Useful NPCs

I have seen suggestions like this, but not in great detail, and it would be something quite useful to have in the game, and make it more fun for people playing solo.

Pretty much, NPC camps can spawn at random in certain areas, and you can find a wide array of NPCs there, which will give random quests in exchange for money, but some NPCs will do more, such as follow the player and defend them/fight alongside them in exchange for payment.

When you enter the NPC’s dialogue window, it will give a variety of options. You can get the NPC to stay where they are/follow you, patrol the area, or dismiss them and they will go back to where you found them.

In your inventory screen, there is a “Party” tab, where you can access their inventory, change their clothes, give weapons/ammo, and put items in their inventory for storage.

When zombies/enemy NPCs are nearby, they will use their equipped weapon to fight them, and will switch to the next available weapon once they have run out of ammo.

When you enter a vehicle, they will board it unless told otherwise, and their position in the vehicle can be changed in the vehicle’s menu (accessing inventory while in the car).

3 Likes

While it would be neat to have teammate npcs I dont think the vanilla game should have them, there is definitely more of a focus on actual teammates when it comes to survival games. It would be weird and frankly annoying for some guy to come up and have his 6 npc friends gun you down. Support for something like this would be really cool for maps tho (stuff like adventure maps or horde mode not survival)

Uh plus you said

you say this like the map is generated, maps in unturned are pre built they probably wouldnt be random spawns, if included.

2 Likes

There should be a limit of 1 or 2 npcs that you can have following you. Unlimited amounts would be really OP (I didn’t really intend it for PvP combat, more for fighting zombies and bandits, so perhaps they should only shoot players if the other player is shooting at you or them).

I meant the camps are randomly spawning within parts of the map, kind of like animal and car spawns in 3.0. So there would only be a few, and they’re not guaranteed to be there.

(worded that poorly, lemme edit it)

Still you could have a team of 2 players with 2 npc a each.
That is a team of 6 not to mention all the ammo they would use up and stuff. Would you really want an npc hanging around getting stuck on everything. Or getting killed by zombies?
Also unrelated, I have the shooting range now yay.

1 Like

NPC’s in a system like this in an open-world game would be two things:

A: Hard to program and computer intensive.

B: Incredibly open to multiple kinds of exploits.

B, naturally, is solvable, but this would require massive amounts of effort and dedication spent on a feature that would, overall, not be worth the effort. Who would actually value these companions beyond just as a simple target dummy for any hostile players? Besides, consider this; even if there’s a set limit on how many NPC followers a player can have, how fps-intensive would these followers with a clan-sized group of people having their limits maxed out be?

Good idea, but impractical overall.

5 Likes
I think you typed the wrong number one of those times.

2×2=4

also congratulations on getting the demo.

that’s 6 c:

It’s actually 6. Each person can have 2. There are 2 people. That’s two npcs per person, that’s 4 npcs and 2 players. 6

I thought you meant a team of six NPCs. I personally wouldn’t have counted players and NPCs as equal, but I can now see that you did, and no further replies about how you arrived at this number are likely to be necessary. (someone explained immediately above you, and someone else is typing at the same time as me)

1 Like

Well seeing as the general consensus seems to be people wanting to make players team together, then this could work.

There is something bad about this, Following npcs would be unfair because they are ais that might have the best aim and so will auto fire upon everything and everyone making it unfair for those who dont have a chance to getting them at all

did you literally not read what I said before? they should only shoot if the other party is shooting, and kill zombies.

Still too op

He doesn’t read, how do you think he manages to post 97 times in 5 days

4 Likes

Sentries in 3.x are more op than that

They don’t walk though and Unturned 3 is pretty broken

1 Like

Hmmmm… Maybe some NPC’s could betray you ? so it’s less OP in the sense that peoples will be more carefull about hiring NPC’s ?

Yeah that would be great, you hire 2 npcs and then right as you have all your loot they kill you. Or you have them in your base and the game decides to make them betray you and they loot all your shit and despawn with it.

1 Like

See the thing is then what if you give them a shotgun, then blam one shot and dead so thats a bad idea. Again

That would just be a bad mechanic, maybe there should be no accompanying npc and instead let them have their main purpose (quest giving, and prob store retailinG)