Quick idea for guns spawning

Guns and ammo are already planned to be rarer, but some people seems worried about this, as some people see it as disadvantageous in some manner. Anyway, I’ve been thinking about a way on which guns could be still fairly common (mostly in military areas [not as common in any area as in 3.x]), but would also be realistically balanced to make them feel like they’re rare and also harder to manage.

My suggestion is to make guns spawn often with reasonable deterioration.

Isn’t this already implemented in 3.x?

Yeah, but even like that, guns can still shoot a lot without jamming or misfiring, nor even breaking the inner mechanism and/or making the weapon risky to use. As weapon degrading will be much more realistic in Unturned II, it can be made to this to happen to any damaged weapon.

How you suggest that to work?

It is planned for guns to be assembled and disassembled by individual parts. These parts might have to be maintained and/or replaced individually in order to make the guns work properly and also less prone to malfunctioning.

Further degradation causes

Little we’ve known about wich kind of damage would the parts of these guns take besides use degradation over time. So I’ve thought on some types of damage that a gun may take to need its parts to be inmediately fixed or replaced.

• Water, dust, mud, sand or snow on inner mechanisms (some guns are designed in a way these aren’t affected that much by those)
  • Blood and turned acid on inner mechanisms (may jam and corrode the gun, respectively)
  • Broken parts by explosions or big falls (could be either fixed or replaced. Driving over these would also break them)
  • Broken parts by blocking heavy melee (considering this would give a nice touch)
  • Overheating (or directly throwing your gun into fire, lol)
  • Chemical corrosion and/or rust (for dead zones and underwater loot, respectively)

So maybe guns could be as common as in 3.x, but most guns would have to be fixed properly in order to use them. This also means that some guns will have some parts broken that will need replacement or advanced fixing, making scrapping guns for spares something useful rather than just getting “metal scraps”.

DISCLAIMER: personally I'd prefer guns in Unturned II to be as common as in 3.x just in the merely *easy* (noob) difficulty.

About advanced fixing

In 3.x you need more advanced levels of repairing skills in order to fix more advanced guns. This same principle must be applied in 4.x but in a deeper and more realistic way, in order to make it more balanced and to not be so easy for anyone to carry on high tier guns.

So aside all things, I suggest adding a new skill gathegory: Gunsmith.

This skill specialization will allow the player to fix and maintain more advanced guns and more efficiently. Of course, higher tier guns, the way a starter gunsmith may know how to assemble, disassemble, maintaining, and later on fixing the guns, it would be necessary to essay trial and error by success chance or something similar, or reading an instructions manual or book as a helpful shortcut.

It could also allow very advanced players specialized in Gunsmith skills to do alike as featured in Brain/Out (and other games), on which you can hack and tweak the guns pieces to improve them and making the gun perform better, with a chance of failure according to your level and gun tier, on which case you could degrade or break the treated component of the gun instead. (@GreatHeroJ need your thoughts here :+1: ). This also includes crafting more and better makeshift attachments for guns.

Hope you enjoyed the post, I’m really curious about your thoughts!

• All ideas are awesome, fair and realistic
  • I like this, but there’s a problem… (comment)
  • Maybe it would work much better if instead… (comment)
  • Bad idea, totally disagree
0 voters
6 Likes

Technic system? Mass disassembly?
Sign me up!

(It’s both balanced and realistic, so honestly I don’t see a problem)

2 Likes

Yes.

So, basically, you find one gun, then you find another of the same one and you can use it to swap parts till your gun has all the better parts from the one you just found?

Yes. Just imagine you find e.g. 2 Maplestrikes, one with the barrel bent and chambering system helplessly broken, and the other one is pretty fine, but got’s broken buttstock and with trigger system in need of lubrication; disassemble both, arm one with all good parts, do the proper maintain and there you go!

1 Like

I like that, like, a lot. This might be hard though with some hand-fitted guns, like a Luger for example.

Nice!

Maybe if your lower skilled/less wealthy, you can do “makeshift” repairs, which puts a band-aid on the problem, but in the long (and short term) much more costly.

(Like beat gun barrel into place, ducktape stock, now it’s hipfire is much worse and accuracy is vary noticeably lower, alongside condition even more quickly going down)

4 Likes

I just imagine myself going into a military base finding an eaglefire, but it has no mag and no stock, so even if I have a mag and ammo it’ll be a ■■■■■ to use because of the missing stock, or maybe a missing component that’s necessary for it to work, or really low quality that makes it jam every couple of shots.

perfect idea

I can imagine makeshift repairs having a chance of catastrophic failure.

2 Likes

please dont talk about skills maybe a workbench in your base to repair but skills… this dont make sence.
how go work?
how you obtain?
etc…

I will since it’s planned, just not concluded yet.

Of course it does; try disassembling and assembling back a Glock in less than 40 seconds without reading any manuals. If you make it, congrats! You’re officially skilled :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I thought this example could mean something, lol.

I’d rather skills not be necessary to repair or maintain any weapon, but skills making actions, faster, more effective, or more efficient is fine. I’m on the fence about whether or not they should allow players to craft items, and components they couldn’t otherwise make.

4 Likes

Either way, it should take you more time to analyze and know how to maintain an advanced gun properly (without reading about it) rather than with civilian-grade fairly common guns. And making craftable basic components, such as makeshift scopes, tied double-magazines and makeshift buttstocks should be among the basic gunsmith capabilities. Furthermore advancement in this specialization might allow players to craft more efficient/durable makeshift components.

2 Likes

I think it should be a skill, but skills should be things that you improve the more you do it, but require more advanced tasks to raise your skill.
Example: Cutting down trees a lot can make you good at it, but eventually, your skill gain from cutting down the trees slows to a crawl because you can only get so good at it.

1 Like

continue dont making sence is to transform unturned in a reparation simulator probabily you response is a joke!

or you talking about create pieces and replace in the weapon??

I didn’t say that you have to do it manually (with a separated interface and everything), like you actually have to in World Of Guns: Guns Disassembly.

I wouldn’t say “create” either, this isn’t Rust nor Minecraft. I’ve clearly said about REPLACING damaged parts for healthy parts.

but this remove the concept of skill no?

You’ll still need skill to disassemble and re-assemble guns faster; maintain, repair and hack them more efficiently and with less failure chance (assuming you might break a component when trying to hack it); create more and better makeshift attachments.

1 Like

now make sence =D
but i prefer things like a workbench a litle hard to constroy in a base this would go place the aspect of survival in first place.

It was all assumable :unamused: (even when I’m the guy who likes to explain every single detail)

1 Like

I’m not sure it makes sense for a gunsmithing skill to cover so many operations, but exclude so many others. Carving a piece of lumber into a stock with the comb at the height you want and with the right length of pull certainly has more in common with carving a fishing pole than it does duct taping two magazines together.