RFC: Banning Purchase of Individual In-Game Items

I believe I mentioned this in my comment on his video, but the next step that will help in cases like that is when the Steam Datagram Relay (SDR) supports the Master Server. Currently all of the traditional Steam APIs provide the server IP, whereas with SDR support the server IP will be hidden. In the meantime anyone can contact me if it is something SDG could help with.

5 Likes

Ban of what? The dude that (didnā€™t) set the flag? The server owner? The server itself?

By default the flag would be unset. If a host specifically set it to ā€œno microtransactionsā€ and yet their server has microtransactions then there would be a warning / ban. The reason it cannot be automatic is all server microtransactions are done using mods and external websites.

4 Likes

My main concerns are what Brad is gonna doā€¦
He claims to you in this video or atleast he makes it seem like he is very much hands on while he isntā€¦
I can confirm as a first hand witness that he has asked us to focus on people that are willing to use moneyā€¦

While i dont wish to stir this up any further i personally fear that Brad and networks like it will just find creative loopholesā€¦

I only wish the best for our communities and our groupsā€¦
Iā€™ve buildt a large friend network in unturned one of which i trust with my life however the large money flow on Bradā€™s RP in particular honestly scares meā€¦

About 1 year ago Brad took money out of the servers budget to by MrSpaml a graphics card as a gift for being the servers favorite

The fact that he pulled from a donation budget to give his friend a giftā€¦

I wish for servers to live onā€¦ not like thisā€¦
Personally i only really trust playing on Bootleg Legacy as of now because im aware that there will be no purchases and even the ones that are are permanent such as a mansion or a cosmetic kitā€¦

4 Likes

My Two Sicilies here, commenting on behalf of zman1064 because heā€™s still on cooldown:

I totally agree with zman by the way, we should also be able to voice ourselves in a interview.

5 Likes

(My cooldown finally ended yay) Iā€™d like an interview with you about this situation, I have given my opinion in the past, but I think it would only be fair if an Interview took place. Iā€™m thinking I could also include questions from people in the community.

6 Likes

I totally agree with zman by the way, we should also be able to voice ourselves in a interview.

(My cooldown finally ended yay) Iā€™d like an interview with you about this situation, I have given my opinion in the past, but I think it would only be fair if an Interview took place. Iā€™m thinking I could also include questions from people in the community.

Well, the difference is that you guys are willing to post on the forum. This whole thing is an interview with questions from the community. What should have taken only a few minutes as text took 53 as a voice call. Generally I would be happy to do an interview about the game or future of the game, but specifically for this issue it seems to me that each perspective has already been reiterated.

5 Likes

There are so many things to address from the interview, it just seems unfair.

i think the main issue is the younger player base of servers, they can be very gullible to buy useless expensive things on the server

Okay for anyone interested: town hall in the Unturned Official Discord voice channel in 9 minutes.

8 Likes

Looks like the town hall has already ended.

Thank you Nelson for spending the time to hang around the server, and everyone who came in to tune in and/or ask questions :griefer:

7 Likes

Nobody in their right mind would watch / listen to this entire recording, but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_48aBXO3Y4

Thank you to the Unturned Official Discord server moderators, and sorry for the complete lack of heads up. We should maybe do this in the future but with a schedule in advance. Thanks to everyone who listened and participated! Hopefully it helped clear things up.

Current plans are:

• Add option for server hosts to include a support link or button in the info screen and pause menu.
  • Add option for server hosts to indicate whether server includes microtransactions or not, and whether they are cosmetic-only.
  • Add filter in the server browser for the microtransaction option.
  • Move blacklist from client to a backend server, this way it can be updated.
  • Create web page with a list of blacklisted servers and reasons.
  • New rule prohibiting the discussed miscrotransactions, but allowing permanent purchases, donations, monthly subscriptions, etc. This will help with the most egregious pay-to-win, and protect players from spending huge amounts of money really quickly.
  • Announcement of rule in Kuwait update, warnings begin two weeks afterwards, bans four weeks afterwards.
12 Likes

Make this a rule

2 Likes

The sad thing is weā€™re going to make this whole list of blacklisted servers and include ā€œno microtransactionsā€ as a search filter, but it wont apply to P2W servers at all, just ones with the one-time purchases.

so as it stands, in essence, this doesnā€™t fix the serverlist at all. P2W servers get away with being P2W without being filtered or blacklisted in any kind of way, and Nelson and his team of moderators spend tons of time on something that isnā€™t going to yield measurable results for the community because its too little.

Going to make a post reviewing the entire video with Fudgy and pointing out all the bullshit he had to say, and play the Unturned community video once and write down any positive ideas and nullify the negative ideas. So stay tuned.

1 Like

So like grey area with lots of confusion. Why not just keep as it is (ok, add filter, no big deal) or remove micro transactions fully. Why we are creating chaos in already chaotic community? Do you want to see creativity and determination in those false reports? Final result:
Server owners- confused
Radicals - unhappy
Players - i dont know what is going on, but what and where should i report? Epic :rofl:

so as it stands, in essence, this doesnā€™t fix the serverlist at all. P2W servers get away with being P2W without being filtered or blacklisted in any kind of way, and Nelson and his team of moderators spend tons of time on something that isnā€™t going to yield measurable results for the community because its too little.

I disagree. This is a good start to a possible launching pad on the road to ridding Unturned of the most outrageous instances of P2W, but as you and other peoeple have said, this wonā€™t completely wipe P2W off Unturned, probably because this would have to be a gradual process. Removing the ability from servers to have repeatable purchases shows Nelson has aknowledged the problem and is working on it.

And P2W servers are going to be filtered, thereā€™s going to be a filter specific for servers with transactions with rewards, so kits and all those other things that wonā€™t be banned by this idea.

Going to make a post reviewing the entire video with Fudgy and pointing out all the bullshit he had to say, and play the Unturned community video once and write down any positive ideas and nullify the negative ideas. So stay tuned.

You fucking go man, they said so much bullshit that itā€™s just unbelievable how they are still ā€œrespectedā€ by anybody with more than two braincells in the community.

2 Likes

I would like to point out that this comment was a statement of observationā€¦
I was last night contacted both by Spaml and Brad with a request to delete or ā€œcorrectā€ what iā€™ve observedā€¦ However i do not wish to do soā€¦

As by request of spaml for clarification:
The line:

Andā€¦

Are not related the latter was an observation and a comment on what iā€™ve heard not anything i confirmed or denied but a statement of observation.

1 Like

I love that the P2W issue is finally being adressed.
I already have one server network in mind that will get absolutely annihilated by the rules.
They run something around 12 servers, they sell kits, currency to buy items and vehicles, ranks and similar.
I see this networkā€™s servers full with kids 24/7 pumping the server ownersā€™ pockets full every month to buy this shit, and you canā€™t really blame kids for their poor judgement since those servers are always occupying the top of the server list meanwhile smaller nonP2W have no chance breaking through and getting players.

3 Likes

@SDGNelson itā€™s a good start, but we need futher bans. Imbalance P2W kits with cooldown of just 5 minutes and paid admin powers are big issues too.

I agree with these terms. Seems fair

1 Like

Straight up not happening.