggestion is overcomplicated and rife with potential exploits and glitches.

3 Likes

no people who place a claim flag dont gain your salvaging rights, it just disables yours until the claim flag is broken. i do NOT want people who place a claim flag to get salvaging rights, it disables everyones salvaging rights in that area.

if i raid you and place a claim flag there, i cant salvage anything. i can however destroy your doors with raiding supplies and then place my own, so then its my base, but i still cant salvage anything. so if you raid it back and destroy that flag and place your own, you can salvage things again

Glad to hear that it wouldn’t give you full access, but I’m still concerned since I could just hide a claim flag near someone’s base and prevent them from expanding or placing/salvaging things inside. Current raiding system is fine as is and I don’t see this as a necessary change as it’d only serve to overcomplicate the base building and raiding processes.

1 Like

theres not really many spots where you can hide a claim flag though. and the claim flag is really tall so that would be hard to not spot.

the raiding process needs to be more complicated. its wayyy too easy in unturned 3.0.

For an insanely long time, you could place lockers and crates in chopped down tree trunks and when they regrew, you wouldn’t even know it was there until it happened. There’s a good chance Nelson will make sure this can’t happen from the start in UII, but similar exploits will exist and it’s a lot of work to potentially fix for a seemingly useless idea. Why bother taking back your base when you could just build another seeing as how wood is infinitely more available than raiding materials, leading to more empty bases on the map and more server lag.

Kylie did a good job finding another exploit a while back

Besides, what if I didn’t get a claim flag for my base before I have to log off? Should I lose my entire base if someone decides to put their own on top of my base in a metal box?

It definitely is, I’m just not sure this is the pivot it should all be balanced around.

2 Likes

because my base has a ton of loot in it that i spent hours farming for. ’

but claim flag should be your #1 priority. you need to adapt to place a claim flag quickly. if you get griefed, you should have placed a claim flag before then. they probably wont be too expensive also

After a raid? You even said this would be best for backup bases in the event that your main gets raided, so why would you store anything of use at a less defended location, especially if you destroyed traps and don’t pick up loot from blown up lockers, they’ll just despawn anyways.

2 Likes

i was talking about when someone hides a claim flag near my unraided base. not after a raid.

If I didn’t have a claim flag, since they’d be easier to make, I probably wouldn’t have any valuable loot in there anyways, so why go hunting for raiding equipment (significantly rarer) for the sole reason of getting back my first day items when I could just build another base in a fifth the time?

2 Likes

nelson was thinking of adding base decay into the game like in rust. so if you dont want to raid back your own base, thats fine as it will decay and it wont cause much server issues if all the inactive bases decayed.

i would go get raiding equipment if i spent a while building the base (big base little loot)