Additional Eaglefire components

First off: Eaglfire.

https://github.com/SmartlyDressedGames/Unturned-4.x-Community/issues/183

The above link goes to textual content with the implication of even more modular guns in addition to the increased attachment slots. Rather than revive Modular Weapons is a Bad Idea? or Attachments, I’m just going to roll with this.

List of component & attachment types

So, let’s assume this system is implemented, and that all the currently listed component slots/types on the GitHub issue are actually implemented with it.

• Lower receiver
  • Upper receiver
  • Stock
  • Grip
  • Handguard
  • Barrel

In case anyone has forgotten, these are the current attachment slots:

• Barrel Muzzle
  • Canted Sight
  • Grip
  • Magazine (can accept multiple ammunition types in one magazine)
  • Sight (can possibly iron sights and reflex sight at the same time)
  • Tactical
  • Underbarrel

Also: iron sights are divided into a front iron sight and rear iron sight (although they are still one item). When you equip iron sights, remember that they will no longer look awkward half the time since it’ll now adjust to the hook locations on the individual weapons.

Potential components???

Lower Receivers

So lets talk about the actual components. The lower receiver would, assuming this GitHub issue implies a more modular gun modding system, just be the most basic form of the gun, and the base we build on.

• Eaglefire Lower Receiver

:arrow_up: and that’s it, in this case.

That’s also it for my comprehension as to what should be added for everything else, assuming this GitHub issue is more than just an implication. We must ponder how many new mechanics/stats will be added to gunplay to make this worthwhile to begin with. (Or, moving things around so that or controls your amount of recoil recovery instead of it being a flat multiplier on the gun.)

Stocks

Personally, the main possible thing that comes to mind would be a telescoping stock. Since attachments will be able to affect inventory item size, this could possibly allow for a more compact size while in the inventory (similar to being without a stock) without the stability of a fixed tactical stock.

Everything else…

??? Send help. I’d assume some of the last few components would affect ballistics or the attachments you can equip, but I’m not too sure what else they’d (noticeably) be able to have an effect on

Also: what will happen to Adaptive Chambering with something like this? Replaced for the greater good forever? What about stuff like sears? :thinking:

3 Likes

I’d love for a more modular weapons system to come into play, but I doubt it’d exist until reasonably down the road.

personally, i’m excited as to the kinds of things that could be done with this. will components be compatible based upon caliber/weapon system (i.e. eaglefire and maplestrike parts will be interchangeable), or will each weapon have various unique components? what will each part do? which part defines what the weapon is (i’d assume the lower receiver, but still)? how will rifle stocks (think a mosin’s stock) cooperate with pistol grips?

as for statistics, i’d assume it’d be something like

• Lower Receiver: firemodes, weapon caliber, upper receiver/stock slots; mandatory

• Upper Receiver: fire rate, sight/barrel slots; mandatory

• Stock: recoil control (duh). the idea of telescopic/folding stocks is quite exciting

• Grip: aside from being mandatory to actually equip the gun, i’m not sure. maybe it would effect scope sway?

• Handguard: tactical/underbarrel/grip slots, maybe a sight slot? guess it would depend. could probably also effect recoil control

• Barrel: range and accuracy, duh. handguard slot? mandatory for obvious reasons

that’s what i’d think, anyway. and yes, that does mean i think adaptive chambering would get punked out by upper receivers.

i think what i’m most excited for is that this greatly opens up the possibility for makeshift weapons. the base weapon would just be a lower receiver and you could craft other parts for it. so you could have an SMG base with, like, a 30 inch long barrel, because why not.

tl;dr: ooo FUN, allow speculate paps

5 Likes

You didn’t categorize the post. Literally unreadable /s

Seriously though, nice job with the speculation

Dammmmmm yeah that would be good
Just thought how long that would have taken to write that

took maybe like 10 minutes max

edit: also hey we got pranked, he crunched the receivers into one and removed the grip (or maybe crunched it into the stock/receiver)

This makes sense tbh. The upper receiver and grip had the least viability as a component in terms of functionality and design. I’d personally like to also think that the grip is a part of the receiver.

I do like the idea of different receivers having different fire modes/rate of fire/etc. For example a rarer Eaglefire receiver which also has automatic fire mode.

11 Likes

Personally, I think this removes the uniqueness of a gun. If you can just make your Eaglefire automatic, why bother with a Maplestrike? What makes the Maplestrike worth using over the Eaglefire?

The uniqueness comes from the versatility and level of customization more than from the raw stats of a weapon.

That said of course there’s going to have to be some logical limitations to weapon modification regardless.

3 Likes

Good point, I just want the customisation to not render other guns unique. If we can just mod our guns to fill whatever role, then what’s the point in picking certain firearms?

There’s gotta be upsides and downsides to modding weapons. Say something could give more stability or accuracy but might not allow grips or tacticals to be accepted anymore. Maybe Maplestrike base irons (Carry handle) could provide quicker weapon swap speed because you’re not using a scope.

1 Like

This is definitely something to be looked into and applied. Attachments NEED some sort of downside that actually forces the user to think rather than just mindlessly attaching it to their weapon. Lasersight has a rather visible glow around it, Rangefinder is more of a utility and as such doesn’t have direct effect to combat (I really would like a little green dot to appear where you are looking as to show the Rangefinder’s use), Bayonet increases the length of your weapon which sticks through walls and allows you to be seen easier while crossing corners.

Adaptive Chambering has NO direct downside with only a fire-rate increase. Which, I am aware that the faster fire-rate means that you’re breaking the weapon faster, “higher recoil”, and higher ammo consumption. All of this doesn’t matter when you have higher DPS than the person shooting at you. Kill them, get your ammo back, metal back to repair, and recoil with certain weapons (staring a hole through you Maplestrike) is nearly nonexistent…well when you have attachments but even then…some don’t have enough recoil.

1 Like

inb4 optic thunder eaglefires on kit serversAEG-EVK-OT

3 Likes

Just want to interrupt the above discussion about how much versatility would be too much and mention that while “real” guns will likely have just a couple options to switch between, the makeshift tier of weaponry could end up with a lot of the “wackier” stuff people are familiar with in Unturned.

ie: this post

If different wood types is still a thing in some way, at the very least in color state, I’m curious as to how garbage makeshift weapons using multiple different materials would look.

This system could end up turning the “add more makeshift gun types” idea into just two gun types: your generic pistol thing and your far more customizable “rifle.” Whether or not the makeshift tier should really utilize this mechanic is its own question though.

Should the makeshift tier have that potential to withhold its own that well, or should it be discouraged by letting “real” guns make the most out of the modular components system?

1 Like

I like how you are putting much effort into giving the game a lot of mechanics, but I seriously hope you show some PVE features in the next few devlogs. Most people don’t believe in 4.0 as they believe is it is just a new coat of paint to 3.0’s chaotic gameplay, so try to prove those boyos wrong.

i’d imagine that makeshift guns/components would get the MOST out of a modular components system. after all it’s literally your character going “what if i shove a fucking pvc pipe on my gun?” and that kind of thing.

To be fair that would be a pretty good craftable gun. (For early survival.)

…pvc is plastic.

The real world equivalent of the Maplestrike has a high degree of parts interchangeability with the real world equivalent of the Eaglefire, so the Maplestrike may just be a specific receiver for the Eaglefire.
I don’t think all of the weapon customization should be done through one menu. IRL some guns can have their guns can have their barrels replaced without being entirely disassembled, which is one of their strengths while other guns need to be disassembled to replace their barrels. The same goes for magazines. I think there should be a menu for quick detach attachments, and a separate disassembly for maintenance and extensive modifications.
I like that grips and stocks were combined. PGO grips should be compact. Solid Stocks should offer the best ADS accuracy. Folding/telescoping stocks should be compact and offer better ADS accuracy, but at the cost of a longer deploy time. Arm braces (which are mostly just for getting around legal restrictions IRL) could offer increased hipfire accuracy. Maybe stocks with cheek pads/risers would reduce scope sway?