Vehicle Integrity | In-Depth Thread

Today I will be discussing vehicles in 4.x and how we can improve upon them existing in a multiplayer scene.

Before we address anything for 4.x lets review how vehicles are treated in 3.x’s multiplayer scene.

3.x Vehicles

Vehicles in the 3.x multiplayer scene.

Lets assume the server we’re on is a true vanilla server.
Those who don’t know what I mean by that, its essentially bare bones Unturned. Hasn’t been popular for awhile.

So here we are, in the server… lets find us a vehicle.

There are none.
Dying of laughter

Why?

Ever since the locking feature was added to Unturned, whenever you find a vehicle on a server chances are is its always going to be locked by some guy who left it there. This leaves you with a few options.

1. Walk away in defeat.
  2. Trash the ever living sh*t out of that car because you’re angry.
  3. Steal it. (If you spent a horrendous amount of time grinding for Stealy Wheelies)

For anyone who has anything lower than a military armored vehicle, nobody wins. Vehicles are just too destructible to exist for anymore than for half an hour at most.

But Hound, this is why you make garages to protect your vehicles.

For those thinking this you are missing my point. Protecting your vehicle is easy.
Finding it in the first place is what I am addressing.

4.x Vehicles

What can we do to help vehicles adapt to a populated player environment?

Just have raid damage be the only way to destroy all vehicles. This will help vehicles persist for longer.

To compensate for the newfound resilience of all vehicles

1. Make Stealy Wheelies more common
  2. Make an expensive crafting recipe for the Stealy Wheelies
  3. Ability to destroy locks/hotwire vehicles

And there you have it, vehicles will be seen in all their glory.

Hope you liked it, remember to keep all posts on topic please.
Thank you.

4 Likes

This sounds like it could pretty much be implemented in 3.X, just with adjusted loot tables/map design. I don’t really understand the difference between hotwiring and using a Steally Whealie.

1 Like

I was just sluggin ideas out there, whichever is liked the most.

Rather than making Stealys themselves craftable, perhaps we could roll in the makeshift lockpick concept Nelson has thought of for quite some time.

Lockpicks can be used not only on cars (with RNG perhaps) but with doors and certain containers in the world as well.

5 Likes

In regards to vehicle spawning, I think certain vehicles should have different weights. Currently, a fucking bike takes up the same amount of room as an APC does in terms of how many vehicles can spawn.

This would mean, say, 4 bikes equal one civilian car. Two civilian cars equal one military vehicle. etc

This number should be adjustable via level editor as well, and should change by default depending on map size (idk if this is already a thing in regards to the latter, but hey).

2 Likes

I also think that maybe you should be limited on the number of cars you can lock, that would help. Aslo maybe a decay for vehicles like buildables in 3.0 at the moment. idk

1 Like

I was actually thinking os suggesting to add craftable car keys which won’t allow people to simply lock random cars and leave them there just because you can.
To make things fair, the crafting recipe for the Stealy and the car keys should be relatively the same. And adding the armor rating on cars making them invulnerable to a fucking rake or any melee weapon

4 Likes

With the whole hubbub about modular damage simulation to vehicle componentry I think while you shouldn’t be able to take out the car as a whole (e.g. engine, chassis, etc) you should still be able to, for instance, smash a windshield or slash a tire.

Well, tires do already have a different hit box than the car

Actually the hitboxes of the tire relies on you actually hitting the car, it’s a very annoying downfall on 3.0 vehicle programming

i like more of a craftable key to block vehicles

1 Like

This is a very good idea and I agree. I have spent many hours grinding on vanilla servers and rarely found cars. I usually end up crafting them just because they’re so rare. I like all of the ideas you listed but I have one to add. What if there was a much larger amount of cars? Think about it for a second. In real life (I know Unturned isn’t super realistic) there’s usually 1 or more cars per house. In Unturned, you find about 1-2 cars per huge location, and they’re almost always locked or wrecked, out of fuel, etc. If the maps are larger, then more vehicles will be a necessity. If the maps are the same size then it would be nice to have more vehicles. In singleplayer, cars are commonly found and you can take your pick. While I know that on a busy server people will grab cars immediately, it still allows more people to have cars. What do you guys think?
Edit: I’m new and just found out what necroposting is so sorry for doing that… :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

uh imma be a kettle calling the pot black and tell you what you just did is basically a necropost :expressionless: but youre new and you probably didnt read the rules either way so go read up on the rules and think about if what you are doing is a necropost before you post

He already edited his comment with an apology for necroposting before you said that.

In addition to @anon24515308’s reply, while it was a necropost it was good quality. Necroposts are often bad because they come late to the party and add nothing new or useful, but this person has provided nice detail in their thoughts.

Therefore this necropost is fine.

1 Like

necropost approved

2 Likes

necropost disapproved

A p p r o v e d
4 - Extra Hetero

1 Like

ok so since no one screamed at me for formatting like this yet imma continue with this

@anon24515308

ok so imma just put this straight and tell you that he didnt edit his comment with an apology for necroposting before i said that or i was typing that message when it happened(seems kinda unlikely)

@GreatHeroJ

you are correct it was a pretty high quality post, and i was just making them aware it was a necropost and to try not to do it again(with a little ■■■■■■■ mixed in but i wasnt trying to be toxic if it read like that)

once again please tell me if you dont like my formatting

I don’t like it lol, blocks are supposed to be used for quotes

2 Likes