Option to Add Pronouns to the Bio Section

How would any of this even happen? This is a forum for people with common interest of a goddamn videogame, I don’t know why you are so violently opposed for something so seemingly insignificant and making such wild theories on what could happen.

8 Likes

I don’t know what that is.

Those places don’t have a place to put your pronouns besides your bio which is function that’s already present on forums, you are not answering my question in the slightest.

1 Like

I’m just gonna say that I see no reason to give pronouns any special place past the bio section. I wouldn’t be opposed to a generic message footer like many other forums have though. It’d be a more noticeable place for pronouns if you feel like it’s crucial that everyone is aware of them.

3 Likes

I feel like this particular line is both relevant, and something that has been somewhat disregarded throughout this suggestion’s discussion:

The forum has unambiguous issues with bigotry- to be precise, transphobic sentiment- and I feel like some steps should be taken to address this issue; if not via an increase in moderation, than by a gesture of goodwill to reaffirm the notion that LGBT individuals are an accepted and valuable part of the community. To address people’s concerns with it being an unnecessary feature and data collection, I’d say to just make it an entirely optional field- that way, the implementation satisfies both parties.

11 Likes

JUST PUT IT
IN YOUR FUCKING BIO

JESUS CHRIST ITS NOT THAT HARD

2 Likes

You’re missing the point. It’s not precisely about the objective utility of the feature- it’s about demonstrating that LGBT members of the community are valued and respected within the forums.

5 Likes

Why, suddenly, is a proposal to demonstrate support for the LGBT members of the forums “politics”? And if you’re curious, pesky, I have some very interesting screenshots from a now-deleted thread demonstrating how, precisely, LGBT people could not be accepted on the forums- as if your earlier transphobic statements didn’t prove that point.

7 Likes

Although I initially didn’t want to put my 2 cents in, I finally figured out what was annoying me about this argument/discussion. To sum this up it’s the arguments of “This adds nothing useful” and “But it doesn’t hurt anyone” from what I’ve read. This is my least favorite kind of argument because both sides are partially valid but using very bad arguments and continually going back and forth with the same basic argument reaching no conclusion because no side wants to just give up because they think they’re right.

Just to clarify, I’m on Rom’s side and see nothing wrong with adding gender roles. That is all.
(I know I didn’t really add anything to the argument myself)

8 Likes

Yes

Actually in my opinion, as I said earlier, it would be cool if it were a custom title. For Instance, I can change regular status to president or doctor or local moron or something

2 Likes

I’m not going to continue this asinine, and clearly bad-faith argument with someone who just expressed support for a literal neo-nazi. And just so anyone here uniformed about stonetoss can understand why, exactly, he’s such a terrible person, I’ve provided the handy guide linked above. My final conclusion is:

Pesky’s comments over this thread have demonstrated the exact reason the forums need a pronoun option in their bio. Transphobic sentiment is clearly far too common, and generates an almost hostile environment in some cases- and the forums should do something to work against this entirely malicious force. I will refer you all to my prior statements on the subject- something most be done to address the problem and help make the forums a more hospitable place towards the LGBT community, and having an option for pronouns in the bio would do quite a bit towards that. Submitted for your consideration @moltonmontro.

8 Likes

I’m sure there’s some irony here but I’m too lazy to think of a joke

1 Like

idk, just because he left some wood lying around doesn’t mean he wanted it to be lit on fire

2 Likes

Topic temporarily closed.

Despite eighty (80) non-deleted replies, there’s only a handful that are particularly useful to the original conversation. I know the back-and-forth is a natural thing in conversations, but the forums are not meant for it. Dominating the thread with the same points being restated in each post is neither helpful nor healthy.

I appreciate the attempt by some users to try and distract from the counterproductive discussion with something more lighthearted, but please remember to try and keep it relevant.

• Alternatively: flag posts you genuinely feel are problematic. Flagging posts does actually do stuff (causes automatic moderation, influences human moderation, results in faster moderation).

I’ve gone and purged a lot of the off-topic replies to the thread (racing games, memes, web comics). I likely missed a handful. Some of the more counterproductive replies were also removed—mostly just the super short remarks that added nothing substantive to the discussion.

6 Likes

For the replies that were on-topic and added new opinions: thank you for contributing to the site.

There’s already a good bit going on with the next update to the SDG Forum. If this suggestion was to be implemented in some form or another, it likely wouldn’t be in the next major (topic-worthy) update. The next major forum update will still have the censored wordlist, however, which does include various transphobic (and other problematic) slurs/vulgarity.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 9 hours.

imo I think a footer/signature system like Craven suggested is the best way to go (if possible). If you want to, you can put your pronouns there and it’s easily visible on each of your posts. If you don’t want to/need to put your pronouns there, you can put something else. I don’t have any issue with having a separate field for pronouns, but I think it would be a bit niche, abused often, and a signature would solve the problem just fine.

2 Likes

I’ll just drop my two cents here then

while I think the most preferable way rn is in fact to just add them to your BIO, I don’t see anything wrong putting them next to your name like a role (i.e. map curator).

I fail to see however how the fuck this feature would turn the forums into a “lefty hellhole like resetera”?? It seems really petty that you’d think that considering the entire deal with the pronouns in bio thing is so people don’t be disrespectul to someone by assuming their pronouns wrongly.

and, well, sorry Nelson/Molt I love you two, but the forums are kind of a dumpster fire already and I’m sure you two are aware of it.

Renaxon, Kerfucko/Pond and Leprechaun have already said what I wanted to, so thank you three for making my life easier on this

and a final message from me: this entire discussion could’ve been avoided if y’all weren’t petty fuckheads to each other, and played F-Zero GX as told.

4 Likes

Unturned community has gone too far.

1 Like

3 Likes