Getting Suppressors Right in Unturned

So video games get several things wrong about suppressors (video link pretty much sums it up)
Here’s hoping 4.x gets these right:
• Bullet Drop: Increase in barrel length equals increase in velocity. Threaded barrels are slightly longer than unthreaded barrels. Also, the suppressor can itself does not touch the bullet and acts as added barrel length, giving the powder more space to fill behind the bullet as it burns, thereby pushing the bullet harder i.e. increasing velocity.
• Report (re-por): Suppressors “suppress” the sound, they don’t completely eliminate it. Guns are still loud when using them, just maybe not as loud, depending on the size and design efficiency of the can and it’s method of suppression. But it’s still loud, so don’t take off your hearing protection just yet.
• Range: Seriously though, higher velocity from a longer barrel means the bullet goes faster. The bullet will still drop, but it will be further when it does. (about 0.3-1% I think the guy in the video says)
• Accuracy: In Unturned, this isn’t much of an issue as it is in other games, but accuracy is relatively untouched by a suppressor, though your bullet will fly supersonic for just a fraction longer before falling into transonic and subsonic speeds.
• Damage: Let’s take a moment to go over basic physics. The energy an object has is based off of its own mass, and the force propelling it, increase or decrease either, and the energy changes. Bullet damage should be based on velocity and bullet mass, as well as what the bullet actually hits. (Velocity should be based on an equation that uses the amount of powder to burn, the total barrel length, and the mass of the projectile.)
• Action: A suppressor does cause more back-pressure on the bolt when firing, granted you’re not using a revolver cylinder. Single action guns and bolt action guns take little to no wear and tear from having a suppressor attached, but automatic and semiautomatic firearms do if they’re not modified to shoot with them. I’d recommend a means to either swap recoil springs in your (semi)automatic gun so the bolt isn’t thrown back as hard when you fire, helping recover the slight loss in firerate, removing the added jam chance, and reducing wear and tear when firing with a suppressor. Having a standard recoil spring in a (semi)automatic gun while using a suppressor will cause more wear and tear, fractionally slower fire rate, and fractionally higher chance of getting a jam from either an shell that doesn’t eject, or a round that doesn’t load properly.
• Etc (will add more based on comments)

Video reminding me of this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWK2jHG5XfE

Despite not having a gun yet, I still study a bit on them cause I’d like to design my own firearms in the future.
Apologies for the wall of text.

4 Likes

Ye unturned II needs to get suppessors right

2 Likes

While all of this is realistic, suppressors need disadvantages for the sake of game balance. At the very least, too much continuous fire should overheat the suppressor to the point of catastrophic failure, and possibly also damage the barrel as a result.

And no, don’t hit me with that “it’s balanced because it’s rare” meme.

6 Likes

It’s not a meme, it’s a way of life. Look at all the people playing 3.0 rn.

I don’t really care about this increased velocity and detailed ballistics stuff, as long as the suppressor doesn’t just change the sound of the weapon, like it did in both Unturned 2.0 and 3.0. And i can actually use them for a while, and not like, shooting 1 magazine before it goes.

Disadvantages:
• Gun is still loud
• Causes more wear and tear to semi-automatic and automatic guns
• Revolvers are barely suppressed cause of the cylinder gap (with exception of one type of revolver in existence which has solved said gap)
• Bullet still makes a “CRACK” sound when its shot, unless you’re using subsonic ammo.
• Slightly slower ADS speed
• Longer weapon length (remember Nelson showing off how you can’t shove your gun into a wall anymore? Yeah.)
• Still requires maintenance

Advantages:
• No tinnitus (ringing in your ears from very loud sounds. Please add this Nelson)
• Your gun is a little quieter (just below the safe hearing threshold) and the sound is a little harder to pinpoint, still not silent though.
• Little less recoil on handguns.

Stupid: (I don’t even think Unturned 3 does the first 3)
• Loss of range
• Loss of accuracy
• Bullets become marshmallows hitting you instead of lead (lower damage)
• Whisperingly silent gun shots. (my least favorite thing)

I mean honestly, if we’re going realistic with reflex sights and gun calibers and clothing and bullet whizzing, why not make suppressors more realistic and less of a bother to use? And they still have disadvantages. They suppress the sound, not silence it. Silencing the gunshot is what Unturned 3 and most games get wrong.
Also, the suppressor should lose effectiveness gradually rather than breaking suddenly. e.g. Each gunshot is suppressed slightly less as the suppressor takes damage (or rather, the baffles fill with bullet and gunpowder debris)

Lowkey referencing the Nagant M1895. Respect.

If you can pull off suppressors like Escape From Tarkov (since we’re mostly going that way anyways), that’d be super good. Especially if we’re talking about ergonomics and overall gun handling playing a part here.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s one of my two favorite revolvers. The other is the Mateba Automatic Revolver. I’d like to make a revolver one day that uses both of those mechanics in the action.

The way a suppressor works is not by redirecting sound, but by allowing gas to expand inside the suppressor, so it won’t all explode out the front.

You do realize that “redirecting” the sound of a gun would mean to redirect the expanding, hot gasses to a different location, right ? What you described is basically: “A suppressor sprays your face with hot gasses and melts your face off”

That’s nearly as bad as having your fingers near a cylinder gap…

Yes, I know this, but they were originally designed by the military to redirect the sound. At least, I read this somewhere. I can’t seem to find anything aside from the commercial history of the device anymore. Maybe I’m mistaken.

Sure, yes, it sprays the hot gasses and melts your face off. We should add that to the game.

I sure love it when someone takes what I said and decides to take it to the extreme.

And i sure love people that think that suppressors used to redirect sound. I would really love to see, even 1 article, say this.

As someone with tinnitus, please dont add ringing from gunshots it would just be incredibly annoying. Explosions and flashbangs having it would be cool though

Instead of the ringing then, what about having all sound volume drop, then fade back in?

1 Like

I really wish your criticism was more constructive, but I’ve nothing to say to you anymore. Save one thing: Guns with suppressors are still loud. Sound is not a gas, it’s vibration. Hot gas spewing in your face and melting it off may or may not have sound. And I’m pretty sure the bass speakers in that car over there isn’t raising the temperature. Yes, the expanding gasses from a gun are hot, but the gas flow doesn’t determine where the sound goes.

Sound of a gunshot is produced when the pressurized gas exits the muzzle, the less pressurized the gas is, the less noise is produced. The gas flow DOES determine where the sound goes, because where the gas exits is where the sound comes from, where else do you think the gun’s sound comes from ?

Are you thinking of muzzle brakes? Those redirect the expanding gas as it leaves the barrel, which can change the sound waves and their direction.

1 Like

Acoustics. Since you don’t have an understanding to how sound works. Also, did you know sound can also travel through solid objects as well as liquids?

Possibly, the article I read was talking about all sorts of muzzle devices, so there was probably some confusion as already stated.

Yeah, because the gunshot’s sound really likes to go trough the walls of the barrel, the chamber… OH, i hear the magazine is his favorite!