The Unturned Community has a Bigotry problem

Great post,
It’s good to see that this issue is finally being adressed, even if nothing has happened yet.
I hope we can finally see some changes for the better, especially because of how severe the problem is.

Unturned has essentially become a breeding ground for bigotry. If you join a random server and proceed to visit their discord there’s like a 90% chance that it will be full of racist/transphobic/far-right and generally foul shit like described above. I sincerely hope everyone can imagine why that’s a critical problem for a block game with an audience full of impressionable children.

12 Likes

First and foremost, I’d like to thank you for bringing more light to this problem. Bigotry and racism is a serious problem not only in real life but also in almost every large online community. I’ve had the displeasure of being a victim of the same sort of personal attacks both in-game and on various discords throughout multiple games and something I’ve come to realize is this:

1. While utterly vile in their nature, every such attack and display of bigotry is more of a trolling attempt than a genuine, personal attack on your character. It has more to do with being a bully and making edgy jokes or insults just to get a reaction out of you. More often than not, they go the path of least resistance when choosing their insults. If you have a LGBT flag in your profile, you’ll get called a pedophile or the f slur more than someone who has a “neutral” profile. I’m not saying you should hide who you are or be afraid to showcase it, quite the opposite. But if these attacks are doing genuine damage on your mental health, please seek help. I’m not being condescending in any way when I say this but there is a global mental health pandemic and there are professionals who would love nothing more than to give you the help you need.

2. It is impossible to truly stop/censor bigotry no matter the platform. Every video game with a sizeable community has problems with this. A strong, official stance would be nice but I’ve seen time and time again how ineffective they are. The SDG team simply doesn’t have enough resources to more effectively monitor or moderate all of their platforms. I truly think the forums should be an exception to this rule, but I don’t think the team is just turning a blind eye to this issue. They simply don’t have the people to always keep an eye on what’s going on. Don’t think of this as me telling you to give up, because you shouldn’t. But I hope you realize what an uphill battle you are fighting. Huge platforms with infinitely more resources like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and Instagram haven’t been able to solve this problem for however long they’ve been in business. You can’t expect SDGs team of two to accomplish it either, which leads to my third point.

3. Words on the internet can’t hurt you unless you let them. If you read the wall of text I wrote, you’ll already know my stance on bullying and how serious of a problem it is. And before you call me insensitive, think about it. A co-worker, family member or friend insulting you is different because they know you. But getting upset at what some completely irrelevant stranger who can’t physically affect you and or who you will never meet in real life is unsound. I’m not coming up with this on my own, this is something qualified physiatrists try to help you understand. Bullying sucks and it does hurt but you can grow something of a thick skin or immunity if you train yourself to. This will help you feel more comfortable in whatever online community you want to participate in.

Sorry for the wall of text, most of this is copy pasted from other similar threads in different communities. Nobody ever comes up with a miracle solution and nothing changes.

TLDR; Internet bullying sucks but it can’t be stopped. The SDG staff team don’t have the resources or the means. An internet insult should carry less weight to you because it is sent by somebody who doesn’t know you or will ever meet you. Please seek professional help if internet bullying is seriously affecting your mental health, I mean it sincerely.

I’d like to thank everyone else for contributing to this discussion, even the ones whose replies were deleted.

5 Likes

While I agree the SDG team doesn’t have the resources to police the internet, what’s being asked is for the forums & Unturned Official to be mopped up and for SDG itself to take a harder stance on bigotry.

1 Like

I would have to disagree. We absolutely do not take a ‘neutral’ stance. We take those things seriously and moderate users who discriminate. I also haven’t noticed anyone on the team make any transphobic remarks. Would you like to share where you have seen one?

This is what it boils down to really. Well put.
@Shadys reply is also spot on, I don’t think I could add much more than that.

okay

6 Likes

oh, and to add on to this a little
taken seriously?

i dont wanna delve into this too much, as its not the point of the orignal post.

8 Likes

I’m not sure if you want an explanation for my actions. Regardless, if you/anyone else were offended by my statements then I sincerely apologize. I will be more mindful of what I say from now on.

2 Likes

it seems like a few of my comments which proved my points have been deleted, and i havent gotten a system message about it, weird. perhaps some sort of site error?

4 Likes

the pineridge elite are watching…

5 Likes

They silenced their opposition

6 Likes

was likely deleted due to irrelevance to the forums

4 Likes

Some minor updates:

• I listened to most of the “Alt-Right Playbook” videos so far. In particular I found “You Go High, We Go Low” interesting because in the past “democratic process will solve it” has been my thought on things like the server list.
  • I added he/him pronouns to all of my account profiles.
  • Molt and I didn’t really talk about the post yet because it was the weekend, but I expect we will talk about it today/this week.
11 Likes

I appreciate you structuring this argument with points, as it makes it a lot easier to provide counter-arguments, it is unfortunate that you have experienced bigotry on your own end, however I believe your conclusion is flawed

Counterpoint 1: These are still displays of unacceptable behavior that must be punished, regardless of weather or not it is a “Genuine attack on your character” or not, no one at all should be treated like this, no one should feel unwelcome in a community because of who they are. You must not allow bigots to have a platform whatsoever

Counterpoint 2: Whilst you are correct that it is in fact impossible to completely stomp out this behavior, there are measures that can be taken to reduce it, at this point literally any measure would surpass the whole nothing that the team is doing right now, the fact that unturned is a small community would in fact make it easier to moderate, establish community guidelines and terms of service that server owners must follow, SDG doesn’t need to be going after individual players, if a server has a toxic player base breathe down on their neck to get their act together, or risk a blacklist, This is a Free game with a cartoony style, it is a children magnet, there simply MUST be measures in place to moderate the horrendous behavior in the game, exposing young people to this bigotry normalizes it to them, and facilitates them growing into a bigot themselves

Counterpoint 3: Bad mindset in general, I am not sure how aware you are of how soul crushing it can be to be a part of a thing that you have known and loved for ages, only for it to be insidiously taken over by people who would have you dead on the basis of how you identify or the color of your skin, if you host and cultivate a community, it is your duty to make this community a safe space for everyone in it. E.G SDG has developed the game and made it multiplayer, therefore they have 2 real options.

1: They can provide a safe space to the members of the community he cultivates, extending its life due to its friendly nature
2: They can choose to not attempt any sort of game-moderation whatsoever, this will cause people to gradually leave the game until it gets distilled down to that awful, concentrated toxic player base

You are correct, there is no miracle solution to this issue, but it is foolish to state that “Nothing will change” as there is a myriad of cases where real moderation has led to real improvements, An example to this would in fact be Twitter itself (I will keep this briefed so I don’t get off-topic’ed)

Twitter always sucked, but it was bearable as a member of the LGBT community, after its acquisition by Elon, all attempts to moderate transphobia, homophobia, and other cases of bigotry have almost completely stopped, turning the platform near unusable for those minorities, I’m sure we don’t want the same happening to the Unturned community.

TL:DR This behavior is still incredibly harmful, this game has a large young player base and exposing them to all this bigotry normalizes it in their eyes, creating a new bigot in the process, whilst it’s you are correct that it’s impossible to fully fix this issue, that is irrelevant as there are ways to make improvements to the community, improving it for everyone in the process.
These are changes the team should strive for if they wish to keep a long-standing healthy playerbase.

7 Likes

in my experience, Lots of Imagry and Vile words are Everywhere within the community, Like the Anti-progressive and conflict related context with the Z tanks most of You have seen. I wouldn’t be surprised if more anti-Left stuff will Eventually appear again and try to Evade the rules. then most people will just look for a “REACTION”.

5 Likes

Following up on this, see the statement made by Smartly Dressed Games here: Statement on Hate and Bigotry.

4 Likes

posting here because it proves the point of the orignal post, not meant to be a “bump” of any kind.

Screenshot_260

Screenshot_261

“if anyone said anything that seems like its transphobic, you would ban them” this is seen as an issue.

5 Likes

To clarify since Gen worded it poorly, but:

The moderation tools include things such as: verbal warnings, actual warnings, mutes, softbans/kicks, and actual bans.

Internally, we’ve recently been talking about the challenges that can come with trying to identify potential dog-whistling (and other forms of subtle, hateful content). Staff aren’t being supportive of such content – we recently updated rule #2 to explicitly mention it, and users have been moderated for it – but staff are concerned with incorrectly banning people.

1 Like

Why did you leave out the comment from Postman?

Also, if you really had an issue with what I said to you, why are you posting about it here rather than talk to me in the server where it happened?

1 Like

glad that a statement is finally made, but i also recommend posting this in announcements of the discord.

speaking of the discord, i personally advocate for new moderators to help with this issue. im not saying remove the old moderators however.
the main thing that makes good moderation is diversity - this isnt some weird twitter point, when a moderation team has people from different backgrounds, especially from LGBTQIA+. from some of the reports from today, some moderators actually didn’t recognise some phrases or slurs. whoever these new moderators could be, would be able to educate the older moderators (and also deal with issues themselves) as they would be able to recognise and pickup hate against specific groups because of their own experiences.

2 Likes