Where to draw the line of realism and fiction

I Keep seeing posts about adding genetics, getting fatter, filling water bottles, individually filling magazines. I know that this has been discussed a lot but I think that we need to re-open up the topic. Please leave a suggestion as to how we should draw the line of realism. Also instead of just repeating what other people say I suggest liking a post so we can see what kind of “line” gets the most support.

Filling mags will be a feature aswell ans containers bending individually filled. It’s good as tracer rounds will get a purpose. I think we should draw the line at getting fat and limb amputation and mental disorders/ permanent conditions. Or at least ones we are forced into, having traits would be cool and you could chose to have debuffs for chalange or for buffs but no forced debuffs.

6 Likes

AFAIK Individually filling magazines is already a feature working and will be included in Unturned II. That’s okay because I do like tracer rounds every 5th bullet. It’s a useful feature.

As for most other posts, there’s a line that’s determined by the playerbase and genre of game. It’s a border between Realism and Entertainment. Getting fat and spawning in with Autism is realistic, but absolutely not entertaining. In contrast, Laser guns and spaceships are fun, but not realistic. Too much to one side and the players won’t play anymore because it doesn’t tickle their fancy any longer. Too much to the other side and the game loses it’s sense of identity, like 3.0 has already, leaving the 2.0 survival feel for a more PvP oriented style of gameplay.

1 Like

Tell that to No Man’s Sky.

Simply including unrealistic features doesn’t make a game fun, and a feature doesn’t lessen fun, just because it has real world parallels, because realism and fun aren’t directly related to eachother in any way. Realism is just one way of establishing an atmosphere, and doesn’t necessarily improve or hinder fun, while fun is created by pacing, balance, world/level design/generation, recognizable patterns, challenges, etc.

1 Like

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmg

I’ve never seen anyone else suggest that, really ever. But I get the point your saying.

Realism to the fullest extent should be deployed, it just needs to be balanced. I’d really like to see Unturned II develop and grow into a very large, in-depth survival game, and such suggestions as the genetics, or getting fat, or filling canteens (we already have that lol?) would add more to the game as a whole. Seeeeeemingly people tend to be radically against big change and concepts, so such things ever seeing the light of day would probably be slim.

We also have lots of people that straw man suggestions and then people see it that way and only that way. Evidence for this is literally in this thread -

Suggestions regarding things similar Project Zomboid’s traits come to mind.

The main difference between those suggestions and yours being that those suggestions let players choose their traits, rather than it be up to complete RNG.

Looking at some of the most liked suggestions? I’d disagree. I don’t think it’s fair to say that just because people don’t think those kinds of suggestions (genetics, PZ traits, etc.) would benefit the game. People are definitely open to big changes and new concepts.

Just not ones they dislike.

EDIT: There’s not all that much “radical” hate against the suggestion either, just the less-tame things. Seems like there’s people who are fine with nearsightedness and farsightedness for the most part (ignoring potential impacts on the irl player due to it) just because it gives a use to things like Regular Glasses and adds interesting play regarding how preferring to wear glasses than not can disrupt the desire/ability to wear things like goggles/NVG.

4 Likes

How do I sort by most liked? Because whatever is ‘most liked’ may not be “big change and concepts”.

I wasn’t saying hate, and I was just using it as an example and stuff. But you get it or what not. :grin:

Many, if not all of the most-liked concepts, are definitely groundbreaking in their own right. There’s zero correlation; if anything it’s the reverse. I think what’s just happened here is that people have grown so accustomed to disagreeing with your topics that it has the chance to skew your perception of what makes a “good” post. At the end of the day it just comes down to what would most benefit UII as a whole, combined with how well the post was executed.

For example, 3 of the top all-time suggestion topics, with 50, 40, and 30 likes respectively:

1 Like

Do you notice that all three of those are improvements on mechanics that existed in 3.X, rather than anything fundamentally new.

@RainOfPain125 people dont like some suggestions of yours as they would be extremely annoying to play with, like your traits post (but nore like random mutations). I geuss i get the nearsightedness and farsightedness but your other just arent cool to add (especially when you consider that you suggested you get it permanently and its rng). So, back to your point about people not liking new things, your only said this on YOUR posts, (which most have had very controversial topics) which most people havent liked (ie, no official server pass and traits).

1 Like

I feel like we cant just draw a line on where things get to realistic, instead it should be determind by balance, feeling and enjoyment.

When i think about realistic mechanics/content i dont want it to be realistic because it should be but rather on if it is a fun and enjoiable feature.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.