RFC: Banning Purchase of Individual In-Game Items

Why do people feel the need to count and comment on other people’s money? But since it was hot topic here and single server was picked as an example why dont we touch more?
According to estimates (because server is showing their sales officialy)

$54,593 total
$1,820 a month

To my knowledge this server has 1 server and it is RP type of server.

Why not we investigate some of the biggest networks in community.

One popular server network owns 28 servers. Their servers cover whole spectrum of gameplay: semi vanilla, vanilla+, kitpvp, norma, rust, rp, unturnov, creative, creative arena.
Server sells multiple packages, permanent and temporary which includes all sorts of things: credits, vaults, bigger payouts, items, kits etc, again whole spectrum.

So, since we all like to count others money, lets do some theoretical analysis on this case. If 1 server which covers one type of gameplay can make ~1800 per month, how much can make server network with 28 servers and all possible gamestyles? We can just speculate.
Im not trying to protect one side or another, but lets be hypocritical and put emotions aside. It seems like currently all conditions are aimed to give positive outcome for some specific server networks while putting other networks down.
Having one servers network owner in mind, who suggested to let sell monthly ranks and Nelson was like “yeah, maybe you are right, monthly ranks will be treated as permanent ones”. Take a guess what this owner is selling on his server store? Nelson is genuinely nice person, but what is happening looks like dirty politcal games. Everyone should be treated equally. P.S., yes i heard that that this server owner, whose server was picked as an example isnt the most honest person and i hope eventually players will see that too and will find a better place to play. (if everything was truth).

1 Like

Including Brad and Fudgy’s feedback from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1J2USV4qAA

My main takeaway being that it would also be good to have an option for server owners to tag their servers as “no microtransactions” or “cosmetic-only microtransactions”. Players could filter the server list according to these, and falsely using this setting would result in a ban.

5 Likes

There is many ways to make donate not P2W and it will be profitable.

3 Likes

Stop being reasonable, players cannot play the game how they want to.

Or you could just, uh, not force people to play the game a way you deem okay.

Okay, thats a good idea

Ban of what? The dude that (didn’t) set the flag? The server owner? The server itself?

Not going to lie, I don’t see this worki9ng any which way.

1 Like

Ban all micro transactions that include perks in servers, these are the servers that are ruining the game. Get rid of them, only allow purchases for donations or name changes, these money hungry bastards are the reason unturned is crumbling

3 Likes

yes thats where you would have a moderator manually check it.

boo hoo, the servers that are currently making 1,000+ dollars in profit a month will no longer be able to run their machines that cost 3$ a month to run. Why wont people think of the rich goons???

this

Yes! They are making this much money off of A SINGLE ROLEPLAY SERVER. This isn’t even a huge franchise with over 20 servers, its just one RP server, and it makes $1,820 a month.

I agree! I would do it myself but most websites do not include that handy widget that says all the donations they receive.

This is … a start. Would I prefer P2W servers getting destroyed and thrown out of business entirely? Yes. Would I prefer them being segregated and organizing into a different filter on the serverlist?
That is not preferable but it is better than what there is now.

Yes precisely! It is ruining the game, it has already ruined the game, but I would prefer to salvage what is left and have the serverlist become good again.

I made clear that this was a problem over 3 years ago in 2018 when I made a satirical thread where I would, every single day, take a screenshot of the Unturned serverlist sorted by most players, and then highlight how almost every server was P2W (and nitpicking other problems too).

The reality that the serverlist was so bad made SDG forum mods call the thread “negatively targeting servers” and “solely a hateful post meant to discredit specific/named servers”. The Unturned serverlist was so bad three years ago, that criticizing it was seen as hate and targeted harassment.

4 Likes

Hey Nelson, I’d like to have an call with you myself. If you could reach out to me that would be fantastic. My discord is zman1064#1064

7 Likes

Not gonna lie Nelson, I don’t think that the people who took part in this forum post are going to be very happy that you had a interview with 2 of the most well known P2W server owners, without at least 1 person who is an advocate against P2W in the interview with you.

It is clear from the interview that their points are pretty much the same that Modern mo has brought up here, and those have already been deconstructed and debunked. Especially the “servers are expensive to run” part, which you tackled yourself in the interview.

If Fudgy and Brad had something more to say, they should have come here and made a comment of their own. I feel like this was a bit insulting to anyone who took their time to write something for this thread.

4 Likes

No. We need to get rid of this servers, cause kids will join this servers anyways. And don’t listen Brad - he is soulless hypocrite, who imagines his players as money pouches. Fudgy is strange too. This person has a history of being heavily disliked in the community mainly because of a certain someone taking maps to use for his whitelisted server.
Why they have a bigger say in the future of Unturned more than other people?

Oh my, the problem with P2W servers was still there since 2018. It’s been so long.

No. We need to get rid of this servers, cause kids will join this servers anyways. And don’t listen Brad - he is soulless hypocrite, who imagines his players as money pouches.

1 Like

Big brain. Thanks for the math and putting this into perspective of how rediculos this is

1 Like

@SDGNelson
The situation with the user MyTwoSicilies in particular where servers can DDOS their competitors offline is completely unacceptable and at times is an extreme problem. Because some shady P2W server can hypothetically knock a more honest brick & mortar server offline if it gains traction so to speak. Shit like this also needs to be prevented.

1 Like

But that has nothing to do with nelson you can be DDosed on any game the best solution is to pick a host with higher-end DDoS protection or ask if you can upgrade on your current one for a additional price.

Hey Nelson, I’d like to have an call with you myself. If you could reach out to me that would be fantastic. My discord is zman1064#1064

If Fudgy and Brad had something more to say, they should have come here and made a comment of their own. I feel like this was a bit insulting to anyone who took their time to write something for this thread.

I agree that it would have been preferable for them to post here. They insisted that their points would be better communicated by a call however, so the compromise was that I could include a recording here. zman I figure your points have already been raised here and in your videos?

9 Likes

I believe I mentioned this in my comment on his video, but the next step that will help in cases like that is when the Steam Datagram Relay (SDR) supports the Master Server. Currently all of the traditional Steam APIs provide the server IP, whereas with SDR support the server IP will be hidden. In the meantime anyone can contact me if it is something SDG could help with.

5 Likes

Ban of what? The dude that (didn’t) set the flag? The server owner? The server itself?

By default the flag would be unset. If a host specifically set it to “no microtransactions” and yet their server has microtransactions then there would be a warning / ban. The reason it cannot be automatic is all server microtransactions are done using mods and external websites.

4 Likes

My main concerns are what Brad is gonna do…
He claims to you in this video or atleast he makes it seem like he is very much hands on while he isnt…
I can confirm as a first hand witness that he has asked us to focus on people that are willing to use money…

While i dont wish to stir this up any further i personally fear that Brad and networks like it will just find creative loopholes…

I only wish the best for our communities and our groups…
I’ve buildt a large friend network in unturned one of which i trust with my life however the large money flow on Brad’s RP in particular honestly scares me…

About 1 year ago Brad took money out of the servers budget to by MrSpaml a graphics card as a gift for being the servers favorite

The fact that he pulled from a donation budget to give his friend a gift…

I wish for servers to live on… not like this…
Personally i only really trust playing on Bootleg Legacy as of now because im aware that there will be no purchases and even the ones that are are permanent such as a mansion or a cosmetic kit…

4 Likes

My Two Sicilies here, commenting on behalf of zman1064 because he’s still on cooldown:

I totally agree with zman by the way, we should also be able to voice ourselves in a interview.

5 Likes

(My cooldown finally ended yay) I’d like an interview with you about this situation, I have given my opinion in the past, but I think it would only be fair if an Interview took place. I’m thinking I could also include questions from people in the community.

6 Likes

I totally agree with zman by the way, we should also be able to voice ourselves in a interview.

(My cooldown finally ended yay) I’d like an interview with you about this situation, I have given my opinion in the past, but I think it would only be fair if an Interview took place. I’m thinking I could also include questions from people in the community.

Well, the difference is that you guys are willing to post on the forum. This whole thing is an interview with questions from the community. What should have taken only a few minutes as text took 53 as a voice call. Generally I would be happy to do an interview about the game or future of the game, but specifically for this issue it seems to me that each perspective has already been reiterated.

5 Likes

There are so many things to address from the interview, it just seems unfair.