Item Skins for 4.0 (Please read Nelson)

While talking to One of your mods on Discord he informed me You didn’t want to introduce cosmetics into Unturned 4.0, And to be quite frank i merely Shat my pants :poop: . I am Aware of Valve clamping down on underage Gambling and bashing the old loot boxes, so i have two suggestions

1. Creating Mystery boxes which require no keys to open, As you implemented in 3.0 during Halloween and Christmas, In my opinion this would not be gambling as when you unwrap the box you are not risking any money etc, (These would drop after a cretin play time like common skins in 3.0)

2. My second ideas was to just continue the dropping of skins after a certin play time for example with a mythical drop being like 0.5% and a rare 3% and so on,

In my opinion mythicals were a geinous idea, (Many of us relly want cosmetic skins in 4.0 and mythicals)

Kind regards- King james (AKA) Jamie scanlan :gift:

1 Like

The problem I think isnt gambling but cosmetics ruining the feel of the game as Nelson I believe is trying to make it more realistic.

5 Likes

The whole “underage gambling” thing is not the only problem at play here. He is also doing this due to backlash from a surprising amount of the 3.0 community who believed the cosmetics and over the top mythical effects drew away from the feel of the game and it made it look very childish, almost like another “hat simulator”(as tf2 is commonly referred to).

Aside from that there is also the problem with the game’s economy. It would have to be completely re-done and it would be a difficult challenge to not run into the same problems as the ones with the 3.0 economy. It’s pretty messed up right now, in many different ways.

I honestly think a sombrero or a fez that you can maybe find in a house while playing and have fun with it for a couple minutes will be the most Nelson should do in this direction, and to some extent I totally agree! Gonna miss my burning sombrero tho :expressionless:

9 Likes

Rip SirAdy’s flaming sombrero.:taco:

i think skins in arena mode would be nice, but only in arena mode or “Battle royale” mode if he decides to add cosmetics

Yeah cosmetics in arena might be acceptable if its in the game.

1 Like

I recall making a post about this. Economy items aren’t exactly what Unturned needs, but they are cool. If simple, they could match and compliment the game’s artstyle and general motif.
If done badly, you’ll have a bunch of glowing targets running around the map (I.E Shiny gunskins/mythics.)

The best way to do this is to make virtual items that are not backed by real life currency. Purely cosmetic, for the game only, no net gain or loss.

I’m pushing for cosmetics that actually have use in-gane, for example, burlap covers or camouflage.

But if you have to pay for these cosmetics people with money will have an advantage.

“Items can have randomized properties associated with them which are currently used for clothing colors/patterns and holographic sight reticules/colors. This will open up a lot more customization options like harvesting plants to create dyes for your clothes (potentially paints too?), and make content creation a lot faster – in 3.x there are 8 versions of each item for each color which is a nightmare to maintain.”
from: Unturned II Devlog #004 – Smartly Dressed Games Blog

If some form of cosmetics were implemented into 4.X, they would likely use this system. Maybe alternative color or pattern options for items could be bought, earned, traded and/or gifted.

In addition to color/pattern variations, it might be neat to be able to add patches or something similar to clothing and some sort of markings to weapons/attachments.

Burlap, ghilie netting, paracord, etc. wrapped around weapons might be better suited as attachments than cosmetic variations, but I’m not sure.

I should also mention these threads (which may or may not be super dated when you’re reading this) as inspirations.

1. That is not the reason why nelson doesnt have loot boxes.
  2. Valve doesnt give a shit about underage gambling.

The reason why nelson thought that cosmetic items aren’t good for the game is that UII is supposed to be more hardcore survival-ish. He doesnt want people to be running around a dark apocalyptic world with bright green nerf-lookin’ weapons (/clothes).

But, there will probably be a way where you can customize IN-GAME. (Like wrapping cloth or ferns on your weapon).

Where did Nelson disclose his rationale for not including cosmetics, and was that before or after he said this?

1 Like

Oop, I didnt mean not consider as in not an option i meant it like he doesnt really think they will fit with the game. I’ll change it

Although I think this is a rhetorical question, it was before. People saying micro-transactions are a “100% confirmed no” are misinformed, especially if we include the server pass.

Nelson does not run a Discord server. You’re thinking of the one ran by Sven, who selects his own moderation team.

This isn’t a thing. Are you confusing Valve with government entities—such as Belgium’s, Hawaii’s, the Netherland’s, or Finland’s government?

The Steam Community Market and unofficial (and technically illegal) sites using Steam API would still make these considered gambling, depending on the government. Your opinion is irrelevant (in this suggestion) if you’re going to mention gambling law and governments cracking down on loot boxes.

I don’t like any of your suggestions in this post.
As @HentaiSenpai mentioned, it ruins the immersion in the game.

However, an approach I would like to see done with cosmetics goes something like this.

Rather than have standalone cosmetics, I would like these cosmetics to reskin existing clothing and hats much like the weapon skins do with weapons. Weed out all of the outlandish and otherwise memey content in order to fit the darker theme and cosmetics could be implemented properly. (I’m speaking on behalf of the elephant hoodie, rainbow gear and mythical effects.)

Perhaps create a reskin of the farmer’s hat that is actually a sheriff’s hat for example. Just tossing in ideas.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.