The Unturned Community has a Bigotry problem

Then Russian nationalism and calls for Ukrainian Genocide shouldn’t be tolerated in front of minors either :smile:

I do not wish to get caught up in a bad faith argument with you on if vehicles that you’ve been making to provoke belong in the game when you have been happy to display the contents of your character in more blatant terms to me before.

2 Likes

What point are you attempting to make here exactly? if you dislike someone based entirely on nothing but their gender/sexual identity you are automatically a bigot, regardless of what religion you follow, literally no one follows their religion to a point, there are so many rules constantly violated by even the highest ranking officials of every religion, using religion to justify bigotry is just an easy scapegoat for being a bad person.

it’s genuinely so baffling that you have to explain to people that being mean = bad

7 Likes

how did we get here dawg :sob:

6 Likes

It would appear that many posts have been removed. The off topic and bigotry clean up is appreciated. Something that has been lost is @calamari comment about how the thread had become an example of the exact bigotry that her post was about.

3 Likes

For the record:
My intentions with this post are to make light of the bigotry problem, Educate on the whys and hows of the problem, and share ways to address it. The reaction to this thread has only served to prove all my original points.

I want the best for this community, and I will do whatever is necessary to help us reach a point where rampant hatred is a thing of the past. We can only get there through cooperation and understanding at a basic level.

6 Likes

The recent posts regarding religion strayed away from the original topic, and have since been removed. Repeatedly derailing a topic will result in a suspension, especially if you’ve already been warned for doing so earlier in the topic.

Please follow the Code of Conduct, follow proper Netiquette, and be mindful of our policy for On-topic Discourse.

7 Likes

I think an excellent way to potentially assist the discussion would be an official statement (or even a stand alone post) reaffirming the SDG stance on the issue, and an outline of the plans to address it. Then of course, a follow through on those plans for real change to be made.

The first step to fixing this is admission of the issue’s existence on a official level.

7 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

For what it’s worth: I am for equality for all gender/race/sexuality, and I consider myself on the left socially/politically/economically. I mention this in regards to reaffirming SDG’s stance, though it sounds like this should also be affirmed in a more official manner as well. I guess this is just a placeholder comment to address part of the OP for the meantime.

14 Likes

as alot of us are, nelson. however, as mentioned in the post, this needs to be cracked down on harder. alot of us say we are supportive but words dont really mean much if we dont take action. an official statement should be made where it matters (i.e, the discord), and the moderators should be educated on whats not allowed to be said. although at this moment i feel the moderators of the discord share the ““neutral”” approach to it, not to mention how i have actually witnessed transphobic remarks from admins in the official server, similar to the examples from the original post. better moderating the discord server for this kind of thing should be one of the first things that happens, wether thats educating current admins, or getting in new ones.

6 Likes

Great post,
It’s good to see that this issue is finally being adressed, even if nothing has happened yet.
I hope we can finally see some changes for the better, especially because of how severe the problem is.

Unturned has essentially become a breeding ground for bigotry. If you join a random server and proceed to visit their discord there’s like a 90% chance that it will be full of racist/transphobic/far-right and generally foul shit like described above. I sincerely hope everyone can imagine why that’s a critical problem for a block game with an audience full of impressionable children.

12 Likes

First and foremost, I’d like to thank you for bringing more light to this problem. Bigotry and racism is a serious problem not only in real life but also in almost every large online community. I’ve had the displeasure of being a victim of the same sort of personal attacks both in-game and on various discords throughout multiple games and something I’ve come to realize is this:

1. While utterly vile in their nature, every such attack and display of bigotry is more of a trolling attempt than a genuine, personal attack on your character. It has more to do with being a bully and making edgy jokes or insults just to get a reaction out of you. More often than not, they go the path of least resistance when choosing their insults. If you have a LGBT flag in your profile, you’ll get called a pedophile or the f slur more than someone who has a “neutral” profile. I’m not saying you should hide who you are or be afraid to showcase it, quite the opposite. But if these attacks are doing genuine damage on your mental health, please seek help. I’m not being condescending in any way when I say this but there is a global mental health pandemic and there are professionals who would love nothing more than to give you the help you need.

2. It is impossible to truly stop/censor bigotry no matter the platform. Every video game with a sizeable community has problems with this. A strong, official stance would be nice but I’ve seen time and time again how ineffective they are. The SDG team simply doesn’t have enough resources to more effectively monitor or moderate all of their platforms. I truly think the forums should be an exception to this rule, but I don’t think the team is just turning a blind eye to this issue. They simply don’t have the people to always keep an eye on what’s going on. Don’t think of this as me telling you to give up, because you shouldn’t. But I hope you realize what an uphill battle you are fighting. Huge platforms with infinitely more resources like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and Instagram haven’t been able to solve this problem for however long they’ve been in business. You can’t expect SDGs team of two to accomplish it either, which leads to my third point.

3. Words on the internet can’t hurt you unless you let them. If you read the wall of text I wrote, you’ll already know my stance on bullying and how serious of a problem it is. And before you call me insensitive, think about it. A co-worker, family member or friend insulting you is different because they know you. But getting upset at what some completely irrelevant stranger who can’t physically affect you and or who you will never meet in real life is unsound. I’m not coming up with this on my own, this is something qualified physiatrists try to help you understand. Bullying sucks and it does hurt but you can grow something of a thick skin or immunity if you train yourself to. This will help you feel more comfortable in whatever online community you want to participate in.

Sorry for the wall of text, most of this is copy pasted from other similar threads in different communities. Nobody ever comes up with a miracle solution and nothing changes.

TLDR; Internet bullying sucks but it can’t be stopped. The SDG staff team don’t have the resources or the means. An internet insult should carry less weight to you because it is sent by somebody who doesn’t know you or will ever meet you. Please seek professional help if internet bullying is seriously affecting your mental health, I mean it sincerely.

I’d like to thank everyone else for contributing to this discussion, even the ones whose replies were deleted.

5 Likes

While I agree the SDG team doesn’t have the resources to police the internet, what’s being asked is for the forums & Unturned Official to be mopped up and for SDG itself to take a harder stance on bigotry.

1 Like

I would have to disagree. We absolutely do not take a ‘neutral’ stance. We take those things seriously and moderate users who discriminate. I also haven’t noticed anyone on the team make any transphobic remarks. Would you like to share where you have seen one?

This is what it boils down to really. Well put.
@Shadys reply is also spot on, I don’t think I could add much more than that.

okay

6 Likes

oh, and to add on to this a little
taken seriously?

i dont wanna delve into this too much, as its not the point of the orignal post.

8 Likes

I’m not sure if you want an explanation for my actions. Regardless, if you/anyone else were offended by my statements then I sincerely apologize. I will be more mindful of what I say from now on.

2 Likes

it seems like a few of my comments which proved my points have been deleted, and i havent gotten a system message about it, weird. perhaps some sort of site error?

4 Likes